Sue F - Post Whole30 2015

Today is day 60 of my extended first whole30. I am stopping at 60 days. I think I am ready to try riding my own bike, as they say, so I am starting this thread and moving out of the whole30 log thread. It is going to continue to be an interesting journey.

There are a few things I will try to reintroduce. Mostly dairy. I learned caffeine is an issue for me, so I am on day 4 of detoxing from caffeine, so right now I want to leave things as is for a while so my body can adjust. Still getting headaches.

Here are some of my initial thoughts on life after whole60...will update as I figure out how to ride this bike.

- I plan to stay using the same fats. Do not see any reason to go back to the less healthy fats when these are working just fine for all my cooking. I do plan to be more flexible when eating out and not asking about the fat that a protein is cooked in.

- I do not miss legumes. Except I used to have a problem with cravings for peanut butter. I think that was more of a combination of the peanuts and sugar. I don't want to try sugar yet. Getting free of that sugar dragon wasn't easy, why invite it back for peanut butter. Totally not worth it.

- finding compliant bacon and sausage where I live is difficult. In fact, there is none in the two grocery stores here, so I will be switching to regular bacon and sausage first.

REINTRODUCTION: Did not go well. Very upset stomach.

- I didn't drink alcohol before whole30, so that is an easy one. Here are my very personal reasons for this choice. I have an introverted personality, and I do not particularly like the extrovert that emerges after a drink or two. "Drunk Sue" as my friends call her, she is a lot of fun, but she isn't me. I have never had an experience in which I was glad that I drank. I have given my life over to God and being present in the moment and service of others, drinking never helps me with that mission. (There are occasions where it is worth it. My sister and I were married in a double wedding, for our 20th anniversaries the four of us went to Hawaii. I did have a drink while there and enjoyed it.)

Post-whole30 NO list:

- Caffeine. Messes with my sleep.

- Pre-seasoned ground italian sausage. Gave me very upset stomach.

- Sugar. Would bring back sugar dragon. I love living free of that beast. Not going to reintro until something "worth it" comes along?

- Macadamia nuts. Argh! Still struggling with letting go. They are food with no brakes for me.

Steps: 5,802

It seems so odd to start today without a count. However, it is day 5 of my caffeine free choice. The irritability that goes along with that detox is getting better. This morning is unusual in that I am getting to have a slow start, I still miss a cup of coffee on a morning like this. I have never liked a cup of hot herbal tea, but maybe it is time to try again.

M1: egg scramble (regular bacon, onion, bell pepper, garlic, eggs, salt, pepper), spinach sauteed in coconut oil, with salt

M2: meat sauce & zucchini (ground beef, ground italian sausage, marinara, crushed red pepper, cubed zucchini), roasted broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Half of avocado with olive oil and smoked paprika.

M3: kalua pig, half avocado, roasted broccoli, cauliflower, couple carrot pieces, couple brussel sprouts

Trying to go a day without fruit, nuts and starchy veggies like sweet potato. So far I've done it except few bites of carrots. But have been craving them. I weighed myself this afternoon, ended up being a ten pound loss with my whole60. I need to lose more, about 50 more pounds.

Walked 2 miles at park this morning. Was a funny and lovely experience. There were some characters out today!!

Experienced some serious stomach distress about 30 minutes after lunch. The only non-compliant ingredient was less than 2% sugar in the ground italian sausage that I used in the meat sauce. It was a very uncomfortable experience. Maybe the regular bacon from breakfast affected me too?

Stomach is still a bit gurggly this evening.

Still feeling the pull for coffee. Still sounds so good.

Little adventure tonight. Our automatic chicken door closed earlier than usual because of the dark storm clouds. I went to go check on the little chicks that are safely locked up, and found that our free range chickens were not safely in bed as they usually are at this time. So we had a chicken hunt with flash lights in the rain. Found all but two, hope they make it safely through the night.

Steps: 11,204

Clean eating. Day 6 caffeine free.

Ready for full daylight so I can see if all my chickens can be accounted for. Trying a cup of cinnamon spice herbal tea this morning.

Still mild headache off and on.

Busy day ahead. High school senior recognition at church this morning. Pool party after. Have no idea what food will be there. Plan to eat before. Was asked to bring dessert so I made a couple of standard desserts. They smelled good while baking, but I didn't have any real trouble with cravings.

