Chez Julie Whole30 Log - 4/26/15 Start

chezjulie

W4D23M1   chocolate chili, 1 egg, rainbow chard, green beans, & grape tomatoes sauteed/fried in coconut oil, Amaya Roasting Company Temporado coffee with coconut milk

W4D23M2   chopped salad, tuna fish, grape tomatoes, olives, 2/3 avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W4D23M3   chocolate chili, 1 egg, 1/2 avocado sauteed/fried in coconut oil, Sunflower Flax Snax

W4D23S1    raspberries

Food: Food was fine today. The chocolate chili is better the second day, and especially tasty heated and crisped in some coconut oil.

Feelings: Tired, moody, and hormonal

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W4D24M1   3 chicken sausages (kale & balsamic), sweet potato w/ghee & cinnamon, snow peas, 1/2 GT's Gingerberry Kombucha, coffee with coconut milk

W4D24M2   baby spinach, tuna fish, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, whole avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W4D24S1    banana (all I had at work)

W4D24M3   salmon w/EVOO & TJ's 21 seasoning, red potatoes w/ghee, asparagus w/EVOO, 1/3 GT's Gingerberry Kombucha, coconut shavings

Food:   Good breakfast. I'm starting to deal with food boredom though in general.

Feelings:   I feel a lot better today. I got better sleep than the previous night and had a whole sweet potato for breakfast. I was just a crying, anxious mess last night thanks to hormones and work stress.

I have to go out of town just for the day on Thursday for a meeting. They are ordering Jimmy John's, which of course isn't going to work for me, so I'm going to take:  2 cans of tuna fish, carrot sticks, olives, and a Larabar. It's not perfect but at least it's compliant!  And I think I might make a green smoothie with fruit and coconut milk for the morning, because I'm just going to be rolling out of bed and calling a cab, and I'm not sure I'll have it in me to make a big cooked breakfast. It's not ideal but I don't want to leave it to chance, and the Larabar's there to keep me from noshing on the inevitable cookies in the meeting room. What do y'all think? Do I need to do something more template for breakfast? I can't think what would be super quick.

W4D25M1   salmon w/EVOO & TJ's 21 seasoning, red potatoes w/ghee, asparagus w/EVOO, 1/3 GT's Gingerberry Kombucha, coffee with coconut milk

W4D25M2   2 1/2 chicken sausage (kale & balsamic), large serving applesauce, Gingerberry Kombucha

W4D25M3   rotisserie chicken breast, sweet potato w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice, sauerkraut curtido, Spanish olives, Larabar

W4D25S1    rotisserie chicken leg/thigh, 1/2 avocado, salted, & dark sweet cherries (frozen but warmed up)

Crap, I think I have a cold. I had a bit of a sore throat yesterday, and I woke up very congested today. It could be bad allergies, but I don't think there's anything in the air right now. I wonder if I'll have to miss my out-of-town meeting tomorrow. I'm also wondering how best to feed myself if I have a cold. The usual things I eat when I'm sick as "comfort food" are out! I also hate eating salads when I'm sick, and that's what was on the menu for lunch today. Might have to stop at the store and pick up something else. I'm thinking I'm gonna need to do a lot of soup, some eggs, some fruit, kombucha, & hot tea for the next few days.

UPDATE: Crap, I have bronchitis! The doctor told me to stay home and rest for the next two days, and prescribed steroids and antibiotics. I'm not too happy that I have to take antibiotics during a program that is supposed to be balancing the bacteria in my gut to improve my immune system. And I hope the meds don't negatively affect my results right before Day 30. After the doctor's appointment, I stopped at Whole Foods and picked up a rotisserie chicken, some fruit, and some more kombucha. Did you know that there is no regular soup in all of Whole Foods that is Whole30 compliant? The things we learn on this program! (And by regular I mean a hot soup, either prepared or canned, that is not just a broth for cooking).

Food: I've been struggling today. I was already dealing with some food boredom, and now that I'm sick I don't feel up to slaving over a hot crockpot. My food was all technically compliant today, though, even the Larabar. I did have an evening snack, but my breakfast portions were pretty small and the snack had protein and fat as recommended.

Feelings: Tonight I started to make myself a SWYPO (Sex With Your Pants On) treat that would somewhat approximate a tasty dessert I'd been looking at pictures of online. I took a couple of bites and thought to myself, "This is just too much like the kinds of foods you started the Whole30 to get away from!" and threw it down the sink. Even though I'm on steroids which make me hungry and having a pity party, I just didn't want to give in and eat something like that. As the article says, "The problem is, if you continue to have sex with your pants on, it's inevitable that at some point you're gonna want to take your pants off."

