No real medical conditions... but

I don't have any serious medical conditions but didn't know where else to post this.

I am into the Whole30 times 2 - finished my first Whole30 and am now 3 weeks into my second one. I've lost some weight but otherwise not feeling that much better than befo're.  I have chronic pain; arthritis, and I'm on low-dose thyroid meds.  

I have lately been suffering from more headaches than previously and I'm also having trouble with my eyes burning and hurting most every day... sometimes it's hard to keep them open they hurt so much. It just dawned on my this morning, this has really only started in the past 60 days so I can only conclude it has something to do with my diet (or lack thereof)!

I am sticking faithfully to the 'legal' foods  except for only 3 times in the past 7 weeks when I ate out & maybe had the wrong oil as part of my salad dressing.  

I'm eating lots of eggs, protein, and vegetables - not so much fruit but some on occasion and drink lots of water.

Just wondering if any of the mods/admin might have any insight as to what may be causing the head/eye aches and burning?

I just had my eyes examined and they are in great shape and I get lots of sleep so am at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

Pollen? Allergies?  

Are you drinking at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

You might try scheduling a visit with your primary care physician about the headaches and eyes burning.

I've been told the allergy season here is worse than normal and I've been taking antihistamines so... possible not getting quite that much water = will have to re-evaluate that.

As for seeing my health care practitioner... well all I can say is she is not a nutritionist and isn't very helpful on that front.  Maybe it's the water.

Thanks for the feedback!

One possibility with the eyes - especially since you have a history of arthritis and thyroid issues (read: inflammation) is an autoimmune condition called Sjogren's Syndrome. It's more common with women than men and it affects moisture producing glands. The eyes are usually the most commonly affected. The easiest test is to get bloodwork done to evaluate a couple of key antibodies - Anti-SSA (Anti-Ro) and Anti-SSB (Anti-La). 

I personally have Sjogren's which is really the only reason I mention it. Not many practitioners are familiar with the condition as, say, Rheumatoid Arthritis. It may not have anything to do with what you're experiencing but figured I'd throw it out there as a possibility for you to look into. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived