Sportlegs supplement

MGCollins

Hey all,

I'm looking at starting the Whole30.  I'm an avid endurance cyclist.  I ride 100 - sometimes 200 miles a week.  On the weekends I normally will do organized  or training rides from 60 - 100 miles (I build up from 60 week to week until i reach 100 by mid season).

I have lots of questions on how to fuel for the longer rides and have found some good stuff here and some other places as well that offer suggestions on whole30 compliant fuel options.

One of my primary supplements that I take are called Sportlegs.  They are one of the few supplements that I have tried and swear by.  The prevent lactic acid buildup and aid in recovery.

They are advertised as "Sodium free, gluten free, and dairy free".  Primary Ingrediants: include Vitaman D, Calcium, Magnesium and Lactate.

Other Ingrediants: to extend shelf life by preserving the delicate Vitamin D are gluten-free modified corn starch, sucrose, sodium ascorbate, dl-alpha tocopherol, vegetable oil triglycerides and silicon dioxide.

Do any of these ingrediants make this product a non compliant?

The other item I take during long rides especially in the summer is Saltstick electrolyte supplement.  From their web site:

• Each capsule contains: 215 mg sodium, 63 mg potassium, 22 mg calcium, 11 mg magnesium, 100 IU Vitamin D
  • Vegetable-based non-GMO capsule composition; Bio-available active ingredients. GMP production in a facility registered NSF Certified for Sport®.
  • Contains only WHAT YOU NEED. No: herbal, trace, questionable components added. Vegetarian and Gluten free.
  • No sweeteners- no high fructose corn syrup, no sweeteners of any kind

Thanks for the help.  Looking forward to starting soon.

Mark

Hey all,

I'm looking at starting the Whole30.  I'm an avid endurance cyclist.  I ride 100 - sometimes 200 miles a week.  On the weekends I normally will do organized  or training rides from 60 - 100 miles (I build up from 60 week to week until i reach 100 by mid season).

I have lots of questions on how to fuel for the longer rides and have found some good stuff here and some other places as well that offer suggestions on whole30 compliant fuel options.

One of my primary supplements that I take are called Sportlegs.  They are one of the few supplements that I have tried and swear by.  The prevent lactic acid buildup and aid in recovery.

They are advertised as "Sodium free, gluten free, and dairy free".  Primary Ingrediants: include Vitaman D, Calcium, Magnesium and Lactate.

Other Ingrediants: to extend shelf life by preserving the delicate Vitamin D are gluten-free modified corn starch, sucrose, sodium ascorbate, dl-alpha tocopherol, vegetable oil triglycerides and silicon dioxide.

Do any of these ingrediants make this product a non compliant?

The other item I take during long rides especially in the summer is Saltstick electrolyte supplement.  From their web site:

• Each capsule contains: 215 mg sodium, 63 mg potassium, 22 mg calcium, 11 mg magnesium, 100 IU Vitamin D
  • Vegetable-based non-GMO capsule composition; Bio-available active ingredients. GMP production in a facility registered NSF Certified for Sport®.
  • Contains only WHAT YOU NEED. No: herbal, trace, questionable components added. Vegetarian and Gluten free.
  • No sweeteners- no high fructose corn syrup, no sweeteners of any kind

Thanks for the help.  Looking forward to starting soon.

Mark

The Sportlegs contain two non-compliant ingredients which would make them off limits - the rules state no grain, and no sugar of any kind.

The saltstick electrolytes look fine, but it's hard to tell what other 'components' have been added.

The first two weeks will be tough on you as your body makes the transition to become fat adapted (make sure you're getting at least one serving of starchy veg during that period to help in the transition) & after that you should certainly be getting plenty of fuel in your food and your body will use fat stores for energy supplies.

Ultrarunnergirl is one of the other mods here - you might want to check out her blog for some fuelling ideas for endurance events.

• Moderators

After reading the Whole30 rules, you should know that the Sportsleg supplement is not compliant because it includes corn starch. To successfully complete a Whole30, you have to read through the rules several times and then read ingredient lists yourself. The rules say no corn. Now you might not know that sucrose is a sciencey name for sugar. Products hide sugar by using different names for it. Sportsleg contains sucrose. And in addition to corn and sugar, there is a problem with the vegetable oil triglycerides. Vegetable oil is a generic term that might include a variety of plant based oils including corn oil. So basically, Sportsleg is out on three counts. 

It is not clear that the Saltstick is okay. The info you posted from the website does not clearly report ingredients. Marketing hype will not tell you what you need to know. Only the fine print does that. 

The thing about doing a Whole30 is that it is not an iteration of your normal life. It is something special. It is 30 days when you eat real, whole foods while not eating processed foods. You can continue serious endurance training while doing a Whole30, but your performance will suffer for several weeks as your body adjusts to burning fat more efficiently and as you learn to compose and eat all the nutrition you need with whole foods. So basically, I am saying let go of your supplements and really get into the Whole30. You might decide, as some people do, to never go back to the supplements. Or, you may decide, after completing the Whole30, to add back your supplements. 

MGCollins, I did my first Whole30 in April, and as an avid athlete, I did struggle through it. In addition to not being able to take my protein and supplements, I found that I did not have the amount of energy necessary to make it through one of my “normal” workouts.

I cycle twice a week, box once a week and do plyo workouts 2-3 times a week on the other days. During my Whole30, I was so tired that I could barely make it through the first ten minutes of a workout, if I could get the energy to get up and go to the gym at all.

It did get better, though, around day 20. I couldn’t train as intensely, but I did do a 40 mile ride on day 21 and felt amazing after, which was the turning point for me.

One thing I suggest for your longer rides, is to make some homemade fuel to bring with you. In the food processor, I’d combine ½ cup cashews, 1 cup dates, some cocoa powder and coconut flakes. Once you process it, roll it in a ball then stick it in a baggie and smash it into a bar. You can add other compliant ingredients if you want. The worked so great for workout fuel for me that I still make them now that I’m done.

Thanks all for the replies. Brocka, I picked up the ingredients u mentioned... Just want to be sure on one of them. I picked up baking cocoa. That was the only stuff I could find with nothing but organic Cocoa. Is that the right stuff or should I be using something else?

One other thing....how long will these last, can I make them in advance?

Thx

Mark

Archived