Ongoing GI issues

I am on Day 34 of an extended whole30 and I continue to struggle with loose stools, primarily in the mornings but sometimes later in the day too. I have read through most of the posts on this issue and am in the process of reducing my raw vegetable intake to see if that helps. I have not eliminated nuts yet, and probably eat 1-2 servings a day. Oh, and for the past few days I've been bloated in the evening after dinner. Here is a sample day:

2-3 eggs

Sautéed veggies

Shredded coconut

Ghee or coconut oil

1/2 avocado

Banana

Pulled pork

Broccoli

Sweet potato

(I usually have more fat at lunch, but this was a potluck at work yesterday and I forgot to pack extra fat)

Banana

Compliant marinara

Homemade compliant meatballs

About 1-2 cups of zoodles sautéed in olive oil

Green olives

Banana with almond butter

I think I had a handful of nuts while prepping dinner (cashews, almonds, and walnuts).

I usually don't eat three bananas in a day. Generally I don't eat any and my fruits are limited to 1-2 servings a day.

Thoughts? My diet prior to W30 was all over the map, from decent to Taco Bell, with tons of sugar in the two weeks prior to starting on April 6.

Oh! And I should say that on Day 20 I had one piece of bow tie pasta that I ate mindlessly while testing doneness for my kids. I did a reset there, which is why I am still going. So based on that, I have 6 more days until done (so day 24 since reset).

Another possibly relevant detail: I take 25 mg of Zoloft daily and I am starting a slow taper. I started three days ago, skipping one dose, and then taking as usual for two nights. Tonight I will skip a dose and then return to two. I will do this for about two weeks and then skip to every other night for a couple weeks. After that I will space to no dose every two nights, and so on, until I am tapered.

• Moderators

Nuts, coconut, and raw veggies can be challenging to your digestive system. A high volume of wilted greens can be challenging too. And changing meds can disrupt your system. Actually, it is amazing that we are ever regular given how many things can challenge the firmness of our stools. 

I have learned the hard way that I can't handle eating kale three times per day without suffering loose stools. I can easily handle a big serving once per day or two moderate servings per day, but three per day overwhelms my system. I mention this to make the point that you can eat some nuts, some coconut, and some raw veggies and be fine. However, 2 servings of nuts per day may be excessive. Eating nuts and coconut on the same day may be excessive. Eating raw veggies and nuts or coconut may cause an issue. Eating nuts while changing meds may cause an issue that you might not experience if you were not changing meds. Quantities in relationship to other foods matters. 

Archived