Chez Julie Whole30 Log - 4/26/15 Start

chezjulie

The template can be hard sometimes. I've gotten in the habit now of not eating any of my food until it's ALL cooked and on the plate. Feels a lot less like snacking, and mentally just helps me a lot. I used to snack while our food was cooking and fill up on not so good foods!

I love larabars, but I cannot buy them, not even for emergencies. They are just too much like a candy bar for me!! Same with nut butter. LOL

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Julie-

I think we started the same day 4/26, today is day 13 for me. Thanks for picking up on the Safeway/Randall's opportunity! We haven't got Safeway but we do have Randall's and I'll check there for the sausages. This is my first W30 and before I started I tried to get ready by making mayo, ghee, chopping, etc - the pre-chopped stuff lasted me about 2 days. I'm the only one in the house doing W30 too - hubby and kids aren't, AND I work at home, so there's a lot of temptation here and I find that not having stuff super ready to go for when I don't want to spend 30 minutes making a template meal is critical. While preparing dinner last night I baked up some sweet potatoes to have on hand and that made breakfast at least easier this morning. I need to pay more attention to the pre-cut veggies at the store, I just tend to get the skeevies about them especially if you find a gross one somewhere in the middle of the pack...

Stay strong! I'm not sure I've got the tiger blood yet, but I do have more energy during the day once the morning fog lifts. I think I'll always have morning fog though, I'm just not a morning person and never have been.

WholeMama, I threw away the rest of my almond butter for the same reason. I don't seem to have an issue with Larabars; I can resist them. But I think I'm going to try next week without nuts or nut butter.

tierramar, we are Whole30 twins. I am not a morning person either. At all! I found that I needed to buy much more food than I anticipated for DH and me. When you're not stopping anywhere to grab a quick something, or pulling anything out of the freezer, you really need to have a lot on hand. I've been cooking up things like chicken breasts, hard-boiled eggs, sausage, and shredded sweet potatoes that I can grab.

I'm glad you are having some more energy. I'm having another day of feeling absolutely exhausted and thinking about leaving work early again. This is not cool. It's really busy at my work right now.

W2D13M1     2 chicken sausage (kale & balsamic), applesauce, left my d*&m sugar snap peas on the counter, coffee with coconut milk

W2D13M2     tuna fish, baby spinach, spring mix, heirloom tomatoes, artichoke hearts, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W2D13S1      almonds (closed fist)

W2D13M3     lamb, fried cauliflower, baba ganoush, tabouli

W2D14M1     3 turkey sausage, 1 hard boiled egg & 1 white, grilled purple cabbage, potatoes, green beans in oil & garlic

W2D14M2     cold shrimp (double portion), lettuce, avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, banana

W2D14M3     pan seared rainbow trout, roasted fingerling potatoes in EVOO, snow peas w/ghee, raw sugar snap peas, watermelon spear

Food: Perfect template day. Bam! I took the mod's advice to increase the size of my meals and it worked. Ate three perfect template meals and no snacks.

W3D15M1     2 hard boiled eggs, greens beans w/EVOO,  snow peas w/ghee, Pink Lady apple, cashew butter

W3D15M2     Neptuna tuna in spring water, guacamole, Banana Chia Pod

W3D15S1     2 Larabars, pistachio nuts (much more than a fistful)

W3D15M3    Zoe's Kitchen salmon, roast vegetables

Food & Feelings: (Edited at end of day)

So today was kind of a cautionary tale about what can happen when your day gets off on the wrong track and you're also out of food at home. Also the challenges of being on the go.  

At breakfast (at my Mom's) I found that I just was not able to eat my third hard boiled egg. I had eaten a good bit already, and I was really turned off to the idea of eating another egg. Within 2 hours I was feeling gassy and nauseous, despite having taken digestive enzymes, almost like I wanted to throw up (and I normally have a cast iron stomach). I wonder if I am developing an egg sensitivity because of eating so many more eggs on Whole30. (Or it could just be that they were hard boiled as jmcbn suggests). 

My lunch choices (at work) had more to do with a funny tummy than my template aspirations.

When I got home at 5:00 I was wanting to settle my stomach, was tired & hungry, and there wasn't much in the fridge because DH is going shopping tomorrow. So of course I ate 2 Larabars. :(  After my nap I ate several servings worth of pistachio nuts.

For dinner, we went to Zoe's Kitchen, where I'm learning you can have a pretty close to Whole30 meal, but not a true Whole30 meal. I had their salmon skewers with double roast vegetables so I could finish off the day more healthily with some protein and veg, and brought half of it home. Their spice rub has a little sugar in it, but since this was such an off-the-rails days, I didn't stress about it.

I'm human. It happens. I will get back on track tomorrow with a fridge full of groceries and maybe no eggs for a while. I'm still very proud of myself for making it through the first 15 days of a totally different way of eating. It has not been a "real" Whole30 since Day 6 when I had some soy and kept going, but I have worked hard and implemented a lot of changes to improve my health.

