Recommendation of spice substitute for garlic and onion

Nikki_7

Hey everyone! I chose the cooking tips section to post this topic because I don't need help regarding discovering a food allergy or why something is happening to me, as I already know I can't handle garlic or onions…I have IBS and have to stick to a low fodmap diet and garlic and onions are MAJOT triggers for a flare-up. I was looking through the Whole 30 book in the recipe section and was noticing that a lot of the marinades and sauces call for garlic and onion and was wondering if there is anyone who knows a somewhat suitable sub for those in recipes? I know there can't be anything that replicates the taste EXACTLY, but something close or something that would make the recipe just as tasty. Do you think subbing fennel in the ketchup might be ok? And the balsamic vinaigrette, any ideas? I usually just leave it out when making something for myself, but am hoping to get my hubby on board with me when I start my Whole 30 and want to make things as tasty as possible for him when making multiple serving items  :wub:  Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Have you tried asafoetida powder? Fairly yummy substitute for powdered garlic. Also, the fermentation fructans in garlic are water soluble, not fat based, so you might be able to tolerate garlic infused oils.

Veteran of FODMAP and MST/LEAP eliminations... Working on first official whole 30.

Good luck!

Seasonings are really an optional ingredient when it comes to cooking. They're there for flavor and not usually as a structural component or something else that can "make or break" the dish. I would suggest just experimenting or maybe upping the other spices in the recipe to compensate. My inclination on the fennel would be to say "no" unless you're looking for a licorice vibe. Fennel may actually be tasty in ketchup, but anything anise-flavored seems to be a dividing line among folks. They either love it or hate it.

For your vinaigrette just use extra virgin olive oil, compliant balsamic vinegar, and compliant dijon mustard. It's delicious…maybe add a little salt?

Maybe instead of the garlic or onions you could use bell peppers? Cumin as a delicious flavor depending on the recipe. Also you can buy sea salt with a smoke flavor to it. That's really good. 

Good luck!

I would suggest shallots or green scallions or chives if they don't react to your system

In a vinegrette you could warm olive oil with rosemary or dried basil even olives

I use fennel a lot for substitute in a "sausage" dish making your own either with ground pork or turkey or chicken it works you can also add poultry seasoning

Roasted fennel is nice but in ketchup I'd just stick with mustard powder or turmeric

• 2 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Onion and garlic are the only 2 FODMAPS  that I'm too scared to add back in to my diet... I know this isn't the answer you want but I just skip them in recipes - and to be honest I don't really notice much.

If I'm making something Asian I'll use scallions but besides that I just leave them out.  I've done spaghetti sauce (basil, oregano, fennel, parsley) that is fine.  I've done breakfast sausage (sage, fennel, salt, pepper, ginger) and that has come out good too.  I've done chicken broth with just celery and carrots added can't tell a difference.  

There are a lot of FODMAP recipe websites out there (you probably know this already) - maybe you can get some more ideas from there.  I've made a lot of things from here and enjoyed them.  

I do use A LOT of the Trader Joe's garlic infused oil though :)  I cook with it and keep some in a spray mist bottle - that way I can add some garlic taste to "finished" products just before eating them.

Have you tried asafoetida powder? Fairly yummy substitute for powdered garlic. Also, the fermentation fructans in garlic are water soluble, not fat based, so you might be able to tolerate garlic infused oils.

Veteran of FODMAP and MST/LEAP eliminations... Working on first official whole 30.

Good luck!

I can do garlic infused oils. I wasn't sure if they were whole 30 compliant tho? So I guess infused oils are ok?

For your vinaigrette just use extra virgin olive oil, compliant balsamic vinegar, and compliant dijon mustard. It's delicious…maybe add a little salt?

Maybe instead of the garlic or onions you could use bell peppers? Cumin as a delicious flavor depending on the recipe. Also you can buy sea salt with a smoke flavor to it. That's really good. 

Good luck!

Thank you for those suggestions! I already use the peppers and cumin and just recently discovered a Spicy chipotle spice blend recipe from Practical Paleo that I canNOT get enough of lol! I'm gonna have to look for that sea salt rec...I've never seen it, but am def intrigued!

I would suggest shallots or green scallions or chives if they don't react to your system

In a vinegrette you could warm olive oil with rosemary or dried basil even olives

I use fennel a lot for substitute in a "sausage" dish making your own either with ground pork or turkey or chicken it works you can also add poultry seasoning

Roasted fennel is nice but in ketchup I'd just stick with mustard powder or turmeric

Thank you so much for the rec's! I can't do shallots bc they are basically onions and my intestines will explode lol :unsure: The viniagrette with rosemary and basil sounds divine! Thank you!!!

I can do garlic infused oils. I wasn't sure if they were whole 30 compliant tho? So I guess infused oils are ok?

Onion and garlic are the only 2 FODMAPS  that I'm too scared to add back in to my diet... I know this isn't the answer you want but I just skip them in recipes - and to be honest I don't really notice much.

If I'm making something Asian I'll use scallions but besides that I just leave them out.  I've done spaghetti sauce (basil, oregano, fennel, parsley) that is fine.  I've done breakfast sausage (sage, fennel, salt, pepper, ginger) and that has come out good too.  I've done chicken broth with just celery and carrots added can't tell a difference.  

There are a lot of FODMAP recipe websites out there (you probably know this already) - maybe you can get some more ideas from there.  I've made a lot of things from here and enjoyed them.  

I do use A LOT of the Trader Joe's garlic infused oil though :)  I cook with it and keep some in a spray mist bottle - that way I can add some garlic taste to "finished" products just before eating them.

ok, so I wasn't sure if infused oils were ok to use, so that's good to know. I can do garlic infused oil :) And that's a good idea about putting some in a mister!!! Thanks! And I love ginger, so I'll be adding that to my list of seasonings for sausage! Thanks!

One of my go-to seasonings, if I'm not using garlic or onion powder, is Nom Nom Paleo (Michelle Tam)'s "Magic Mushroom" seasoning. It is SO good, and goes with pretty much any savory dish. She only posts the large-batch recipe on her website, but you can also find the "normal"-sized recipe here. I swear I use it in every-other dish I make! And adding some garlic-infused oil in addition would be mighty tasty.

One of my go-to seasonings, if I'm not using garlic or onion powder, is Nom Nom Paleo (Michelle Tam)'s "Magic Mushroom" seasoning. It is SO good, and goes with pretty much any savory dish. She only posts the large-batch recipe on her website, but you can also find the "normal"-sized recipe here. I swear I use it in every-other dish I make! And adding some garlic-infused oil in addition would be mighty tasty.

Thank you so much for this! I'm gonna go look for porcini mushrooms today!

I meant Kweeky...sorry. I'm doing this from my phone and I guess it autocorrected lol.

Archived