Colon polyps

For the 3rd time in a year I have had colon polyps removed. So far they have all been classified benign/ precancerous. I am still waiting on the results from the 3rd round.

The research I have done says to eat a high fiber diet including grains, to limit fats and red meat, and to lose weight/ exercise.

I have no problem eating more vegetables to get the fiber I need, but I was wondering about the fat and red meat limitations. I know the experts here are a little more up to date on the latest medical information. I don't mind cutting back some red meat but cutting fats kind of goes against the Whole 30 and paleo in general.

Did you formerly eat many refined carbs?  What was your vege intake like?

My husband, Bear doesn't restrict meat/vege/fats but does not eat refined carbs.  He's been polyp free like forever.  9 cups of vege aday keep the colon healthy.  He's healthy as a Grizz. Wild  animals seldom need polyps removed but they don't eat any refined foods and  refined carbs either.   

• Moderators

We cannot advise you about how best to proceed with a medical condition because we are not doctors. And there are some issues with specific medical conditions that justify altering our basic approach. However, I will make a few comments...

Many highly credentialed experts in places of authority advise exactly what you found in your research. Their advice has been prominent as the United States has become a prominently obese nation, so you might want to take that into account. The problem in my opinion is that big food corporations have bought the system with "research money" and a lot of incomplete and outright false information is published. 

Around here, we think the ideal approach to eating is to compose meals according to our meal planning template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

I think failing to eat red meat at least 3-4 days per week means that I am doing badly and I am happy to eat red meat every day. Our experience working with tens of thousands of people is that eating according to our recommendations improves health consistently and keeps working for a lifetime. :)

On a personal note, my father had stomach surgery.   They told him the worst thing going forward is pizza dough...cooked of course.

It sets up like glue in the gut. We cook for my folks and they eat like we do.  My father hasn't been in the hospital for a very long time.  Our good cookin' of meat, vege, fats, fruit is improving his health. It's helped all of us.  Hoo-ah!

Sheena,

My husband's gastroenterologist has him taking folic acid (in vitamin form) to prevent future polyps and lower his risk of colon cancer. He bdoes have ulcerative colitis, so he has colonoscopies every other year to look for polyps and lining changes.

Cheryl

One of the things I always keep in mind any time I'm talking to a doctor - is how long ago were they in medical school, and how much have they stayed current on medical literature/learning.  I've been to docs who were in medical school 30, 40, 50 years ago...and still hold fast to an unwavering view of what they learned back then...including the gospel truth that "whole healthy grains are the most important part of your diet", and "don't eat more than two eggs a week, and stay away from red meat becuase it has (gasp!) too much saturated fat".  Those docs don't "practice" on my family for long, if at all.

Please remember that doctors are human...and people don't like change.  Many of them still hold fast to what they learned when they were in medical school years and years ago.  Do your research, know your doc's background, and be willing to have open, transparent conversations.  If they won't reciprocate, find a different doctor.

I have had polyps removed as well.  My doc at the time (about 6 years ago and pre-W30) told me that I need to eat lots of whole healthy grains to increase my fiber intake, and also to cut the fat out of my diet and severely limit red meats as a protein source.  I told her that when I add too much fiber and remove the fat from my diet I get VERY constipated.  Her response?  "Interesting, I've had other patients tell me exactly the same thing.  BUT, you need to eat more grains and limit the fat anyway".  I found a different doc.   :blink:

Archived