That's how I usually have them, jmcbn, with no problems, but I was looking for portable protein to take over to my Mom's. I wonder why hard boiled would have a different effect than scrambled or fried.

Quite possibly something to do with the fat you use to scramble or fry the eggs - it will contain lipase which is a digestive enzyme and will help break down the fats that you are digesting.

W3D16M1   leftover salmon chunks, 2 Applegate hot dogs, roast veggies, random cooked green beans, raw heirloom tomatoes, and a fingerling potato, drizzled with EVOO & sprinkled with TJ's 21, coffee w/coconut milk

W3D16M2   baby spinach, spring mix, tuna fish, artichoke hearts, capers, blob of guacamole, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W3D16M3   Master Recipe ground beef with frozen cauliflower, broccoli, & carrots, coconut milk, and curry powder, 1/2 large sweet potato with ghee, 2 watermelon slices

Food: My breakfast was so Whole30-ish that I had to share it with you. A kitchen sink of a breakfast, with lots of protein, lots of veggies, and a good drizzle of EVOO plus coconut milk. Who's not eating enough now?  ;)  (This is a full-size to go container it's on btw). I could not figure out how to get a smaller image in my post, and I've already spent 20 minutes on it, so you're just going to get a giant picture of my breakfast. Another perfect template day.

Feelings: This is probably the best I've felt since starting the Whole30. I didn't feel tired even though it was a very busy day, and my stomach didn't give me any trouble at all.

whole30-breakfast.jpg

• Administrators

W2D14M1     3 turkey sausage, 1 hard boiled egg & 1 white, grilled purple cabbage, potatoes, green beans in oil & garlic

W2D14M2     cold shrimp (double portion), lettuce, avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, banana

W2D14M3     pan seared rainbow trout, roasted fingerling potatoes in EVOO, snow peas w/ghee, raw sugar snap peas, watermelon spear

Food: Perfect template day. Bam! I took the mod's advice to increase the size of my meals and it worked. Ate three perfect template meals and no snacks.

YIPPEE!!!  Good for you!!!!!!!  :D

W3D17M1   Master Recipe ground beef with frozen cauliflower, broccoli, & carrots, coconut milk, and curry powder (smallish portion), Applegate hot dog, pumpkin with garam masala, new potatoes with ghee, coffee with coconut milk

W3D17M2   chicken breast with almond bits, green salad with heirloom tomatoes, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, asparagus

W3D17M3   Brussels Sprouts Crisps (ranch flavor), Master Recipe ground beef with tomato sauce & poultry seasoning, large sweet potato, roasted Brussels sprouts, 1/2 avocado

Food:  Pretty okay day. I had to dine out for lunch, so I ordered almond crusted chicken (planning to not eat all the almond part) with a green salad, and a side order of asparagus to help fill me up. ("No butter or anything please." "Just like it comes out?" "Yes.") With my Whole30 blinders on, somehow I assumed that almond crusted chicken would be a very minimal dish, but the almond part looked breaded so I scraped it all off, and just ate some of the stray almond bits that fell onto the chicken. Not sure what the point of sharing that is, except for the fact that I truly expected the dish to be Chicken + Almonds, and maybe a little egg white or something.

Feelings:  I felt really good today, especially in the earlier part of the day. (Had a slump in the afternoon but nothing agonizing). Also felt really good in the early part of the day yesterday, too. What a welcome relief! Also no more tummy issues since I stopped eating eggs and started popping a digestive enzyme with breakfast. :D

Yes, tierramar, virtual fist bump for turning the corner! Are you feeling better, too? And thanks to all the lovely mods and fellow travelers who helped me get this far with their advice or comments.

I agree, WholeMama. I just only had a smallish portion of the curry left over from last night's dinner. :P I supplemented with a hot dog and more veggies.

I have seen people keep inching back to diet mentality but I don't think I will be one of them.

W3D18M1   2 Applegate hot dogs, leftover Master Recipe ground beef, roast broccoli, pumpkin with coconut oil & shaved coconut, coffee w/coconut milk

W3D18M2   baby spinach, tuna fish, grape tomatoes, portabello mushrooms, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, almonds (half of a "100 Calorie Pack")

W3D18M3   grilled salmon fillet, green beans with EVOO, roast potatoes, banana, 1/2 avocado

W3D18S1    Larabar

Kitchen is closed.  :)

Oops, kitchen was not closed.  :( I think one salmon fillet is not enough protein for me at a meal.