M1: kalua pig with spinach and mushrooms, two fried eggs, half avocado with olive oil drizzle, 1/4 cup cinnamon spice tea, water with lemon

M2: meat sauce with zucchini, ribs, brisket, onions, pickles, banana

M3: chicken breast, eggplant, macadamia nuts

Didn't do as well today avoiding fruit and nuts. My supper turned out edible, but barely.

Steps: 5,070

Clean eating. Day 7 caffeine free.

Who would have thought that getting free of caffeine was going to be so incredibly important to how I feel!! After breakfast I went for a nicely paced three mile walk and I feel great and happy!! Now that I am getting out of the caffeine withdrawals funk, I've got to get back into meal planning.

M1: fried eggs, spinach, avocado with olive oil and smoked paprika, water

Snack: kalua pig, water with lemon

M2: kalua pig with olive oil drizzle, sauteed veggies (zucchini, mushroom, onion, bell pepper, carrots, broccoli), half avocado with olive oil and smoked paprika

Cherries, macadamia nuts

M3: link sausage, cabbage, onion, cayenne. (Non compliant sausage, contains nitrites and caramel color). Leftover sautéed veggies from lunch.

And darn!! We did lose one chicken the other night in the storm. She has not shown up, not sure exactly what happened to her. So now we have six adult free range chickens and six youths that are still in cage.

Steps: 12,677

Clean eating. Day 8 caffeine free.

Woke up at 4:30. Going to be a long day.

M1: egg scramble with bacon, eggs, onion, bell pepper, zucchini, mushroom, carrots. Half avo.

M2: hamburger patty, lettuce, onion, pickles, homemade mayo, sweet potato fries (all compliant)

Banana

Pistachios, olives, cherries

M3: meatballs, sweet potato fries, grilled mixed veggies

I just found the Slow Roll Reintroduction article.

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

That was very helpful. And is what I am sort of doing. It mentions maybe starting with relaxing on the no added sugar, which is what I have done with bacon, ground sausage, and link sausage. My problem is, I introduced it, but haven't gone back to perfectly clean whole30. Still eating the leftovers. Do I need to if I can see what causes problems? I haven't had any problem with the bacon or the link sausage. I had problem with a ground italian sausage, but the italian spices in it seemed incredibly strong, so it may have been that.

The only other thing I might reintroduce is cheese. I don't drink coffee anymore, so don't need the cream.

I still have a lot of weight to lose. I know losing weight will help my sleep apnea which will then help my energy. I want to transition to paleo/primal and not reintroduce grains or sugar. They will both bring back the sugar and carb dragons. I am thinking why test it when I know what is going to happen. I am not feeling a fear in reintroducing them, I am just 99% sure I know exactly what is going to happen.

We are going on an Alaskan land/sea cruise this summer. My eating will be greatly challenged then. I plan to try to stay paleo as much as I can. I want to feel good and enjoy it, not suffering from cravings and sluggish from carbs. I am also stressed, my 17 year old is a paraplegic, so travel is a serious challenge. I want to have the energy to help her as much as possible.

Am I the only one who smells non-compliant foods? A few weeks ago, at my daughter's birthday party, her cake smelled so good that several times I opened the box from the baker and took a long slow inhaling whiff. Did the same thing with some homemade chocolate chip cookies that a friend gave my daughter with her graduation card. Did again with peanut butter this morning. I find it enjoyable, yet it doesn't seem to awaken the sugar dragon. Weird?

Extremely tired and cranky day from lack of sleep.

I'm going to quit counting days off caffeine. I know this has to be a permanent change, so why count? I'm glad I have a record of when I quit because I have read it can take 4-6 months to see full results.

Another bad night of sleep. Woke at 4:30 with my heart racing.

Big realization! I think I've said something close to this before, but it is really hitting me deeply today. My sleep issues, mainly sleep apnea, cause serious fatigue problems. When I am in that state of utter miserable fatigue, I have a strong need to eat. It feels like some survival mechanism is taking over and insisting that I give my deprived brain some kind of energy. At least, this is how it feels. Not sure scientifically what is really happening. I kept snacking yesterday, compliant foods, but I had to snack. I was so sleepy and exhausted and cranky.

