Carb servings, fruit?

So I've been trying to work in two carb servings a day since my energy levels are continuously low. Honestly I'm not a big fruit fan so I've had no problem having my carb sources be squash, sweet potato or potato. But this morning I was low on groceries and so went ahead and had a banana just to get something other than the egg and spinach. Can I count that as a carb serving with the squash I had for lunch? I'm not planning on using fruit as a significant source of carbs, just not wanting to overdo the carbs today. 

• Administrators

You can definitely use fruit as carbohydrates, 1-2 servings per day with meals is acceptable.  The starchy veggies are always a better choice but in this instance that you outline, there is nothing wrong with what you did.  Beware tonight if you happen to experience cravings or snackitude....sometimes fruits in the morning cause cravings and pseudo-hunger at night. :)

Both fruit and veggies are carbs. Fruit is optional on a Whole30. Whole30 is not a low carb plan.

For best results, the recommendation is to have 1-3 cups of veggies with each of your 3 meals of the day. Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

Fruit just doesn't tempt me that much at all, although I'll watch out for the cravings tonight, I've never heard that one. I am however having trouble fitting that much in in the morning, I'm just not that hungry in the morning. I try, but end up feeling like I'm force feeding myself. Don't really know how to address that problem. Even the banana was a force feed this morning. 

• Administrators

Lack of hunger in the morning is a high sign that your hormones are out of balance.  Do keep trying, keep creating a template meal with protein, fat and veggies and eat as much as you can. Although it is quite common, it is not correct to not be hungry when you wake.  Eating within an hour of waking and eventually working up to a template meal will help to rebalance your hormones and refine the signals that your body is getting and receiving.

Archived