Constipation ... ugh

So today I am on Day 25. Feeling great but ...

I have been backed up for ... a while ... and have had this dull pressure/pain that I previously had been interpreting as "bloating" but I really think its just because something hard is sitting there and isn't really moving. It has pretty much been there constantly for the past 3 days at least. The feeling is below my belly button on the front of my body (maybe intestines area? .. it's not menstrual pain). I've read up on the constipation threads on the forums, but wanted to get advice.

Early in my w30 I had been including fruit and nuts; however, the past week-ish I have cut those babies out as well. I thought I was having a hard time digesting nuts, but this constipation feeling still being here makes me think its something else?

From my log:

Day 22 - Monday, June 8, 2015

• M1 @ 7:15 AM: Spinach and tomato fritatta (contains coconut milk), homemade pork sausage link, black coffee
  • M2 @ 12:30PM: burger on portabella, avocado, roasted red potatoes
  • MM @ 4:45 PM: shrimp, olives, baby carrots, guac
  • M3 @ 8:30: leftover tilapia, cauli/broccoli mash

Day 23 - June 9, 2015

• M1 @ 7:00 AM: spinach and tomato frittata (contains coconut milk for fat), pork sausage link, black coffee
  • M2 @ 12:15 PM: tuna salad (homemade mayo [this batch is better!], orange bell pepper, granny smith apple, diced pickle), sweet potato, baby carrots
  • MM @ 4:00 PM: hb egg, baby carrots
  • M3 @ 7:30 PM: skirt steak fajitas, peppers, onions, guac

Day 24 - June 10, 2015

• M1 @ 7:45 AM: 3 fried eggs, spinach and garlic chicken sausage, sauteed green apple, spinach, dollop of homemade mayo, black coffee
  • M2 @ 12:30 PM: grilled chicken thighs, w30 ratatouille, avocado
  • MM @ 5:00 PM: baby carrots, shrimp, guac
  • M3 @ 8:00 PM: 3 fried eggs, zucchini, red potatoes, olives

Day 25 - June 11, 2015 TODAY :)

• M1 @ 7:30 AM: spinach and tomato frittata, half avocado, black coffee
  • M2 @ 12:30 PM: leftover fajitas! (skirt steak, peppers, onions), avocado
  • MM @ 4:00 PM: shrimp, baby carrots, avocado
  • M3 @ ??: salmon benedict from w30, spinach, zucc

Water intake - every day is between 64-90 oz

Activity levels - fitbit steps averaging about 7,000/day over the past week; no additional exercise

I'm only on day 9 so I'm no expert, but i have noticed coconut milk is hard on my stomach. For me it causes the opposite effect but maybe for you it causes constipation?

I was trying to stay away from fruit as well, but for me 1-2 servings of fruit a day helps keep things more regular. When I stick to just veggies/protein/fat I tend to get more backed up. But that may not work for you; I think everyone is going to be different in terms of what works for them and what doesn't, so I've just been trying to experiment to find what works best for me.

Good luck! I hate that feeling, it's uncomfortable. Hope it gets better for you!

Are the baby carrots raw? They seem to be something that you're eating often which is fine, but for some folks, more fibrous veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli) can cause a back-up and those veggies are bigger offenders in their raw state than in their cooked state.

Give magnesium a try. It works by helping to pull water into the bowel to soften your bowel movements and make them easier to pass. Start with a smaller dose--maybe 200mg (half the RDA) tonight and if no bowel movement by tomorrow morning repeat. Look for magnesium citrate. Absolutely avoid magnesium oxide--your body absorbs less than 5% of the magnesium from this compound. HUGE waste of money.

thank you munkers & ultrarunnergirl  :)

Baby carrots are a new add for me, maybe that is the issue. It's always funny to me how many times you will be advised to up your fiber intake for regularity, but too much fiber actually has the opposite effect! Ohhh the magic of the human body ....

I've not had issues with eggs in the past; however, I've never eaten them in this quantity before.

I will evaluate both of these separately as well as try the magnesium.

Archived