Start Date June 29! Anyone else???

Margot

So am wondering about adding 2 glasses of wine on a friday night so my friends stop worrying and just carrying on. I am not bothered re dairy and know that wheat and grains bloat me out.

If you add the wine while you're still on a Whole30, you're no longer doing a Whole30.

Whatever you do after your Whole30 is complete, is up to you - that's part of riding your own bike.

I'm curious though: how does you not drinking alcohol have your friends worrying?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day # 22- Dinner was a success. Had a fabulous steak, green beans and 1/2 of a potato. Used the rest of the steak for today's breakfast. Had steak and my first fried egg. I am going to have to learn a bit more, because I did not care for the runny yolk. But, that's what so great about cooking- you get to try and try again. 

SUPER EXCITED about dinner- shrimp and avocado salad. I am hoping it is as good as it sounds. Really starting to notice clothes fitting  looser. Not trying to jinx myself, but I'm hoping when I get on the scale in 8 days it is a lot less than what I started. Not that this diet is geared towards loosing weight, just an added bonus. 

Hope everyone has a FABULOUS day. 

Hi McNix, I agree with GFChris. I'd say hold off on adding the wine until Day 31, just in case it throws you completely out of whack. It's totally your call, though. I am sure your friends will understand. Maybe try adding in some compliant foods that are known for lowering TCH? http://www.livestrong.com/article/537158-foods-that-lower-tsh/

M1 was fried eggs in ghee on a bed of spinach, 2 buffalo chicken nuggets, and a small side of roasted potatoes. Is anyone else as addicted to hot sauce as I am? It makes everything taste delightful.

I am about to dive into lunch right now. Three grilled chicken thighs, berries, and some veggies wrapped up in collard leaves with almond-avocado dipping sauce. Definitely an interesting way to get in my veggies! And easy, too!

There's a whole bunch of post-Whole30 articles here: http://whole30.com/tag/life-after-your-whole30/

I like this one: http://whole30.com/step-four-finished/

I hope everyone has a great day 22.

Sorry to be so confusing, I was talking about day 33 after I finished the 30 and as my sole add back. I can rock on without adding back wheat or dairy, or legumes without much struggle. And I get that wine is off the table for the whole of the 30; but historically my friends and I meet at the local pub on a Friday night. I mean 25 years type historically. The pub itself is 1500 type historical and does grilled fish and salad and I can bring my compliant mushroom spice mix and it is delicious. So it is easy to get a compliant meal there. And my friends feel sad that I have to fight so hard to lose weight. They see me walking or swimming at my health club or boxing or doing bootcamp. And we always divide the cheque by the number of couples, so this past month, my buddies keep insisting on reducing my share of the bill. When I would much rather keep it even .

Anyway was just spinning, as I am determined to complete my whole 30 no matter what! Will figure it out before day 31.

Mcnix, I can completely relate. Most of my friends are very social drinkers. When we get together, there are typically adult beverages flowing. Many have been shocked as to why I was not drinking. At the beginning it made it hard (July 4th and the numerous birthday parties)  I had a dear friend think it was because I was pregnant. She was about to post it on Facebook. Luckily, my hubster reassured her that no, we are not becoming parents- I am just trying to be healthier and am on a diet. Most have been super supportive. They just needed to get their heads around it.  It did not realize how much our social calendar revolved around alcohol. I'm not going to lie and say not drinking wine has been easy. I have a wine fridge full of bottles that are screaming my name. 

Day # 23-Yesterday's lunch was ahhmazing. It was light, refreshing and did not take long at all to make. I had the shrimp and avocado salad from this pin: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/449585975279719016/. My mouth is watering just typing about it- I recommend. In fact, I am making more today. I cut the recipe in half and still that seemed like too much food for me. 

Tried on some clothes that I had bought pre w30 and they are fitting much looser! Looking forward to being a bit more stylish and confident in what I am wearing. 

Trying to wrap my head around doing another W30 during the school year. I know the beginning of the year is filled with sweet treats and stress and pairing that with an emotional eater is a bit scary to me. I am going to just do my best and prep, prep, prep. 

Wishing everyone a successful Day # 23. We are so close!!!

Schedule

I gotcha, McNix! ;) If you really want to have that wine, go for it! I think you should make sure you do want it though, and not just have it to appease others if you're so-so on it. That's going to be my own personal approach, anyway. 

I know that I myself will be enjoying a nice glass of something red or sparkly on Day 31 :) We went to wine country back in June and have bottles upon bottles of the good stuff in the basement fridge. 

I am really not feeling great today. I am worried I ate something that didn't agree with me, but I can't think of what it is. Just feeling dizzy and incredibly nauseous. Managed to have a bit of some frittata, but taking the day off work to stay home and rest. 

