Starting July 20 - Who's In?

swithy

I've started today, as well! I kept looking for excuses to postpone it (like the fact that I'm going camping for three days, ack!) but I realized that I've made excuses for long enough. I have a lot of health issues that seem to get worse after every meal, and especially after I eat a lot of carbs. I'm 5 months pregnant and at risk for gestational diabetes (I had GD during my last pregnancy, and diabetes runs in my family on both sides). 

So far the day has gone well, but after lunch I found myself craving sugar SO badly. I realized I was a sugar addict, but I didn't realize just how bad it really was. I kept looking through the fridge and cupboards, tempted to eat some fruit or a Lara bar to curb the craving, but I realized that I was just looking for my fix, and that I'm honestly not feeling that hungry. 

Breakfast today was 4 or 5 strawberries and a Spanish tortilla (potato, onion, and egg), and five green olives stuffed with jalapeño and garlic. YUM! Lunch was an Aidells chicken & apple sausage cooked up in some olive oil, half a banana, and a spinach salad with avocado, carrots, and fresh ground black pepper. Unfortunately, avocado, carrots, and bananas make my mouth itchy (but only sometimes - weird, right?), and today the avocado and carrots seemed to get me a little. I'm still feeling a little hungry, but I'm not sure what to eat - I just know it needs to be low sugar. Maybe another sausage. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Day 1 everyone! How's it going so far? 

So, silly me, I was out of town for a work trip all weekend and didn't have time to prepare. Been subsisting on hard-boiled eggs and whatever veggies I can find in the fridge, but looking forward to starting the real prep work tonight and making a big batch of this ridiculously good sauce (served over spiralized veggie noodles in place of the macaroni, of course, and no cheese): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/08/dinner-tonight-sardinian-saffron-sausage-sauce-pasta-recipe.html 

Question: What are some of your favorite tried and true recipes that you can easily modify for the Whole 30? Please share. 

Sophia, Mcki happy to see you guys here! 

Swithy,

I am on Day 1 and wondered what were some of the awesome things you experienced from the first round?  And you mentioned challenges, what were some you had and how can I make this easier for myself?  I hate to cook and all this shopping and label reading is a big challenge in itself.  I don't know why I have come to this point where I hate cooking, but it may be because of my extra weight. 

Vickig

Vicki  - Well, besides the weight loss (which was pretty awesome), my skin and eyes were glowing, I got less puffy (chin, fingers) and I had killer energy. I also slept like a rock every night, which isn't usually the case. And, I discovered how bad my digestive issues had been, because on the Whole 30, everything got pretty regular and easy there... But since I finished the first one, I gradually went back to my old ways, and have already noticed a lot of those benefits have gone away. I also don't think I did a good enough job on the reintroduction phase to really know what causes what in me, so that's why I want to go back and start over. 

Challenges: Definitely the prepping took a lot of time and energy. I felt like I was constantly doing dishes. But the shopping and labels got a lot easier once I got into it. Another challenge is eating out, but even that got better once I figured out I could just eat steak and potatoes alllllll the time. 

Breakfast today was 4 or 5 strawberries and a Spanish tortilla (potato, onion, and egg), and five green olives stuffed with jalapeño and garlic. YUM! Lunch was an Aidells chicken & apple sausage cooked up in some olive oil, half a banana, and a spinach salad with avocado, carrots, and fresh ground black pepper. Unfortunately, avocado, carrots, and bananas make my mouth itchy (but only sometimes - weird, right?), and today the avocado and carrots seemed to get me a little. I'm still feeling a little hungry, but I'm not sure what to eat - I just know it needs to be low sugar. Maybe another sausage. 

Mandy  - how much sausage did you have? I found at the beginning of my first Whole 30 that the portion sizes were a lot larger than I expected, so every meal was super filling. Like to the point where I couldn't imagine eating anything else between meals or I'd be nauseous. If you only had one palm sized protein, maybe double it?

Mandy  - how much sausage did you have? I found at the beginning of my first Whole 30 that the portion sizes were a lot larger than I expected, so every meal was super filling. Like to the point where I couldn't imagine eating anything else between meals or I'd be nauseous. If you only had one palm sized protein, maybe double it?

