'hungry' feelings right after eating

Hi guys,

I am on day 10 and so happy, already starting to have some non-scale victories that are making me believe the whole30 way of eating is DEFINITELY what my body needs.

Anyway, I have noticed that I feel "hungry" about 15 - 30 minutes after eating a template meal. I put "hungry" in quotations because I don't feel like I want to eat anything, but my tummy is definitely rumbling - its a feeling in my tummy not my head.

Has anyone else felt this way, or do I sound loony??

I am thinking that my stomach is just digesting the delicious foods I just ate, but wanted to see if anyone else had a thought.

Erica

• Administrators

Hi Erica,

What was your intake like before you came to Whole30? How much water are you drinking each day and are you following your meal with water? 

Can you post a couple days of food (include portions as they relate to your palm/thumb), meal timing, fluids etc so that we can take a look and see if anything stands out?

Hi Lady Shanny -

My diet pre whole30 was awful - I was the carb queen - eating a lot of dinners w/o protein at all, because a quick boil of the pasta was too easy to pass up (now I am spending a lot of time prepping and that is no longer the case).

My meals today so far:

M1 7:30: Fritatta full of peppers, onions and chopped pork carnitas, baked with eggs - this slice was about two palm sizes

8:00 walking to train: tummy is rumbling

9:00 @ work: coffee

M2 12:00: Canned salmon (one drained 5 oz can, spread on the plate it looks like 1+ palms), with chopped green peppers (about half a pepper), sauteed spinach (about 1/4 cup after sauteed), avocado mayo (homemade!) and a few cherry tomatoes, water bottle filled at the beginning of this meal and about to go fill it up again (so I drank about 22 oz in the past hour)

12:30: tummy starts rumbling again, so I posted  :)

As I am now looking at it, my veggies are down today. I should have added more spinach with lunch.... On tap for tonight is chicken thighs with tons of broccoli so that will help!

To your point about prior diet, I have REALLY upped my protein intake from before. I used to eat yogurt w/ granola for breakfast and then, as I said above, a lot of pasta/rice. My gut reaction (pun intended  ;) ) is that my stomach is adjusting to the larger amounts of protein it is breaking down.

What can I adjust?

• Administrators

Your day looks pretty good.  When you are eating eggs as the protein, make sure you get the equivalent serving as however many you could hold in your hand without dropping.  For most people that's at least 3-4.

I suspect that your stomach is adjusting to the new foods to some degree but also that your body may have been somewhat nutrient deprived before and now that you are feeding it healthful, whole foods, it's putting out the signal for more, more, more.  Keep eating, don't skimp.  My suspicion is that this will self resolve in a few days.  If you end up having bathroom issues or pains in your stomach you could consider starting a digestive enzyme and some probiotic foods (kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha) to help populate the right organisms in your gut.

For me, the often repeated statement that it takes 20 min for your brain to let your stomach know you are full is not true.  For me, I am almost always hungry after eating and it takes about an hour for those hormones to finally kick in and tell me I'm full.  Might be just how my body is or maybe it's because of all the various diets or all the overeating I've done over the years.  Or too many carbs…or who knows what.  But usually I have to be patient and wait longer to know I've eaten a full meal.  Maybe Whole 30 will improve this.  I hope.

Archived