I very immaturely did not use my cpap machine for this entire previous week and my body and brain are suffering from it. It means my brain didn't get enough good sleep or oxygen through those nights. I am going to look for a new pulmonary doctor today. Mine is at MD Anderson, 2.5 hours away, I think I need one closer. I have problems with keeping the mask on, so instead of just accepting that, I need to be assertive until I find one that works for me. I foolishly have been thinking that "hey, my inflammation should be down, I've lost ten pounds, maybe I don't need this thing." I need to use it until I lose more weight and then have another sleep study done. Maybe this lecture to myself in writing will help.

M1: sausage, cabbage, banana

Snack: olives, pistachios, cherries

M2: hamburger patty, homemade mayo, lettuce, onion, pickles. Sweet potato, cucumbers, salsa

Banana

M3: sausage and cabbage, applesauce

I am not going to see improvement in my health or energy until I am getting good sleep.

M1: scrambled eggs, spinach & kale, olives

M2: pork chop seasoned with a homemade compliant copycat of lawry's seasoned salt (turned out very good). Sauteed zucchini and carrots, olives

Snack: macadamia nuts, compliant applesauce

M3: pork ribs, broccoli

Put cpap mask on last night, woke at 4:45am this morning and it was off. Fell back to sleep for about another hour.

Did some asking yesterday and haven't found a new pulmonary doctor yet.

Started having a low back pain last night and this morning. Feels like an interstitial cystitis flare up. Been a very very long time since I have dealt with that issue. Upped my water intake. Went for three mile walk after breakfast. Feels much better.

Succeeding very well with breaking the coffee habit. I still feel a pull when passing a coffee shop.

M1: scrambled eggs, broccoli, avocado with olive oil and paprika

Few macadamia nuts

M2: pork chop, sweet potato fries, zucchini, yellow squash, onion

M3: (restaurant) salad with italian dressing (lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, grapes, pickled okra), grilled flounder, yellow squash

Graduation day for oldest daughter!! Going to be long night, school has lockin over night, staying to help. Feeling blessed. Her first day of high school was my first day of radiation. I know a couple other mothers that have passed away from cancer in the last four years who won't be seeing their daughters graduate.

My thirteen year old daughter asked me today "So when are you going to eat sugar again?" I told her that I didn't know.

Another bad night of sleep. Awake at 4:30. Got up and cleaned. Woke with low back pain again. It has been so long since I've had an interstitial cystitis flair up that I had to do some research to see what might be causing it. I was diagnosed and treated about 15 years ago and have been good, this is only my 4th flair up since then. But it is a very recognizable pain. I have been drinking a lot of water with a lot of fresh lemon squeezed in it. I'm going to stop adding the lemon (frown) to see if it helps.

I had decided to try to cut back on the starchy vegetables, to speed up weight loss, but I've changed my mind and trying to be patient with the slower weight loss. I loss ten pounds with my whole60. If I can continue that, it will happen. I need to lose 50 pounds, so maybe ten months to do so? Hopefully riding my own bike paleo style doesn't slow it down. I'm hoping some where along the way my sleep will improve, which then should speed up my health improvement.

Guess I shouldn't put a time frame on my weight loss, but it helps to keep me focused, knowing it can happen. Still have along way to go to feeling better.

Up almost all night for project grad lock-in. Then slept in morning. First meal was at lunch time.

M1: pork chop, sweet potato fries, zucchini

M2: hamburger patty, hotdog frank, lettuce, tomato, pickles, salsa, fruit cup

(Was a regular hotdog frank)

M3: pistachios, olives, cherries, banana (yep, no protein)

M1: applesauce (not smart choice)

Cashews

M2: pork chops, sweet potato, cabbage

M3: steak, green beans, cauliflower

Crazy busy. Weighed a couple of days ago, have lost a total of thirteen pounds. Pleased that headed in right direction.

June 10 -

M1: fried eggs, spinach, avocado (late breakfast)

Monkey salad

Monkey salad (mistake to eat this twice)

M2: brisket, sausage, leftover green beans and cauliflower (meat from White's BBQ)

I guess I am adjusting to summer time and kids being home. Not journaling as much.

June 11 -

Kept CPAP mask on all night!! Woke at 6am with alarm with it still on. Unusual.

