Start date June 1

Elissa W

It's also that time of the month- never a good combo,lol!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

You're welcome! Be sure & up your intake of starchy veg to get ou through the next few days.....   :)

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, all. It is such an encouragement to see how all of you are sticking to the W30! DH and I are doing pretty well, too. Sleep has been a little weird over the past few days, but seems to be right on schedule according to the timeline. I, too, have had some bowel issues and cramping, though things seem to have leveled out today. So far I have not been tempted to step on the scale. Usually only do that a couple of times a week, anyway, and just to make sure it isn't traveling upward, but NOT going to step on it til close to the end. I have a physical exam scheduled for the 28th, so won't make it the full 30, but I can make it until the physical. Non-scale victories: I haven't woke up with sore hands. Sometimes they feel swollen and achy first thing in the morning, but not since starting W30, also, it's starting feel like my body is adjusting proportions in a good way - hope that keeps up! So far so good. Onward and Upward!

Oh my goodness, thank you!!!  I don't know why fish didn't occur to me... possibly because we don't eat it very much.  I've never been good at cooking it well- it's either hard and dry or kind of rubbery.  I feel like an idiot, to be honest.  I have an allergy to seafood, but used to love it so I don't go to that section of the store but I can absolutely get over there now.  Tuna is one of my favorites but I've had trouble finding compliant around here, it all has soy.  I will have to go a little farther afield, but it will be worth it to stay on track.

I can't thank you enough for this reminder.  I must be having brain freeze because I've been so stressed lately.  It's also that time of the month- never a good combo,lol!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! 

Have you heard of Azure Standard? You can check their website and see if you are on one of their truck routes. I get tuna, canned salmon, and sardines from them that are compliant. Good luck!

Ok all....I need help!!

It is our 5 year wedding anniversary on Friday and we are going out of town.  We are going to a nice resort in the mountains...they have a restaurant and I'm NERVOUS!! I don't want to mess up.  How do I tell them to prepare my food without using butter?? I am totally fine getting either fish or chicken or a big steak with a bunch of steamed veggies and oil and vinegar.  But don't they use butter?? I'm a bit worried....and sad that I can't have wine with my hubby to celebrate but...it is what it is. :)

Any suggestions??

Hey JMT

I hear you Happy Anniversary!

We just celebrated ours at a beautiful Inn they had wonderful staff and were so accommodating

I told the head waiter I had an allergy to dairy please no butter and asked what oils they used

He assured me it was olive oil and it tasted so

I ordered cold shrimp cocktail no sauce only fresh lemon no alcohol just ice water with lemon

They served assorted olives A large salad oil and balsamic it was bitter not sweet

I had no bread butter I ordered beef baked potato no sour cream or butter Then a large side of steamed asparagus also came with steamed zucchini and yellow squash

No dessert just black decaf coffee

You could have broiled fish or chicken ask them not o brush it with butter They did have clarified butter but I skipped it

I felt so proud You'll have a nice dinner anyway Don't be afraid to ask Make friends with your wait staff and smile they were wonderful

Have a wonderful time

Hi everyone!  I wanted to post on here for hopefully some encouragement and words of wisdom from you all as yesterday and today have been a real struggle for me.  I'm not sleeping well despite trying to get to bed earlier - I toss and turn and worry and my anxiety leads me to want to eat - I haven't given in to it yet because I remind myself I'm not hungry, it's just anxiety.  Today, I ate too much fruit and nuts - I know it was all compliant on the plan and I didn't cave to anything off plan but you know when you realize you should have not eaten so much when they are supposed to be a decoration?  I had to remind myself that over and over - I'm hoping these feelings and struggles will pass and I'll settle back into a rhythm as day 7 felt pretty good so it is a disappointment to suddenly feel worse and as if things have gotten a lot harder with the week.  Has anyone else experienced similar feelings?

Thanks for reading!  Hope all is well xx

Well Cantknockhustle I did

When are you eating your fruit? It's best with your meal not inbetween

And I found out for me I can't have it at night or I don't sleep well too much sugar ?

