Starting July 8th - anybody with me?

yggy

Good morning!

Today is Day 1! Anyone else starting today?

I started a couple of weeks ago, but was blown away when I traveled, it was just overwhelming to comply with the program for me. I am still on the road, but only another 2 more days so I gathered I can do this :)

My goals for the next 30 days:

• stay within the Whole30 rules - no sugar - no alcohol - no grains - no legumes - no dairy - no additives - no junk
  • sleep 7.5 hours every night
  • meditate 10min a day
  • write my journal every day
  • Log minutes spent on the internet - on the laptop - no more hunching on the mobile phone!
  • exercise 30min a day, whether it is pilates, crossfit, running or walking
  • work on my ankle flexibility
  • get into nature at least once a day for a walk or run barefoot on the grass
  • read a little every day

No flash goals, no lofty dreams, just a plain little plan to change my life :wub:

Day 1 is over :)

Today went ok. I did not have brekkie straight away, because I got up at 3:30 and did not feel like cooking until 6:30... is that ok? Lunch was with clients and we had catering - I left the cakes, sandwiches and cookies and had some fruit, so I was not completely left out - I then had my lunch after everyone left. The fruit gave me some issues with my IBS :( Dinner at home was fine :) with all the meetings I had little time to do anything else and I am also packing for another business trip tomorrow - but I did manage to move a little, reflect and also spend some time outdoors - although it was only in the yard.

Meal 1: mince meat, carrot, green bean, coconut oil stir fry with scrambled eggs

Meal 2: mince meat, carrot, green bean, coconut oil stir fry with scrambled eggs

Meal 3: mince meat, carrot, capsicum, spinach stew with tomato and bone broth

Snacks: fruit before lunch, a mandarin in the afternoon and jerky + 90% dark chocolate after dinner - will need to work on the snacking!

How was your day?

Day 1 is over :)

Today went ok. I did not have brekkie straight away, because I got up at 3:30 and did not feel like cooking until 6:30... is that ok? Lunch was with clients and we had catering - I left the cakes, sandwiches and cookies and had some fruit, so I was not completely left out - I then had my lunch after everyone left. The fruit gave me some issues with my IBS :( Dinner at home was fine :) with all the meetings I had little time to do anything else and I am also packing for another business trip tomorrow - but I did manage to move a little, reflect and also spend some time outdoors - although it was only in the yard.

Meal 1: mince meat, carrot, green bean, coconut oil stir fry with scrambled eggs

Meal 2: mince meat, carrot, green bean, coconut oil stir fry with scrambled eggs

Meal 3: mince meat, carrot, capsicum, spinach stew with tomato and bone broth

Snacks: fruit before lunch, a mandarin in the afternoon and jerky + 90% dark chocolate after dinner - will need to work on the snacking!

How was your day?

Hi Iggy & welcome to Whole30-ville

I'm sorry to have to say this, but chocolate is off limits during your Whole30 no matter how high the cocoa content. 

The fruit on it's own is also something that is very much discouraged (although I can see why you went this route today) so going forward try & eat your template meal first & then if you still have some room you can squeeze your fruit in.

Also, eating within an hour of wakening is key to getting your hormones back into whack. Do you waken so early every day? You may need to tweak your meal schedule...

Your main meals look well enough composed although you may get a little bored eating the same thing all day!

Hi ya Yggy.  I started a Whole30 month or so back and got to day 28 when my husband came home from working away for 5 weeks and wanted to start with me.  So I left the plan for a few days and am jumping back on Day 1 tomorrow.  Snacking is something I need to work on this round too.  Oh no with the chocolate.  At least you have discovered it early on.  Here's to Day 1 tomorrow.  Fx

Hi jmcbn :)

Thanks for your reply! I only wake so early when I have early meeting or travel (like today). Normally it should not be much of a problem. I am always hungry in the morning, but brekkie at 3:30am would not carry me through to lunch - and with meetings and travel I normally have lunch in a group, so cannot shoot of for lunch at 10am... How can I tweak it? Dark chocolate :mellow: that's a shame. I know about getting bored of meals, but then that's something that comes with meetings/travel as well, as I am really short on time. I'll try to prep more on the weekend.

