Day10 Very Bloated!!

wb03

I'm on Day 10 of my Whole 30 and I've been really bloated and gassy for the last couple of days. I've been sticking to the program (except for drinking some coconut milk with sodium metabisulphite three days ago and only realising after that it is on the no-no list) and I feel really bloated. I don't know if it could be stress as I am going through a stressful time at the moment? Or maybe nuts? Or FODMAPS?

I would typically eat the following:

Breakfast: 2 eggs in butter, a sweet potato, an apple, 1tbsp almond butter, a coffee

Lunch: Veggies (zucchini, spinach, onions, carrots, cauliflower, usually a mix) and some tuna or chicken, olive oil or clarified butter. half an avo. Or sometimes a potato. 

Snack: Banana/pear with coconut flakes and a handful of cashews. Ginger tea

Dinner: Same as lunch. With a sweet potato or pumpkin added. 

Peppermint tea

Please some advice??? I've been eating very healthy before Whole30 and was also bloated a lot. Thought it would get better by cutting out diary, grains etc. But it feels like it is worse. 

The sulphites in the coconut milk could be a culprit.

What have you been drinking for beverages?  If you have had carbonated water, that can also contribute to bloat.

Nuts and nut butters can also cause bloat. You might try dropping those for several days and see if your symptoms improve.

Raw vegetables can also cause bloat, along with cruciferous vegetables.  Drop the cauliflower and switch to all cooked vegetables for a few days and see if that helps.

Are you drinking enough water?  Aim for 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Other comments:
- when eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in 1 hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.
- if you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source. Save your fruit to have with your main meals only.

Nuts can certainly cause bloating so I'd knock those on the head for starters.

I'd also up the size of your meals to cut out the need for a snack. And you could add some fermented foods like sauerkraut to help with digestion - that or a digestive enzyme, or both.

Eggs, when they are your sole source of protein should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand which is 3-4 for most females, but you may want to mix up your proteins as it seems to keep people fuller for longer....

How much water are you taking on board & what are your activity levels like?

ETA: Chris obviously types faster than me!

Thanks so much!! Would you recommend I just start over - because of the sulphites?? It's been bothering me a lot so I think I might...

I drink about 1.5 - 2 L of water per day. And no carbonated drinks. Just tea and 1-2 cups of coffee.

I walk, run (about 40-50min) or go to the gym (30min) every morning. And I eat breakfast after I exercised.

I just feel so full already once I had breakfast and lunch... 

Archived