Your anxiousness may settle down if you add extra fat to each meal it worked for me

Because we are all different you may well listen to your body for signals Post W30 will be like that I've heard

Good luck

Hi everyone!  I wanted to post on here for hopefully some encouragement and words of wisdom from you all as yesterday and today have been a real struggle for me.  I'm not sleeping well despite trying to get to bed earlier - I toss and turn and worry and my anxiety leads me to want to eat - I haven't given in to it yet because I remind myself I'm not hungry, it's just anxiety.  Today, I ate too much fruit and nuts - I know it was all compliant on the plan and I didn't cave to anything off plan but you know when you realize you should have not eaten so much when they are supposed to be a decoration?  I had to remind myself that over and over - I'm hoping these feelings and struggles will pass and I'll settle back into a rhythm as day 7 felt pretty good so it is a disappointment to suddenly feel worse and as if things have gotten a lot harder with the week.  Has anyone else experienced similar feelings?

Thanks for reading!  Hope all is well xx

I'm sorry you're struggling...I have been too.  The best thing I found was coming here and posting about it.  Everyone is so supportive and offer encouragement and practical advice.  For me, I know anxiety begets anxiety and you have to give yourself some slack sometimes.  You did not go off plan, and that is wonderful!  Your worries and cares overwhelmed you a bit, but not to the point that you gave up.  You went a little overboard, recognized it, and now you can get things back in line.  If you mentally flog yourself, you will just spiral, so take a deep breath, recommit to yourself and follow the recommendations of the plan.  

You can do it, because you are worth it!!!!!

You're welcome! Be sure & up your intake of starchy veg to get ou through the next few days.....   :)

I will definitely do that!  Good to know that can help  :)

Just remember read your tuna labels ok

I use

Genova Tonno is tuna olive oil salt

Cento is good too

Good with olives celery anything!

Love my tuna too make a compliant mayo without the egg might be runny but spice it up

Thanks for the tip on the compliant brands you know, I will look for them.  I love tuna salad and I did find an eggless mayo recipe and made it this evening...it was really good!  Not as good as the eggy one, but very, very close.  I am one happy woman, lol!!  I had some on my veggies for dinner  :D

Have you heard of Azure Standard? You can check their website and see if you are on one of their truck routes. I get tuna, canned salmon, and sardines from them that are compliant. Good luck!

Thanks so much for mentioning Azure Standard...I am going to check out that link.  I would love to try all the canned fish options  :)

Ok all....I need help!!

It is our 5 year wedding anniversary on Friday and we are going out of town.  We are going to a nice resort in the mountains...they have a restaurant and I'm NERVOUS!! I don't want to mess up.  How do I tell them to prepare my food without using butter?? I am totally fine getting either fish or chicken or a big steak with a bunch of steamed veggies and oil and vinegar.  But don't they use butter?? I'm a bit worried....and sad that I can't have wine with my hubby to celebrate but...it is what it is. :)

Any suggestions??

Happy almost 5th Anniversary!!!  Sounds like a great trip you have planned.  I'm sure MeGA's advice will work out for you...restaurants want to give you a wonderful experience and should be very gracious about accommodating your requests.  

Well Cantknockhustle I did

When are you eating your fruit? It's best with your meal not inbetween

And I found out for me I can't have it at night or I don't sleep well too much sugar ?

Your anxiousness may settle down if you add extra fat to each meal it worked for me

Because we are all different you may well listen to your body for signals Post W30 will be like that I've heard

Good luck

Thank you!!  This is encouraging - I will try to add more fat and if I'm going to have fruit, add it to breakfast or lunch vs. dinner.  Thanks again for the support!

I'm sorry you're struggling...I have been too.  The best thing I found was coming here and posting about it.  Everyone is so supportive and offer encouragement and practical advice.  For me, I know anxiety begets anxiety and you have to give yourself some slack sometimes.  You did not go off plan, and that is wonderful!  Your worries and cares overwhelmed you a bit, but not to the point that you gave up.  You went a little overboard, recognized it, and now you can get things back in line.  If you mentally flog yourself, you will just spiral, so take a deep breath, recommit to yourself and follow the recommendations of the plan.  

