Turnips, Parsnips, Winter Squash?

jillian

We are ok with those veggies as long as you're not using them to satisfy a white potato addiction. It's not necessarily the starch that bothers us as much as how much potatoes are over consumed and the fact that there are a ton of veggies that are more nutrient dense that we'd rather see on your plate. But the short answer is you can have those veggies :)

Prior to my Whole30, one of our favorite recipes has been mashed turnips and cauliflower topped with bacon bits... essentially a replacement for mashed potatoes. The recipe we use isn't W30 compliant because you use butter and/or cream to taste when mixing and mashing. I'll probably add it back in occasionally after my W30 because it's a Paleo-ish dish my wife loves. I view the mashed turnips and cauliflower as a crossover food that is at least somewhat better for me than mashed potatoes.

Hey guys, my advice on roots and tubers is to enjoy them! Especially if you are an active individual. I make mashed cauliflower at least once a week (salt, pepper, and rosemary) and occasionally with clarified butter or ghee. Food can and should still be enjoyable, even during a whole30! It's the over consumption of food that needs to be monitored. So if you are pusing your leafy greens off of your plate for more tubers, then consider portion sizes, but you can still enjoy them.

IMO, keep making your mashed cauliflower and turnip recipe! Sounds delicous!

• 2 months later...

I break up my cauliflower and toss it with olive oil and salt, then roast ir at 400 until it's nicely browned. Usually takes about 20-30 minutes. Then you can serve it as is, or mash it with a little coconut milk and some curry powder. Fabulous!

Archived