Wait... taking off your pants to have sex is a bad thing? Well, never mind, you get the point. I didn't eat the paleo treat and that's probably a temptation I'm going to have to watch out for after the 30 days is over.  

Thanks, WholeMama, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna feel worse before I feel better.  :(  I went on the Reintroduction forum to ask for some advice, because the antibiotics will change my gut flora, even with some probiotics.

W4D26M1   2 chicken sausages (kale & balsamic), 2 eggs, baby spinach, & mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil w/S, P, & TJ's 21

W4D26S1   Larabar

W4D26M2  a spicy chicken sausage, chopped salad (cabbage, etc.), 2 cooked beets, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, sweet potato w/a li'l ghee & pumpkin pie spice, sauerkraut curtido, 1/2 GT's Gingerberry Kombucha

W4D26M3   rotisserie chicken breast, Earthbound Farm Stand Root Medley (parsnips, beets, carrots) in EVOO & balamsic vinegar, S, P, & TJ's, pineapple slice

Food:   Dang, I'm running low on money for the rest of the month. All this fancy food and Kombucha. I've got some proteins and veggies on hand that I can cook up, including chicken thighs for making Kalua (not Kahlua) Chicken in the crockpot. But I'll need to dial it back to basics for next week's grocery shopping.

Feelings:  Sick in bed watching Girls marathon. 

So sorry to hear you've gotten sick, hope the antibiotics don't cause too much chaos. It seems like you did a good job staying compliant even with the challenging situation - you're doing great! I saw in one of your posts you mentioned digestive enzymes - what are you taking? Can you tell if they help? I keep having tummy issues and I'm wondering if I should try something other than starchy veggies and kombucha to get things going in the right direction.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Thanks, Paige! I'm trying not to run off the rails!

For digestive enzymes, I'm taking Enzymedica Basic (otherwise known as the cheapest ones at Whole Foods that don't contain non-compliant ingredients). I actually feel like I've seen more improvement since starting to drink kombucha and eat sauerkraut... my obnoxious GI problems seem just about gone, but it could also be due to both things. It is the one issue that makes me think, "Could I really eat mostly this way for the rest of my life?" I would like to think of the digestive enzymes, and hopefully the pricey kombucha, as just things I'm supplementing with until everything sorts itself out in there.  :P

yeah, I'm feeling the same way. I had hoped that this style of eating would help alleviate my occasional digestive issues, but it seems that since the 3rd or 4th day of the W30, my occasional symptoms have become commonplace which is something I definitely don't want. I also hate the idea of having to make kombucha (although I really like it), enzymes or other stuff like that a daily fix. I had hoped that as I cleaned up my diet things would regulate and start working properly on their own. Maybe it takes more time than I'd expected. I'm wary of sauerkraut - haven't had it since I was a kid but I remember distinctly not liking it. I may have to work up the nerve to try again.

How are you feeling? I hope you're getting better and the drugs aren't causing you problems.

ALMOST THERE!!!!

Bad news on the "Almost There" thing. I think I'm going to have to extend my Whole30 by another week because of the antibiotics. Here's the medical explanation:

"The gut can also become porous for a short time after a course of antibiotics... Sensitivity to gluten resulting from these temporary causes can sometimes look the same as the symptoms of true gluten intolerance... Antibiotics, high stress levels, or gastrointestinal infections, for example, can all trigger temporary sensitivities to certain foods. When the body has returned to healthy equilibrium, even a sensitive gut can usually sort itself out." -Gut by Giulia Enders 

I couldn't really find any definitive information about how long it takes your gut bacteria to replenish after antibiotics, but a week off of them while getting in probiotics couldn't hurt. I don't want to delay and longer that because I need to wrap up my reintro before a 9-day work trip to the Bay Area. 

On the positive side, I think an extra week could benefit me as far as weight loss.

W4D27M1   2 Applegate hot dogs, baby spinach, mushrooms, coconut oil, 1/3 Larabar

W4D27M2   grassfed hamburger w/ketchup and guacamole on top of green salad (carrots, purple cabbage, cherry tomates) w/EVOO & balsamic vinegar, Gingerberry Kombucha

W4D27S1   Applegate hot dog, 1/3 Larabar

W4D27M3  2 tilapia fillets, baby spinach, mushrooms, coconut oil, TJ's spice, baba ganoush, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/3 Larabar

W4D27S2   Applegate hot dog, baba ganoush

W4D27S3   1/2 Larabar

Food: I learned to make my own ketchup! It seriously wasn't that hard, and I'm lazy. My burger, to go from a local fast casual place that serves organic beef, was really good. Didn't quite fill me enough though so I had a hot dog a little later. Tilapia was a nice change of pace and I forgot how quick it is to saute.

Feelings: Hack, hack, cough, cough. I have noticed that I'm having more cravings in the last few days, maybe because I've been thinking about reintroduction. My meds are making me really hungry.