Just one link of sausage, so maybe I need two for the next time. I drank a bit of canned coconut milk and I'm hoping that will tide me over until my doctor's appointment is over. I've never drank straight coconut milk from the can, so that was new...  :rolleyes:

Day one has been a good one for me so far!  I had a surprisingly good salad for lunch with chicken breast, romaine lettuce, avocado, almond slivers, and lime juice. I thought eating a salad without my usual dressing would be really unpleasant but, it wasn't!  It was so good I'm planning to have that again for dinner tomorrow night.  I also made the spaghetti sauce in the book along with a spaghetti squash for dinner tonight which was yummy too.

My first real test comes tomorrow because I'm back at work and have a commitment in the evening that makes having a normal dinner hour a challenge. Glad many seemed to have a good first day!  :)

• Moderators

Hi Mandy Moo;

It's not that surprising that you're feeling hungry after your breakfast and lunch, both meals look very light on veggies and protien. You should be aiming for 1-2 palms (widthxlengthxthickness) of protein, or with eggs, as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... usually about 3-4 and 1-3 cups of vegetables. It looks like you're adding fats to your meals, which is great, but depending, you could probably add more. Olives are an open heaping palmful and for avocado, it's a half at least, sometimes a whole depending on the person.

Your meals should get you 4-5 hours between without feeling the need to snack.

One other thing, your comment on 'low sugar'... I assume you're referring to the recommendation not to eat fruit (or nuts) on their own outside of a meal, which is great! If you're really hungry, which you probably are until you get your meals a bit more robust, eat a mini meal of at least protein and fat and ideally veg as well!

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you fare increasing your meals!

Hi Everyone! Congrats on almost completing day one! I've been a little MIA today...we decided to stay an additional day at the lake which put a kink in our plans. But, made it through with what we had and I'm excited to get to day 2. 

For those of you "first timers," be sure to stick to the meal templates....they are the key to feeling full and satisfied in between your meals. Also, drink lots of water and be sure to read those labels....lots and lots of items sneak those unwanted ingredients in and if you blink, you'll miss them! 

I'm very excited to do this Whole30 with you all...like Swithy, I had awesome results the first go round and hope to have the same, if not better, results this time (check out my link below). Preparation is key and having a game plan for a secondary option if your first falls through. Come to the forum anytime you are feeling down, lost, stuck, or if you're craving something and want to give up... we're all here to succeed!

WHOOP!

I actually did good today. I passed up nachos and cheese and doughnuts. I've had water all day. Yippie.

I fixed the dry rubbed steak from the Whole 30 book for dinner......oh my goodness it was better than steak we get at restaurants.

One down side, I am extremely tired. My husband said its because I haven't had any sugar or caffeine today.

I hope tomorrow is just as good as today.

I'm a July 20'er too! Hubby's and my first day today. I have an addiction to sugar so I'm already feeling cranky and tired. Not looking forward to the next few days because I know I'll be detoxing & will feel like crap. I hope I'm strong enough.

I actually did good today. I passed up nachos and cheese and doughnuts. I've had water all day. Yippie.

I fixed the dry rubbed steak from the Whole 30 book for dinner......oh my goodness it was better than steak we get at restaurants.

One down side, I am extremely tired. My husband said its because I haven't had any sugar or caffeine today.

I hope tomorrow is just as good as today.

I came into work this morning and a coworker offered me a piece of her cookie cake; I passed it up but man I did give it the side-eye first, ha ha.  Good for you on passing on the nachos. That would have been a tough one for me!

On to Day 2!!! I feel a little more prepared today but we need to go grocery shopping soon...within the next day or two in order to stay in the "prepping" mode without having to scramble with not having options.

Planning to make some of my favorite recipes from the Whole30 book this week - the Shepard's Pie is AWESOME. It doesn't last long in our house...

How's everyone doing today? I'm feeling a little headachy but other than that, I'm doing ok!

We got this :)

my husband and I started on July 19th, on day 3 now! So far so good! This is our 3rd Whole30 and we have loved it both of the times we have done it before! I have a 7 month old and stopped breastfeeding a month ago, so I a ready to hit the reset button!!