Hi BellybreathsofHappiness :)

Love your name :D I need to do more belly breaths :) cool we are on Day 1 together!! Good luck for you and your hubby! How did you feel after 28 days?? And how did you feel taking a few days off?

Today will be another day off travelling, flying down South for a chilly couple of days of meetings :huh: packing some jerky, nuts and mandarine for brekkie and then it is all restaurant foods, which will be tricky :mellow: Sooo over travelling :wacko:

:( I feel like a failure, today was so bad :wacko:

It all started off ok and I stayed strong at the airport and did not have any off plan food. Then in the plane, instead of my normal fruit platter, I got a cookie - and I ate it :angry: Lunch was ok with a bunless chicken burger and wedges with sweet chilli sauce, but then I had a grain free cake - I see them so rarely... :unsure: And I really don't want to excuse this, but I work in construction and had a few beers tonight and finished off with a bunless burger and chips - by the time we ordered I was oblivious of the cheese on the burger :mellow:

All in all an even worse than average day - sometimes I wonder if restrictions set me off like this. I feel so ashamed of myself today and am a bit angry  :(

Please don't be angry with yourself or feel like a failure.  I cannot tell you how many times it took before I quit smoking, over 5 serious attempts, once for 3 years and then BOOM, one puff and I was a goner.  I have been a non-smoker for 4 years now and I feel pretty safe.  You will get where you wish to be, we learn from each "failure".

So today is my day 1 on the Whole30 life style.  I have noodled, ha, over Paleo for at least 1 year, tried some other things which worked pretty well, but then had a rude health awakening in late February of this year and have resolved to change my dietary habits.  I stumbled across this program from a pinterest pin and believe it is the path for me to follow for the next 30 days.  I do plan on making good choices, but also realize that a stumble waits around each daily corner.  I resolve to restart each time to 30 unbroken days.  I will be happy to listen and to share my journey with you.

I only wake so early when I have early meeting or travel (like today). Normally it should not be much of a problem. I am always hungry in the morning, but brekkie at 3:30am would not carry me through to lunch - and with meetings and travel I normally have lunch in a group, so cannot shoot of for lunch at 10am... How can I tweak it? 

I think on the days that you travel you'll have to fit in a mini meal at some point before your meal two. So meal one within an hour of wakening, then a mini meal of protein & fat (& preferably veggies) around 8:30/9ish (or whenever suits around your schedule) & then meal two & three as normal.

Mini meals are composed like the template, but just smaller - something that will tide you over without it being 'snacky' - so not a few handfuls of nuts, maybe something more like a bit of chicken with some mayo & carrots.... or a boiled egg & some celery/carrots/pickles...

Hi voodoo96,

Yay :) Let's do this together :) I agree, let's start over every time we fail and eventually we can celebrate 30 days!!!

I just felt so bad as it is so early in my journey and I just could not get it right :( - new day today and I am sure I can do another step in the right direction! Still debating with myself how to tackle today, we have an early start on site and I am not sure where I can get a complaint first meal from this early in the morning...

Hi jmcbn,

thanks for the advise! Chicken and carrot sticks or boiled egg and pickles sounds great!

• Administrators

Hi yggy,

I don't want to dissuade you from your immediate plans but it's worth asking how much preparation you've done?  A very major cornerstone of the Whole30 is preparation, both in mental fortitude and meal planning/prep.  

I think it's unfair to yourself if you are going to jump in with both feet and not have some sort of plan in place for meals.  Eating out is very, VERY difficult on Whole30 and shouldn't really be seen as your first option.  

It might be worth it to you to take some time to read through the resources and all the information on the forum (especially if you google "Whole30 picnic" because you'll get lots of ideas for compliant meals that you can take with you on the go to your construction sites).

We're definitely here for you and we know you can do this.  A little pre-planning goes a long way in strengthening both your plan and your resolve in the face of temptation.