W3D19M1   2 Applegate hot dogs, pumpkin with coconut oil, spinach, 1/2 slice deli roast beef wrapped around chunk of avocado, coffee w/coconut milk

W3D19M2   beef tenderloin, asparagus, roasted potatoes

W3D19M3   chicken breast, asparagus, large sweet potato w/coconut oil & flaked coconut, watermelon slice

W3D20M1   3 eggs, broccoli, portabella mushrooms sauteed in EVOO, applesauce, coffee with coconut milk

W3D20M2   baby spinach, spring mix, chicken breast, grape tomatoes, portabello mushrooms, 1/2 avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar

W3D20S1    Sunflower Seed Flax Snax

W3D20M3   steamed shrimp, sweet potato fries with mayo, blueberries, sauerkraut curtido (small serving)

Food: I had eggs for breakfast because I didn't have time to whip up something like sausage. At lunch I had a repeat of a weird experience that happened yesterday, too. I was chowing down on some protein (in this case, the last part of a chicken breast) and I had this feeling of nausea and aversion, and needed to spit out what was in my mouth in a napkin. I'm wondering if I'm eating a little too much protein. I know that the Whole30 is supposed to teach us to "listen to our satiety signals," but I hope they are not going to come in the form of feeling suddenly nauseous mid-bite. Because of that I wanted something really light for dinner, so I went by a local grocery that will steam raw shrimp for you.

Feelings: I have been noticing that a few things are a little loose - my bra band and, of all things, my shoes! 

Feelings: I have been noticing that a few things are a little loose - my bra band and, of all things, my shoes! 

:D 

Re: the nausea - could the chicken have been 'on the turn' as my mother would say? My son (who has a number of non-IgE food allergies) seems to instinctively know what will make him ill as he chews it. His explanation is that he can 'smell' it better when it's in his mouth - maybe it's something similar and you just ahve to pinpoint what the trigger is...?

W3D21S1   Larabar, 1 tbs. cashew butter

W3D21M1  4 turkey sausage patties, grilled mushrooms, roast potatoes, strawberries, raspberries, & Amaya Roasting Company Temporado coffee with coconut milk

W3D21S2      Synergy Kombucha Gingerberry

W3D21M2     boiled shrimp with mayonnaise, sweet potato with ghee, ginger, & cinnamon, 2/3 avocado, sauerkraut curtido

W3D21M3     grass-fed hamburger with guacamole, salad w/EVOO & balsamic vinegar, spinach w/EVOO

Food:   Last night was kind of weird. I went to bed super early (that part's not weird) and when I woke up I was having a lot of tummy gas. Not sure what caused it yesterday, but it's been an on and off thing during the Whole30. I actually ended up taking some non-compliant Gas-X (which I haven't been doing) because it was so bothersome. I was hungry so I ate a Larabar and then went back to sleep.

While I was at Whole Foods this morning I picked up a Kombucha. I wonder if it has to be drunk as part of a meal. It was very tasty. I was oh so sad to see on the website while double checking the name that it contains 0.5% alcohol. (ETA: I searched "kombucha" on the forums and there is a thread saying it's okay to have that minimal amount of alcohol because of the overall benefits of kombucha).

Feelings:  Good bit of energy today, which isn't usually the case. (May have to do with the coffee and kombucha, but I think it's the Whole30, too. Went to Whole Foods, exercise class, birding at a couple of city parks, came home and took a shower, and now it's to catch up on some work).

:D

It hasn't happened recently, but that weird aversion has happened to me occasionally in the past. I wondered at the time if maybe the food wasn't quite okay as jmbcn suggested, but was never sure. On the other hand it could imply be linked to the GI issues and just being a bit under par because of them.

I hope the wind clears up soon!

W4D22S1   Synergy Kombucha Gingerberry

W4D22M1   tuna fish, Earthbound Farm rainbow chard w/EVOO, red delicious apple w/cashew butter, coffee w/coconut milk

W4D22M2   3 chicken sausages (kale & balsamic), green beans w/EVOO, 2 cooked beets

W4D22S2    smoked oysters, 1/2 avocado, hot sauce

W4D22M3   chocolate chili, russet potato, strawberries

Food:   Found myself ravenous a few hours after lunch even though I'd had a large lunch. I remember one of our lovely mods saying we need a lot more food before our period so had a snack. Unfortunately, Large Lunch + Hearty Snack + Hot Sauce + Lying Down Immediately for Nap = Awful Acid Reflux. (I had acid reflux prior to the Whole30; it was one of the things I was hoping would get under control).

Feelings:   Cranky and hormonal

From earlier today: Thanks, FlyingCrow! I took double the amount of digestive enzymes this morning and had a kombucha and my tummy feels much better. "Wind" rather than "gas" in one of the many British vocabulary words and phrases I love.  :P

Kombucha has naturally occurring tiny amounts of alcohol. I think you are fine! I wouldn't worry about it! I love the Cherry Chia kind. I almost bought some the other day and then saw it had fruit juice in it, so I didn't.. only to get home and read that that was in fact OKAY! I was so bummed. I really wanted some. Next time I'm at the store I'll pick some up.

Archived