Help! Lunches giving me nausea :'(

I'm on day 12 and I feel like the program in general is going very well.  However, when I have lunch at work, I feel nauseous afterwards for about 1-2 hours.  These lunches are usually a salad, for example, greens (NOT iceberg), zucchini, eggs, salmon, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper, olive, carrot...some days are some of these items and not others.  I top the salad with balsamic and olive oil.  This is an employee dining room that provides the food.  Afterwards my stomach feels very heavy and nauseous.  After a couple hours it passes and I'm better but I hate feeling this "off" at work!

Breakfasts and dinners have been fine, I haven't had any issues and have been sticking to the meal layout for the most part.

So to be clear, this is food prepped by a third party and not that you're prepping at home and bringing to work? Have you vetted the oils that the cafeteria cooks with? Is the olive oil in its original container that you can actually see the label and original packaging or is just oil in a plain glass dressing container? Olive oil is a more expensive ingredient and restuarants (and I imagine other food service companies) are notorious for cutting their olive oil with a cheaper vegetable oil, but passing it off as plain olive oil.

My first thought is that something is cross-contaminated and/or there are undisclosed ingredients in the protein and/or fat that you're getting. My second thought is that if you're eating lots of raw veggies, then they may be too hard on your stomach, especially if you didn't previously eat such a high volume of plant matter. The fix to that would be to shift toward eating cooked vegetables and/or switching to less fibrous veggies like upping your zucchini and decreasing the broccoli and cauliflower.

• Administrators

I've recently heard (possibly here on this forum, I can't recall right this second) that some restaurants and food service companies will put sulphites on their produce to make it last longer. Sulphites are sure fire gut disruptors, it might be worth it to check.

Try taking a similar lunch to work that you pack at home and see if you have the same reaction?

Thank you, I'll ask about the sulfites (I doubt this because lunch is a short time window and the salad bar is pretty popular).  Also I'll play around with the raw veggie option to see if that is what is causing the issue.

Archived