One week to go!!! 

I had a nice post prepared yesterday saying that I think McNix was talking about post-whole30 re the wine...but I don't know what happened to it.  I must have hit a wrong button and it went off to cyber space.  Anyway, yes, we know where you're coming from.  In most societies a glass of wine, a cocktail or a beer just scream, "hey friends, let's relax and have a chuckle or two".  So, I've been focusing on all the times I have had great laughs and fun with my friends and family when no alcohol is served and just trying to inform my brain that "this is fun.  this is life.  this is what it's all about, being together laughing and telling stories".  

Does anyone get the Whole30 Daily?  There has been a lot of good info in there on re-training your brain. and the last week is focusing on "riding your own bike".  I admit, I'm scared that when the training wheels come off, all he$$ will break loose.  So, I'm trying to prepare for that. Journaling a little and reflecting a lot.  Right now, my plan is to slow roll in August and if I find myself unable to stick to my own rules, I'll go back to the Whole 30.  Having those rules has made it much easier for me to "just say no".    

Lilakay, I'm coming to your house for dinner!  Sounds delish!  Bronwyn, feel better!  I'm doing chicken saltimboca tonight..with compliant prosciutto and ghee.  If I said that already, I apologize, I can't remember what I posted before and what was in my lost in space post.  Everyone have a great next 24 hours!  Home stretch!!!!

Hi ladies! I've been missing for awhile now (obviously) and just wanted to check in to say I'm still around! I am so impressed we've made it this far.

I'm back in Mexico. I arrived on Sunday and will be here until the end of the month. Being in a foreign country presents its own set of challenges, but I brought a bunch of food with me to help me through. I'm less able to be creative with my meals since what I have on me is what I have to work with, so I am already getting a bit bored. The husband comes down on Friday/Saturday and maybe he can bring me some yummy things to add into the rotation.

I'm very excited for post Whole30 life, but I absolutely see myself sticking to a much healthier lifestyle since I've grown so aware of my eating habits. I imagine I won't be such a big snacker anymore and I'll be cutting back on dairy. I'll likely have grains only very occasionally. I'm such an avid label reader now that I know I'll be able to cut back on sugar since it's in every processed food ever. I also don't require sweetness in my coffee anymore, which is HUGE for me, as I was a 1/2 sweetened flavored creamer, 1/2 coffee kinda gal. I'll save that kind of coffee for Sunday mornings in bed with my sweetie.

Thank you to all of you who have kept posting throughout the 30 days. I've read each and every triumph and have pulled strength from them. I know I wouldn't be finishing this journey successfully without you all.

Has anyone had increased energy yet? Or been able to start working out? I still haven't been doing much physical activity and know I'd feel so much better if I did. I just can't get going.

Let's finish strong! So happy to be a part of this group!

Day 24 has dawned in the UK and been thinking more about life after whole30. I'm thinking that I haven't had the shape change I want and I should probably just keep going. I do classes at a health club, and 2 workouts each week with a personal trainer. She has noticed my sprint sections have been 'sprintier' on the treadmill, the xtrainer and the bike. I have never been good at fast movements, but somehow I am improving. I think it has to be fuel. And the right sort.

Last night was book club, the hostess served crisps and pita chips and coated peanuts for nibbles during discussion. I had the bright ( not so) of shoving some fruit tea bags into a two litre bottle of sparkling water, it infused on the drive down but when she opened it, it was like lava trying to crawl out of the bottle! Luckily we were outside and with no sugar no harm was done. Dinner was italian meats, tomatoes and olives and on a separate tray platters of cheeses ( my former indulgence of choice) and huge baskets of bread. I had a few olives a slice of prosciutto and several slices of tomato. And was able to pass the crystal stand with white and dark chocolate dipped fresh strawberries without anyone noticing I never took one. It was easy, as I cared more about the conversation and being with my friends than the food.

I feel that the w30 has significantly improved my relationship with food, am thinking I am not in such a hurry to feel bloated, or to have diarrhoea or flatulence. Sorry if tmi, but it is starting to feel like food has the right place in my life but I fear the drifting back towards sweeteners or hidden sweeteners. It feels safer to head straight for another 30.

Bronwyn, sorry you are not well. I hope it passes soon. Thanks for the forum references- I have had a look and will keep considering my options.

Have a great day 24 everybody!

Welcome back Dawn! Mexico sounds absolutely lovely. It's wonderful to hear you're doing well!