I started my Whole30 on July 8th, too! I am fortunate to have a lot of family support for this, as my sister just completed Whole90, my dad just surpassed Whole30, my brother and his wife are somewhere in week 3, and my other sister is on Day 4. The latter forced me to go grocery shopping with her a few nights ago so I have plenty to eat for 3 days or so. We text each other photos of the meals we're particularly proud of, as few of us were actually "good at cooking" prior to this. I am doing okay so far, but already feeling like I'm experiencing the carb flu, and constantly looking around for something to eat, even though physically I am satiated; I know it's just a bad habit! That's why even though I could snack on Whole30 compliant foods, I am trying to be conscious of when I am actually hungry or when I am falling prey to mind games. Today, I am working on removing certain foods from my grasp. At the same time, I'm working on a cooking habit through Foodist Kitchen. The great thing about that is the goals of both the 30 day cooking habit program and the Whole30 are pretty much the same. The only differences are in the food recommended, but they really don't contrast each other. My other Whole30 SMART goals include walking at least 3,000 steps per day and finishing reading "The Whole30" book. (I am finishing "It Starts with Food at the moment.) I also paid the $14.95 to sign up for the emails, as I do pretty well when I put my money where my mouth is! I am waiting for food to come from U.S. Wellness Meats, Vitacost, and Barefoot Provisions, as I abhor grocery shopping, esp. for hard to find things, so I'm trying to get everything except produce from the internet. (Apparently, U.S. Wellness Meats also offers boxes of organic produce! Everything is so pricey, though.)

I'm really looking forward to feeling healthier, losing weight/inches (which I need to do before getting pregnant, not because I actually care what size I am), getting on a regular sleep schedule, and getting my energy back. I've suspected I have cortisol issues, and now I know that it's likely diet-related, I'm looking forward to correcting it. That's what's different about this diet... it's not really a diet. It's just "eat food that's healthy for you, based on scientific data". It's an elimination diet to find out if I really am sensitive to dairy or wheat. It's a way to stop going out to eat so often, actually reducing my food expenses, even though I'm spending a lot more on high quality protein and produce than before.

I was going to mention that I went on an actual elimination diet 2 years ago to find out if my nursing son's eczema was related to the food I was eating. Pediatrician gave me a list of foods to avoid for 1 week, then every 3-4 days add one thing back in to my diet. I was so miserable. I didn't feel like I could eat anything, and I was so frightened of grocery shopping and meal planning that I refused to do it. I literally ate Wendy's chili for 7 days straight, as it was pretty much the only fast food entree that met the elimination diet by itself! Can you imagine doing something so unhealthy, while breastfeeding no less? (Turns out my son is allergic to eggs, but I didn't discover the dairy and peanut allergies until we had a blood test done later.)

I would like to put my son through the Whole30 diet, too, though it will be significantly more difficult as he's in daycare where they provide breakfast, lunch, and a few snacks. He's also extremely picky along with his allergies, so it's tough to get him to eat enough of anything healthy. But I figured I can at least feed him Whole30 dinners! Some day he will learn to enjoy real food, I just have to keep offering it to him like it's the most normal thing in the world.

Hi ladyshanny,

thanks for your advise. I have now understood how difficult travelling and eating out is and it will take a big effort to actually master this skill. I will check out picnic ideas but I wonder how to deal with situations where I am eating out with clients... Today I was out on site at 7, had just a banana with a coffee, thankfully a handful of nuts and a piece of 90% dark chocolate in my bag for a snack. Finally after 2pm I managed to get lunch at the airport - chicken, bacon, lettuce, egg - no bread or dressing on my caesar salad. I have many days like that...

Hi ladyshanny,

thanks for your advise. I have now understood how difficult travelling and eating out is and it will take a big effort to actually master this skill. I will check out picnic ideas but I wonder how to deal with situations where I am eating out with clients... Today I was out on site at 7, had just a banana with a coffee, thankfully a handful of nuts and a piece of 90% dark chocolate in my bag for a snack. Finally after 2pm I managed to get lunch at the airport - chicken, bacon, lettuce, egg - no bread or dressing on my caesar salad. I have many days like that...

Did you eat the dark chocolate???

Hi Ayme,

good luck on your journey! Sounds awesome with all your support system! I am all on my own, but sure I can get through eventually.

It must be difficult witth your son! Allergies are difficult to deal with but I wonder if you can manage a Whole30 with him? I am still having to cut out so many foods, I have issues with fodmaps. Sometimes I feel like stopping to eat completely.

Have you found any intolerances within yourself during the elimination? Are you ok to eat everything again?

Yes, I was starving! I know it puts me back a day.

