I'm.....ORANGE!

LindaLee

No, seriously!

I usually eat a lot of carrots, but with the paleo lifestyle, I've doubled the amount of carrots I eat, plus I've added sweet potatoes, squash, and lots and lots of spinach.

Today I was walking outside and I looked down at my feet and they were...orange-y. I naturally have a yellow-ish/ivory cast to my skin anyway, but this was more than usual. I went inside, put my foot on my husband's lap, and said, "Look." He said: "Why is your foot yellow?"

I went straight to the Internet (of course), and given the above info, I'm thinking this is probably beta-carotene overload. Can't imagine it being any of the other things that would cause yellow!

I'm kind of bummed, because I love squash, but I guess it's time to diversify my veggies.

Anyone have any good kale recipes? Suggestions for other veggies?

LOLOLOL...I am serious, though. I'm orange. My feet are, and the palms of my hands, especially where I have blisters/callouses from Crossfit. It's bizarre...

Linda

Ok, orange isn't a bad color as colors go, is it? Better than say... Magenta. Lol

I'm really dark, and native American, so if I turned orange I would probably never notice. Lol I don't know if that's good or bad.

Kale: I take a huge bag of chopped kale and dump it in a pan with some coconut oil and sauted it down for awhile. I like my kale not so kale like when I'm done with it. When it's cooked and softer looking, I add a can of coconut milk and sauté for awhile longer. Add some nutmeg, crushed red pepper and salt. Finish it with some pomegranate seeds, but these aren't necessary.

This is my favorite way to eat kale, I eat about a pound of it a week this way. Which, as my farmers market guy said, is a lot of kale lol

LOL! True...magenta would be harder to pass of as just a bad spray/lotion tan, LOL.

Your kale dish sounds delish! I have been wary of it, though my husband really likes it. But I have a question...do you have to tear the leaves off the stems COMPLETELY, or just cut the bottom stems off? The latter sounds doable...the former...boring, LOL. And time-consuming. I like my dishes simple.

Right, I mean, there are some plausible orange stories, not so much with magenta lol

I get bags of kale that's already chopped, so I don't have to remove anything. There end up being some smaller stems in the bag, but I just cook everything down and if I get a scoop with a stem, I discard the stem. I have gotten big bags of it at the farmers market and just taken off the big stems the same way. Even that seems like too much work some days lol

I also am hoping to adapt a kale gratin recipe that I had, but I havent done it yet. I think it will be the same start, cooking the kale in coconut oil, then when it's soft putting it in a casserole. The paleo recipe called for bacon and garlic sauted, then you add whipping cream, I'll just add some coconut milk. The original recipe called for Parmesan cheese on the sauce too, but I think it will be fine without this addition. I topped it with crumbs made from a mix of almond meal and coconut flour but I would just do chopped almonds toasted in ghee and put that on top. Then you bake it for like 30 minutes...

Anyway, it sounds a little labor intensive, but it's really not and the original version was pretty good:)

When I was living in a vegetarian household in grad school, I had a roommate who turned orange! It can happen. However, I also saw some article somewhere in the paleosphere about changes in skin tone with a whole foods diet. Carrots aren't the only vegetable that has colorful molecules to spare. All the colorful stuff you are eating can give your skin a warmer tone.

I eat a lot of beets (and I'm not magenta). They're great roasted and added to a salad with leafy greens, crunchy peppers, and nuts.

Archived