Totally, McNix. Not TMI at all! I think that's an awesome attitude to have. It sounds like you've totally got this. The W30 will always be here if you need it :)

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I am feeling so-so today. I got it checked out and the doctor seems to think I am dealing with acid reflux which has manifested in nausea, dizziness, and heartburn. Let's hope it's not chronic. I took some OTC medicine she recommended and a Pepto Bismol tablet (probably not compliant, but I need to choose my battles here) which seems to be helping.

I've done a bit of research and I guess when you switch from eating 3 small meals and 2 snacks (as I've been doing for as long as I can remember) to 3 high-fat, high-protein meals per day, a bit of digestive distress and acid reflux is bound to occur. What a bummer! I am trying to cut down on any irritating foods (citrus, coffee) I managed to eat 1/4 of a fritatta and some avocado before work, and I feel incredibly gassy and full.

Lunch is a piece of salmon with roasted root veggies and steamed kale. Making a roast chicken for dinner :)

One week and we'll be at day 31!

Welcome Back Dawnepants! You have been missed. Mexico sounds like a blast and glad you were able to be compliant while in a foreign country. Hopefully, your dear hubby can bring some goodies for ya!! 

Brownyn- last night I had some cramping on my left side, most likely gas. I think you hit the nail on the head. With these changes in our diet and gut, it will come with some other things too. 

This past week, I have been able to 'work out'. I shake my groove thang to "Just Dance- Hip Hop" and yesterday I did the 7 minute HIIT workout. Needless to say, I am sore all over. Will try to get in 10K steps. My mom bought me a fitbit so I plan on tracking like a champion. 

Yesterday I made crab cakes with a salad. Found a great recipe on pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/pin/449585975279718921/. It was really yummy. Minus the pain from gas, I will make again.

Day # 24-I'm finding it easier to make breakfast, even though I hate breakfast. Tonight, we will be having fajitas. I will most likely make a fajita salad. Have a fabulous day y'all!!

Hey Ladies!!! So great to see you are all doing so well!!! 

The hubs and I had a fabulous getaway and I am just getting back to reality, lol!

Our get away did not quite go as planned food wise ...I went into it fully committed to finding a way to make whole 30 work but have to admit I fell short. I would say 90% of the time i was able to eat on plan but 10% was not.  I realize in the whole 30 world that is a big fat failure but I am actually looking at it as a success!!! I made much healthier choices than i ever would have before embarking on this journey and now that i am back home and able to fully control my food I am right back on the wagon  :rolleyes:

I really admire those of you who have traveled while doing this and have been able to stay 100% compliant!!!

As I said though I am going to continue trudging forward and retraining my brain/food relationship! I have lost weight and inches and am determined to continue moving forward and not let this setback totally derail me...after all flexibility is required in this crazy thing called life, right???? if you can't bend, you break ;)

Great job Margot!  I'm going to jump in here and say that you did the very best you could and you will just get back on the horse and ride!  It's true, it's just hard once we leave the house.  I have a great story about my brother who put soy sauce in the salad dressing (he says, "only a teaspoon or so"), at a family party and I'm like, "Great, now I can't have salad...one of two items I was counting on for this family meal!"  There's really no telling what is in the food, in your average restaurant, no matter what a waiter or chef tells you.

Anyway, before a moderator get's in here tells you have to start over...I'm going to say just keep going!  You can do another 30 because you've got this!  It looks like we're all on board for another 30 days anyway!  Stay on the train my friend.  We are with you!

Great job Margot!  I'm going to jump in here and say that you did the very best you could...

Anyway, before a moderator get's in here tells you have to start over...I'm going to say just keep going!  You can do another 30 because you've got this!  It looks like we're all on board for another 30 days anyway!  Stay on the train my friend.  We are with you!

Nowim, I couldn't agree more! Margot got us all together and together we will all finish strong.

Today was hectic in the extreme, but had lots of little successes, not least staying compliant.

Here is a snap of my dog Ralph working out.

Mcnix, Ralph is a cutie. I love that he works out too!! Our lab, Nola is a big snuggler too!! 

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Had steak fajitas with salsa and guacamole. I paired it with a salad-the hubster with tortillas and cheese. A few weeks ago I would have been devastated, but now it really does not phase me. 

I'm going off the grid for the next couple days. Hope everyone has successful and happy compliant days!! 

nowim55...thanks for the pep talk and those were my thoughts as well.  If i tell myself to start over that means i have failed and i know i would derail completely at that point but if I continue on to the finish line then I've overcome the obstacles and didn't let them beat me...I win ;) I will definitely be in for another 30!!! you guys make it easy!!!!

lila.kay26...hope you are going off the grid for something fun!!!