You can do it, because you are worth it!!!!!

Thank you so much!  I am so grateful for the support.  I will be reading and re-reading your response as a reminder to myself - I do have a tendency to be my own worst critic! :) Thanks again!

Will probably do some searching on the forums, but I'm also going to ask my group first cause I like you best...any tips on coping with a sore throat in a fully compliant sort of way?!

This is fiercely annoying because I do not get sick.  Ever.  Hardly.  But I've got that dry scratchy feeling as of this afternoon and for once it's not because I forgot to drink water for a month straight or anything.  I have also found out that my sick co-worker from last week has been hospitalized (totally unrelated to my getting a sore throat so no worries there) and will be out the rest of this week and then is on vacation next week.  Since there are only two of us, this means I will be on the phone more than ever and to add the cherry on top I am scheduled to teach a three hour class on Thursday.

Clearly hot tea is going on the menu five minutes ago and I've no problem drinking it black, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Hopefully I do my usual "near brush with death" where I only get the dry throat and skip all the rest of the symptoms but this week of all weeks I need to be on the offensive.  Oh, and if you think I'm being overly dramatic by describing a common cold as a brush with death you are both entirely correct and entirely unprepared to handle me if I actually get a full blown cold.  ::Cue the theme music from Jaws::

Crimsann, here are a couple effective home cures:

gargle with vinegar, then swallow. My number one remedy for a sore scratchy. It cuts the junk and cleans your esophagus on the way down (and I don't run it over my palette again if I swallow! )

Gargle with salt water

Drink lemon water

Get well!

I'm a horrible gargler...that must not be a word according to spell check so I guess it's some kind of lost art form...but I may be down with trying it if I don't get some relief by tonight.  I will totally try the lemon water, or maybe even half lemon/half tea.

I was able to sleep better last night and that helped a bit, but I'm still worried about tomorrow's class.  Three hours of talking almost always leaves me feeling like I've run a marathon and the mental agility needed to cue in to who is struggling and who is too shy to ask their question requires all my focus.  I have one potential backup, but he has never taught this class in the new version and in fact hasn't taken one at all in over nine years so it's hardly ideal.  I'm giving my immune system the pep talk of a lifetime!  I've always joked that I've taught this class often enough to be able to do it with shadow puppets but I'd really rather not test that boast. 

Today's advice from the stars was murky at best and I don't have the brain power to morph it into W30 inspiration so instead I'm going to share the advice from my page-a-day calendar which struck me as particularly relevant today.

"Don't count the days...make the days count!"

Thank you so much!  I am so grateful for the support.  I will be reading and re-reading your response as a reminder to myself - I do have a tendency to be my own worst critic! :) Thanks again!

You're welcome  :)  I know where you're coming from and I am also my own worst critic, like most of us, I think.  Something Melissa said made me pause for a moment and look at how I talk to myself versus how I would talk to others...It was in her interview on shethrives blog yesterday.  To paraphrase - basically we should be as kind to ourselves as we would to any stranger on the street.  If we wouldn't dare say something to them, why on earth would we say it to ourselves????  I'll tell you something, I was really upset and struggling yesterday, but that 1 paragraph in the interview really snapped things back into perspective.  Added to the great support and advice I got here, and it pushed me past the mental roadblock I was facing.  Feeling hopeful again today after 3 days of blech.  Hope you are too...

I'm a horrible gargler...that must not be a word according to spell check so I guess it's some kind of lost art form...

Gargler...I love this.  Actually snorted when I read it.  You have a great sense of humor and your delivery translates perfectly in print  :lol:

Not feeling too good today. Started the day with "kill all the things" (wasn't that supposed to be done by now????), and feeling fatigued now - but not the crushing fatigue of Monday. I made it to work, but was not up to walking up the two flights of stairs to my office, so had to take the elevator. Tried to go for a run last night, but it ended up being mostly walking - probably in part due to the heat and humidity, but at least it was good to get outside. Today I'm glad my job mostly entails sitting at a desk and pushing paper. [sigh!] Hope all of you are in better places today!