You need to stop carrying non-compliant food around with you and then you won't be faced with these situations. Try the boiled eggs as suggested... 

Hi jmcbn,

Thanks, I will take your advise and spend the day planning and shopping for the week ahead :) I have printed the Whole30 low Fodmap shopping list and I am off to the farmers market now - after brekkie :) I have 2 more day trips during the week, so that can be a nice way to try out different options. I just thought it would be easier to go on Whole30...

Happy Weekend :)

• Administrators

If I carried chocolate or gluten free cookies in my purse for "just in case", you can be absolutely damn well sure that I would have or make sure to arrange an emergency that required them every single day.

I just wanted to say that it's OK to not be committed to doing a Whole30 right now.  If it doesn't fit in with your life or your mental status right now, that's alright, no one is going to come for you and slap the chocolate out of your hand.  But if you ARE going to do a Whole30, get your ducks in a row, make a plan, get the food ready, make some contingency arrangements for when things go sideways and make the commitment to yourself and then stick to it.  Breaking your personal commitment over and over is not going to do anything good for you, emotionally.  

Hi ladyshanny :)

I am ready, ready as I will ever be!! Starting when travelling was a silly idea, but I chose to do this and I chose to start and continue, although I had a couple of hick-ups. My body needs a cleanse. Eating when travelling makes me really sick, I have IBS and eating out is a nightmare for me. Sometimes I just get tired of all the choices I have to make and when I am exhausted from travelling - this gets worse. I had a massive sleep of 10 hours today, I was so obviously tired!

I had meal 1 - 3 eggs with coconut oil, spinach with olive oil and home-made jerky, I am home I can do this and I really chose to this :)

Off to my favourite shopping mall - the farmers market :)

• Administrators

Hi ladyshanny :)

I am ready, ready as I will ever be!! Starting when travelling was a silly idea, but I chose to do this and I chose to start and continue, although I had a couple of hick-ups. My body needs a cleanse. Eating when travelling makes me really sick, I have IBS and eating out is a nightmare for me. Sometimes I just get tired of all the choices I have to make and when I am exhausted from travelling - this gets worse. I had a massive sleep of 10 hours today, I was so obviously tired!

I had meal 1 - 3 eggs with coconut oil, spinach with olive oil and home-made jerky, I am home I can do this and I really chose to this :)

Off to my favourite shopping mall - the farmers market :)

Okeedokee, then we are here for you!  Rock on Whole30-er!  :D

Hello fellow July 8 Whole30 starters.   

Question...  I am feeling pretty sick to my stomach this evening. I have been very strict with my food coices so I know the hangover is coming ~ or here.  I am wondering if its okay to skip an evening meal.  

Thanks,

Maria

• Administrators

Hello fellow July 8 Whole30 starters.   

Question...  I am feeling pretty sick to my stomach this evening. I have been very strict with my food coices so I know the hangover is coming ~ or here.  I am wondering if its okay to skip an evening meal.  

Thanks,

Maria

I wouldn't, Maria.  Sick to stomach and nausea is only perpetuated due to lack of appropriate food. Try some bland and comforting foods.  Try some scrambled eggs with some sweet potato or  some sliced chicken breast and mashed potato/grilled zucchini.  Some bone broth would be good now if you have some.  Eat something.....not nothing.

Okay great I will try that.   I was reading about too much spinach in another post.  For lunch I  had a large bowl of spinach with fist sized salmon and Whole30 citris dressing, onions, and a small fist of blueberries.   I was wondering if I didnt have enough starch - or enough of a variety of vegetables ( I did have potatoes for breakfast with turkey and mushrooms).  

My second question is ~ i saw in another post that saurkraut might help ease (or balance) some of the stomach enzymes.   Should I include some saurkraut with your other recommendations?

Thanks,

Maria

Okay great I will try that.   I was reading about too much spinach in another post.  For lunch I  had a large bowl of spinach with fist sized salmon and Whole30 citris dressing, onions, and a small fist of blueberries.   I was wondering if I didnt have enough starch - or enough of a variety of vegetables ( I did have potatoes for breakfast with turkey and mushrooms).  

My second question is ~ i saw in another post that saurkraut might help ease (or balance) some of the stomach enzymes.   Should I include some saurkraut with your other recommendations?

Thanks,

Maria

Archived