W4D28M1  2 poached eggs, sweet potato w/coconut milk & pumpkin pie spice, applesauce, Gingerberry Kombucha

W4D28M2  grassfed hamburger w/ketchup & guacamole on top of green salad (carrots, purple cabbage, cherry tomates) w/EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W4D28M3  beef tenderloin, grilled vegetables, EVOO & TJ's 21, watermelon slice

Food:  I'm not hungry at all right now from eating so much yesterday. I ate half a Larabar in the middle of the night and couldn't remember this morning if it had really happened or not. The idea of eating one of my proteins (hot dogs, a plate of eggs, or tuna fish) really turned me off, but I think I came up with a decent breakfast anyway. Actually I ended up being "off my feed" all day today, and had to force myself to eat all three template meals so I wouldn't have some crazy binge later. I had DH pick up compliant take out for us because I was too tired to cook.

Feelings:  This is one of the worst cases of bronchitis I've ever had. I need to cough stuff up out of my lungs but it hurts when I do it.   

W5D29M1  large banana, almond butter, coffee w/coconut milk

W5D29M2  beef tenderloin, grilled broccoli, baba ganoush, EVOO, Gingerberry Kombucha

W5D29S1  1/2 Larabar

W5D29M3  2 Applegate hot dogs, 1/2 sweet potato

W5D29M4  3 eggs, Applegate hot dog, baby spinach in coconut oil, Farm Stand Beets w/squeeze of orange juice 

W5D30M1  tuna fish, baby carrots, baba ganoush, 2 green olives, banana, Amaya Roasting Company Temporado coffee with coconut milk

W5D30M2  TJ's Chili Lime Chicken Burger & leeks in EVOO, TJ's plantain chips, Gingerberry Kombucha

W5D30M3  TJ's Seafood Blend and carrots in EVOO w/TJ's Puttanesca Sauce, blueberries w/coconut milk & flaked coconut

Day 30. I just needed a moment to contemplate that. What a journey it has been so far. I did some preliminary weighing and measuring of myself this morning, and I am definitely down on both the scale and tape measure. I am still clearing this infection and feeling puffy from the steroids, so I'm very happy about my decision to give myself another solid week. (I'm going to start reintroductions on June 4th). I will post my "official" 30 day outcomes tomorrow.

Food: Not much in the house to eat, hence the tuna fish for breakfast. DH and I are both going to do some grocery shopping today. Post-trip to Trader Joe's, I had a a Chili Lime Chicken Burger (these are really moist!) with leeks and a side of plantain chips, which was a nice change in flavors, colors, and textures from my other meals. I heart leeks. :wub:  Please note that the plantain chips are NOT compliant - I read about them on a blog and believed they were okay until I remembered the No Chips rule after I had already put them on my plate. Chips are not a Food With No Brakes for me, so I went ahead and ate the small portion. Dinner was also a nice change of pace because I haven't had anything with real Italian flavors since I started Whole30, and the Puttanesca Sauce is very good.

Feelings: I turned the corner on this bronchitis today and I'm SO glad. Did my meal planning, made it to Bed Bath and Beyond and TJ's, did several loads of laundry and cooked up my lunch.

So here are my "official" quantitative results. Even with two courses of oral steroids, bronchitis, antibiotics, a handful of accidental slip-ups, and an admitted Larabar problem, my body composition changed significantly over the past 30 days.

I lost a little under 7 pounds.

I lost almost 3 inches around my waist.

Clothes and accessories are fitting better at my bra band, waistband, upper arm, wrists, and (?!) feet.

I will give a more complete and reflective report next week after I've had a full week off of antibiotics and steroids.

W5D31M1     1 1/2 TJ's Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage, baby spinach, mushrooms, in coconut oil w/TJ's 21 & spicy mustard, Gingerberry Kombucha

W5D31M2     1/2 TJ's Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage, 2 eggs, butternut squash in coconut oil w/ketchup, 1/2 avocado

W5D31M3     plantain chips, tahini, Spanish olives, blueberries

Food:   I love sausage, fortunately for eating this way, but I do not like the Trader Joe's Garlic Herb Chicken Sausage. Didn't like the flavor or the tough casing. I think my favorite sausage is the Aidell's and I should just stick to that. I was not hungry at all for dinner and couldn't make myself think about eating any more protein, so I had a non-compliant snack at 9:30 because I felt like I should eat something.

Function: I'm going to start tracking when I have this tummy gas to see if I can identify the triggers. I've had it all day today... I woke up with it. 

Feelings:   Crazy night last night with severe flash flooding. I was up in the middle of the night listening to close lightning strikes and worrying about my car. Work has been cancelled today. 

Archived