Slow morning for a change. Missing my coffee. Would have been nice to sit and drink it in this quiet house.

M1: three fried eggs, spinach, kale, Swiss chard, half avo

M2: salad at chik fil a (didn't eat much of it)

M3: olives, cashews, banana, coconut

M4: pork roast, olives, applesauce

Wow. Tested wheat today with breaded chicken on salad. There was some corn and cheese in it, but I ate around it. Within thirty minutes my nose started running like crazy. Both my daughters were with me and saw it happen and were so surprised. And this evening my legs started feeling very uncomfortable and heavy. Reminding me of the uncomfortable aching from the first few weeks of my whole30. Wheat is definitely a food that is unhealthy for me.

Meals are getting messy. Getting farther from template.

Really enjoying my greens sautéed briefly in coconut oil, with sea salt, and then a little olive oil drizzled on it. Yum! Going through a lot of good olive oil. Not cheap. But when it comes to cost of eating healthy, I reason that it is cheaper than if my breast cancer came back.

June 12 -

Did not wear cpap mask sat night.

M1: three fried eggs, greens, avo

M2: pork roast, brisket, sausage, yellow squash

Cashews

M3:

Planning final details of our Alaska cruise. Going to be an adventure with eating. I really don't want to have wheat after what it did to me yesterday. And desserts. Don't want to bring home the sugar dragon.

I guess I am adjusting to riding my own bike. Haven't felt like continuing to write down everything I eat. Still haven't had any outright sugar. Have had it as an ingredient in something like bacon.

Wheat - learned that if I eat wheat I get a runny nose. Not just a little sniffles, but the kind where I had to stop shopping, find the bathroom and get some tissue to blow my nose. Lasts about an hour of annoying runny nose. Interesting. Never thought. And then as I stop eating it again the pains in my legs return. Wow. Very sensitive.

Dairy - so far, no problem.

Tea - so happy. Found a hot tea that I like. Rooibus. Been drinking it plain. Might try adding coconut milk. Enjoy having a hot drink in the morning again.

Caffeine - still staying 100% caffeine free. Think it is almost a solid habit now.

I live in south central texas in a little town. It was exciting yesterday to have our town mentioned over and over on the national weather channel with the tropical storm. We faired with no damage. Lots of rain last night from the tail end of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After a major unhealthy detour in my eating for almost a month, I am back. I got through one day eating healthy yesterday, so hopefully I can maintain the momentum.

M1: egg scramble, bacon, onion, bell pepper, butter, eggs, spinach

M2: left over pork chops and sweet potatoes

M3: fish and veggies and strawberries (another meal provided at a business meeting, did not have enough fat)

Few dates ( these are food with no brakes for me I know)

The cravings for sugar yesterday were horrible, I cannot imagine what people must go through who are addicted to hard drugs. I could hardly think straight.

Fill your face with protein & healthy fats to keep those cravings at bay. If you're craving something sweet you cannot, I repeat CANNOT feed that cravings with anything remotely sweet. Fats & proteins will save the day - and keep you satiated so as to avoid poor snack food choices, and keep you energised to deal with what ever life is throwing your way.....

You're doing good - you made the decision to jump back on the wagon, now all you need to do is stay in the driving seat.

One meal at a time, one day at a time.

Fill your face with protein & healthy fats to keep those cravings at bay. If you're craving something sweet you cannot, I repeat CANNOT feed that cravings with anything remotely sweet. Fats & proteins will save the day - and keep you satiated so as to avoid poor snack food choices, and keep you energised to deal with what ever life is throwing your way.....

You're doing good - you made the decision to jump back on the wagon, now all you need to do is stay in the driving seat.

One meal at a time, one day at a time.

Ok. I am listening. I had some dates this afternoon and that is just not going to work. I am wanting more. My favorite fats are kalamata olives and avocados and I am out of both. Will go to store in morning. Got through today, but I am feeling in a deep funk. I know this will pass and is part of the process of withdrawals. Thank you!!

Yay! Day three back on my bike! Craving coffee this morning but I am getting through. I am learning to sit with discomfort. Inviting it to sit with me. I am learning to look discomfort straight in the eye until it looks away.

My mother-in-law made a quick turn in feeling better and was ready to go home yesterday. This morning my husband is at work and kids are asleep and I got a whole hour of complete quiet. Oh how I have missed quiet!