How are you all going so far?

Im pleased that I haven't given into any cravings - a glass of milk, dark choc, glass of red wine, crackers with cheese have been high on the cravings! Its the start of day 3 and im feeling a little odd. Prob a bit of carb flu, feeling a bit lethargic, kinda hungry but not hungry at the same time and when I got out of bed this morning felt a bit light headed and nearly fell over! Didn't feel at all up to going for a run last night. I'm lucky in that im self employed and dont have much work on at the mo so have time to blob out a bit and prep food. I feel like I am eating a lot of food but that my body isnt recognising it somehow. Im guessing my gut bacteria are seriouisly out of whack!

Look forward to hear what your experiences have been so far

I am absolutely exhausted!!! Luckily, I am a graduate student and my research at the moment doesn't have much of a time crunch so I have definitely been taking advantage of that and enjoyed a nice nap today (I am still tired though!). Other than that I feel fine, which I am extremely thankful for considering I was a habitual soda drinker (I've tried to stop before and just get horrible headaches until I cave from the pain).

SeaLily, make sure you are drinking enough water. Dehydration could be the cause of your morning dizziness. I know I definitely experience dizziness in the mornings if I didn't have enough water the previous day.

I love reading everyone's journey, it definitely helps keep me going on mine. So I hope everyone is doing well and keeping up the good work! =]

Another July 20 newbie here!

Kid number 4 is eight months today and the weight just wont come off this time... and I know it is mostly due to my out of control sugar addiction.  Add that to some serious carb loving... so while weight loss will be wonderful I am really hoping for a reset on the sugar on carb front.

Day one was really rough for me.  I hit a wall of exhaustion about 4:30.  Managed a cat nap around 5 (really there was no choice, I could not keep my eyes open) and woke up with a raging headache.  I tried hydrating, but it had the makings of a migraine so I took some Excedrin and went to bed a few hours early.

I am sure it was lack of caffeine.  I have been a hard core diet coke drinker- and I have quit several times.  It is always brutal.

This morning I literally took a shot of my husband's black coffee and have had some tea this afternoon.  I don't particularly enjoy either, so once I wean the caffeine giving them up will be easy :) 

Anyway, today has been much better!

I started on Monday a whim!  The first I heard of this was last Thursday night, started packing our daughters for camp on Friday and dropped them off on Saturday.  Decided on Sunday that I was just going to jump in - we eat out constantly, too much processed food, and I have tried to figure out for years what is causing digestive issues.  So hopefully this will eliminate them and I can avoid them long-term!  I have finally been able to spend some time researching today!  I did have a banana, pineapple smoothie this morning so after reading more, I will be avoiding that.  I also have eaten way more fruit than veggies, and I am sure not enough protein.  I need to get into planning mode, but I am really determined to make this work.  We leave Thursday for a work conference and picking up our daughters, so it will be 4 days of eating at the conference or on the road.  I am committed to doing this so I will figure it out!  I am so thrilled to have found a group who is going along the same path at the same time :)  - Jennifer

Hey everyone!

It's Day 3 for me and I can't figure out if I am exceptionally cranky because I'm doing the Whole30 or because I spent 20 minutes painstakingly blowdrying my hair straight this morning, only to get caught in the rain on my way to the bus stop.

Probably the latter. I still look like a drowned rat, but a few cups of tea and the prospect of lunch has cheered me up a bit.

I've been posting my daily meals in my Whole30 log (linked in my signature) - has anyone else got a log that I should be checking out for ideas?

Hey everyone!

It's Day 3 for me and I can't figure out if I am exceptionally cranky because I'm doing the Whole30 or because I spent 20 minutes painstakingly blowdrying my hair straight this morning, only to get caught in the rain on my way to the bus stop.

Probably the latter. I still look like a drowned rat, but a few cups of tea and the prospect of lunch has cheered me up a bit.

I've been posting my daily meals in my Whole30 log (linked in my signature) - has anyone else got a log that I should be checking out for ideas?

Oh man, if I took the time to straighten my  hair and walked out to find rain I'd be cranky too! Thanks for the tip about the logs; I didn't really know that was a thing. I will have to start mine tomorrow!

Archived