i'm not really hungry today. i was angry yesterday, now i'm just sad. at least i slept well, the massage was awesome.

normally i would go get a pastry to make myself "feel" better, but i don't even want that.

i just want to crawl into bed and nap. but instead i'm here at work where everything is a holding pattern.

i'm really surprised at how much easier it is to stay on track when it's "only 30 days" rather than "the rest of my life".

i think this journey will help me make better decisions going forward in life. i'm retraining my brain. i'm kinda glad this sucky stuff is happening so that i can learn to deal with it without eating nutella from a jar.

i'm not even having cravings. it's just a recognition of the old habits. so that's cool. i don't even feel a tug towards the pastry or anything.

Day 10! I'm still feeling great...to the point that my husband and I were talking about sticking to this long after the Whole30 is over. We do have a big vacation scheduled in July so this might turn into a Whole45 and then trying to be "reasonably" compliant while away. I also scheduled a follow-up with my doc to have blood work drawn on July 1st. I really want to see how this all affects my medical issues!

Keep going everyone - we're 1/3 of the way there! :)

Hey JMT

I hear you Happy Anniversary!

We just celebrated ours at a beautiful Inn they had wonderful staff and were so accommodating

I told the head waiter I had an allergy to dairy please no butter and asked what oils they used

He assured me it was olive oil and it tasted so

I ordered cold shrimp cocktail no sauce only fresh lemon no alcohol just ice water with lemon

They served assorted olives A large salad oil and balsamic it was bitter not sweet

I had no bread butter I ordered beef baked potato no sour cream or butter Then a large side of steamed asparagus also came with steamed zucchini and yellow squash

No dessert just black decaf coffee

You could have broiled fish or chicken ask them not o brush it with butter They did have clarified butter but I skipped it

I felt so proud You'll have a nice dinner anyway Don't be afraid to ask Make friends with your wait staff and smile they were wonderful

Have a wonderful time

Thanks so much for your tips!! :) I'm hoping that where we are going to eat will be as accommodating :)!!

Not feeling too good today. Started the day with "kill all the things" (wasn't that supposed to be done by now????), and feeling fatigued now - but not the crushing fatigue of Monday. I made it to work, but was not up to walking up the two flights of stairs to my office, so had to take the elevator. Tried to go for a run last night, but it ended up being mostly walking - probably in part due to the heat and humidity, but at least it was good to get outside. Today I'm glad my job mostly entails sitting at a desk and pushing paper. [sigh!] Hope all of you are in better places today!

The timeline isn't accurate for everyone...I haven't done anything according to "schedule".  I started with the timeline taped to my fridge but took it down as nothing I was going through was in line with it.  Now I just read it for the laughs when I'm stressing... "For the love of Gosling..."  That kills me.  I was in an uncomfortable place from Friday to Tuesday and today I feel renewed.  It's all a very personal experience and I am learning to just roll with whatever comes my way.  And bravo to you for even walking last night- when it's hot and humid, that's when I want to kill all the things, lol!!

I have a physical exam scheduled for the 28th, so won't make it the full 30, but I can make it until the physical. 

Donna, you could always stand on the scale backwards and ask not to be told the number. I've done that before and the nurse didn't say a thing.

Ok all....I need help!!

Any suggestions??

You may also try calling up the resort and telling them you have some special dietary restrictions and could you speak with a manager at the restaurant to see how accommodating they can be. You can pick out some items from the menu that look compliant (or are easily adaptable), and check on any unknowns (what kind of oil, can you sub a salad for the pasta, whatever) and talk them over with the restaurant. That way you don't get there and get caught short because you can't find anything on the menu to eat. Good luck and have a blast! :D

Help Guys!!!

Im not feeling well and i want to take meds but everything i have contains maltodextrin and starch. I dont want to start all over again. 

Any suggestions???

I really don't know nanda, but I think if you post on the forum for resources and questions, you'll likely find an answer there.  Better yet, search the whole forum and I'm sure you'll find something.  It's likely others have run into the same situation.  

I'm really sorry you're not feeling well and I hope it improves soon.  Good luck  :)

Archived