I get to do one of my favorite things today, take daughter to volleyball camp and sit and watch. It's a two hour drive one-way, but these coaches are supposed to be worth it. They produce college athletes. Looking forward to today.

M1: three scrambled eggs, link sausage, spinach sautéed in coconut oil with salt and drizzled with olive oil, small mandarin orange

M2: salad and tuna

M3: chicken legs, carrots

Dates for snack

Not perfect, but definitely made the healthier choices today.

Loving spinach cooked this way. Craving olives.

I detoured again. Let the sugar dragon carry me around in its sharp claws for a few days again. Dang it. Embarrassed to come back here having done so. But today I realized that this is MY journey. No one else's. No one else has been in my shoes. Yes I am starting out this post on the defensive, in fear someone is going to criticize, I guess. Unfortunately, for me, it may take dozens more detours into unhealthy eating before I get where I eat more healthy than not.

But returning here is necessary.

I think I have to accept that how I feel physically must get worse before it gets better.

My health issues are causing a circular effect in trying to right things. In fact, during my whole60 I did feel better, but not terrific. My sleep apnea, caused by my weight, leaves me exhausted and reaching for sugar and caffeine for quick energy. Sugar and caffeine just makes my weight worse. Circle around to worse sleep apnea. My blood pressure medicine may be causing chronic cough and fuzzy thinking. Cough is interfering with sleep and fuzzy thinking just makes me feel horrible. Reaching for anything to feel better. My cancer prevention treatment is forcing me into menaupoase. Causing me to have less energy, hair thinning, skin drying, all kinds of fun stuff on an accelerated timeframe. Stress from caregiving.

None of this is leaving me in the best mental or physical state to make serious change.

I am not complaining. I am trying to come to acceptance that I have a battle ahead if I want the remainder of my life to take a different path than it is currently taking.

I cannot allow this path to continue.

This path leads, at best, to physical discomfort and mental strain for years to come.

This path leads, at worst, to a much earlier death. Cancer return?

My eighteen year old daughter, who has Spina Bifida, who is paraplegic, who will always need help, needs me to be here as long as possible. No one will ever help her the way I can. I take care of her most unglamorous issues with love. Who else will do that?

I probably sound melodramatic. I'm trying to find a place where I am tough enough with myself that I can get moving in the right direction, but loving enough with myself that it is actually achievable.

Who ever reads this, thanks for listening.

Am going to follow along if you don't mind. I completed my first whole 30 on 28th July and since then have been clinging to it like a life raft. I have tried to reintroduce non gluten grains twice as the first time I did not trust the response. The rest of the time I have eaten compliant foods but pushed the boundaries a bit. Tried the famed banana pancakes and eating frozen berries with coconut milk after dinner. I have been too happy about the way I feel, the no bloat, and better energy levels.

I was a carer for my late husband and totally get how it can reshape a day. And how when you are hungry, making quick choices feels like the only option, that doing good for others should replace the need for eating well.

I hope that you know that in a little village in England, someone is pulling for you to succeed.

Am going to follow along if you don't mind. I completed my first whole 30 on 28th July and since then have been clinging to it like a life raft. I have tried to reintroduce non gluten grains twice as the first time I did not trust the response. The rest of the time I have eaten compliant foods but pushed the boundaries a bit. Tried the famed banana pancakes and eating frozen berries with coconut milk after dinner. I have been too happy about the way I feel, the no bloat, and better energy levels.

I was a carer for my late husband and totally get how it can reshape a day. And how when you are hungry, making quick choices feels like the only option, that doing good for others should replace the need for eating well.

I hope that you know that in a little village in England, someone is pulling for you to succeed.

Please do follow along! Life raft is a perfect term. I keep getting on and that blasted sugar dragon drags me off again. I got derailed again, but I am recommitting again today. If I could just get through 3 or 4 days I think I could get back in the swing of healthy eating. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am pulling for you too. I wish I had never got off the raft in the first place. But in doing so I have learned that any wheat or sugar or dairy is not going to work for me. The wheat causes a runny nose, sugar causes cravings, and dairy is causing congestion. And the inflammatory response is causing all kinds of other issues. For now, I am going to focus on today.

Archived