Mcnix and Bronwyn...thanks to y'all as well for the supportive and encouraging comments!!!

i appreciate you all more than you know!!! :rolleyes:  :wub:

on a side note i came across a "dish" while in washington that they sell at the local grocery stores that i LOVED...made some last night and the hubs and my boys ate it until it was gone! (even my 14 yr old that NEVER eats salad) the store called it super food and while i'm sure i didn't get it exactly right here it is:

chopped kale makes up the bulk of the dish

small amount of purple cabbage mixed in

grated carrots (just a sprinkling)

one diced apple

red grapes

blueberries

sunflower seeds

walnuts

light dusting of balsamic vinegar

(its even better after it sits for a bit in the fridge)

By the way this was one of my wins...while in the san juan islands the hubs and i went into 3 different restaurants and walked out because i could find nothing "safe" on the menu so we dipped into a grocery store to see if we could find a compliant meal...we ended  up with this salad and turkey breast :ph34r:

That sounds delish.  Funny, the minute my boys hear I'm making Kale, they run.  I grew up eating greens of all kinds.  I love them cooked, raw, crisped into chips.  I'm going to try this recipe and see if I can get my boys to eat it up!

That sounds like a delicious recipe! Kale is definitely growing on me. I love it steamed, sauteed in ghee and garlic, with a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of lemon zest. Very "bright" tasting, and an easy way to get a few servings of veg in. Meghan Telpner has some bomb kale chip recipes. Some non-compliant ingredients like tamari, but that can be subbed with coconut aminos or omitted. Yum! http://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/because-6-kale-chip-recipes-arent-enough/

Feeling really good at the moment. I think that I am back to business as usual. I've stopped eating so close to bed time (giving it a buffering time of 4 hours before I got to bed), and the OTC medicine has helped with the heart burn. I've also begrudgingly cut down on tea and coffee. Still a bit gurgly here and there, but not like it was on Monday night. Yikes! I've also successfully started up working out with some pilates videos for strength training on YouTube from "Blogilates". A bit cheesy, but those workouts are intense.

Going to the in-laws for a BBQ tonight. They were cool with us bringing our own supplies (mixed veg and two steaks) to stay compliant. However, I am not looking forward to explaining what the Whole30 is to them and what we can eat. One time they stayed over at our house because of a power outage and they were shocked / grumpy we didn't keep milk, cereal, or toast in our house for breakfasts. Sigh...

Hard to believe by this time next week, we'll be in the reintroduction phase! I bought a book "Practical Paleo" that I'm planning on following along with Post-reintroduction (likely when I get back from my vacation). This has been such a good journey for me, and it's a great bonus to have this community of awesome women to follow along with.

A great NSV for me I've been thinking about is that I feel like I am not obsessed with food like I used to be. I used to think about food constantly, when would I get my next meal, how would I "make up" for eating junk, what are the calories... I would be so irritable and hangry if I was even an hour late eating, but now I feel fantastic! No more binging on unsatisfying junk either. I am learning to regard food as fuel, and I am so grateful!

Hope you all have a great day!

Hmm it is the weekend!

My nsv's have to do with how good I feel. I am wondering if my thyroid is kicking a little, as I have been warmer recently. Prior to starting this, I was always very cold. My digestion has improved - previously it was gurgly and gassy but much less so now. This even tho broccoli and cauliflower are on the menu. I do feel as if magically, things are getting done so I must have lots more energy as it is as tho someone else is doing them.

I am sleeping better. And am quicker in my workouts.

And I know what Bronwyn means re food. I think about it when shopping and not alot thereafter. I know I will be able to pull a delicious meal out of my kitchen when it is wanted.

Xx

Ladies we are almost there!! 2 more days. When I first started I didn't think I would make it this far. But here we are. This week I'm going to keep it simple again. I found a recipe for chicken chipotle soup, I have plenty of pork carnitas left over, and I might do a bacon burger salad. I also bought shrimp for the hubby and I. I've never cooked with shrimp, so I'll be looking for a simple stove top recipe. Hope everyone is doing well!  :D

Agreed!  Keep it simple.  Planning a picnic on the beach for tomorrow night!  

I have to admit this last week has been hard.  I don't know why?  It's not really the food...I found myself to be super crabby and not wanting to "deal".  Had to white knuckle through a few late afternoons. Not hungry, just craving a snack.  I found that once I got past dinner, I could settle down. That's a lesson for post Whole 30.  Make meal plans prior to 3:00 and stick to them!  I'm at my weakest from 3-5 and if the hubby wants to grab a meal out, or open a bottle of wine before dinner...I'm vulnerable.

Shrimp are easy, season the shrimp however you like, get your pan super hot, put your favorite fat in the pan, sear and toss around the pan a bit.  Should take only a few minutes.    Two more days, two more days, two more days!

Archived