Whole30 in San Diego?

mzxticclez

Anyone here live in San Diego, California? I will be traveling here for the next 3 days and I wanted to know if there's any good places for whole30? What would you order from the menu and how? I really don't want to go to the basic like Cheesecake factory, TGIF and order some chicken/salmon/steak with broccoli  :(

Guest Andria

I don't have specific insight to eating in San Diego, so hopefully someone can chime in with names of restaurants for you.

I wanted to suggest, though, that you do some research ahead of time and use the internet to explore restaurants in the area that you will be staying.  Call ahead and see if they can accommodate your requests. Cheesecake Factory would probably be one of the last places that I would expect to get anything remotely compliant.  It is pretty likely that their meats come in already pre-prepared and are either coated, marinaded or injected with something that would be non-compliant.  You would also need to ask what oils they coat the grill with and, if necessary, could they cook on a dry grill.  Watch out for steamed veggies that they don't add butter to them.

While dining out, you will likely have to stick with plain meat and plain steamed veggies, anyway.  Unless you dine at a Paleo restaurant (even there they could still add honey, for instance, to salad dressing or marinades), most place are going to add marinades, sauces with non-compliant ingredients to some part of the meal.

I lived there until last year. There's a place at the Fashion Valley mall called True Food that I heard of from a former neighbor who had eaten there during a Whole30. I've never eaten there myself but it might be worth checking out.

(It's actually right across from the Cheesecake Factory - haha)

I live in San Diego (out of town right now otherwise it'd be cool to meet up), but I tend to cook at home when doing W30s. Raglan's in Ocean Beach has grass-fed burgers, so that might be a place to start.

"Not So Fast" is a paleo food truck in the area but I haven't been there yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived