Starting August 3rd

amyhighonlife

Hi all! 

Went out to eat for breakfast today. Was a cinch! had steak and eggs and asparagus! YUM!!! Glad to see everyone is still going strong! 

Day 6. This AM: pumpkin porridge with coconut milk. 

YUM!! Can you share the recipe for this!?!?!

I get you on the soo tired bit. I would love to sleep more than my 5 or 6 hours I get, but for some reason my body wakes me up and won't let me go back to sleep. I usually catch up on my sleep on my off week, which I still have 5 more days of working before that happens.

I know snacking is not an ideal way of eating, as I think one of the things the Whole 30 wants you to do is sit down and be mindful of your eating. Is there any way you could take 20 minutes and go sit down to eat?

. I eat a meal shortly after waking (although it usually is a bit smaller than normal, lately it's a sweet potato, egg, hamburger/sausage mix that I cooked in my crockpot a few days ago). Then around 6 or 7 we eat dinner. Then back to work at 8:30 pm.

Sounds like a grueling schedule for sure, I feel much better on about 9 hours of sleep, but tend to get only 6. I catch up when I can and try to take a mid afternoon nap in-between jobs if I can. 

Can't really take a 20 min break, but I have been waiting until 10pm or so and eating then. I can usually sneak away for 10 mins without anyone knowing and eat then. I try to make my afternoon meal very large and as close to the beginning of the shift as I can manage. I actually haven't been "hangry" like I thought I would be going 8+ hours between meals! 

Can you share the egg-sausage-sweet potato recipe? I've been thinking that I need to make something easy like that for breakfasts for us both next week. Its hard to get up and going and out of the house on time and make breakfast and pack lunch!! 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback Olly I'll keep going as is and trust in the program. We'll see in a few weeks. I already think I'm in this for longer than 30 days. Just had a grilled pork chop, with onion and pears,steamed carrots and green beans.yumm

Can't really take a 20 min break, but I have been waiting until 10pm or so and eating then. I can usually sneak away for 10 mins without anyone knowing and eat then. I try to make my afternoon meal very large and as close to the beginning of the shift as I can manage. I actually haven't been "hangry" like I thought I would be going 8+ hours between meals! 

Can you share the egg-sausage-sweet potato recipe? I've been thinking that I need to make something easy like that for breakfasts for us both next week. Its hard to get up and going and out of the house on time and make breakfast and pack lunch!! 

It sounds like you've found something that is working for you. I would definitely keep trying to eat as close to the beginning of your shift as possible.

Here's where I got the recipe fom: http://paleopot.com/2012/02/hungry-man-sweet-potato-casserole/

It's super yummy! Both of my kids love it too. The only thing I did different, was I didn't use any bacon, and instead of the 2 lbs ground beef, I used 1 lb ground beef, and 1 lb ground compliant pork sausage. I also upped the amount of eggs used, just because it didn't look like enough, I think I used a whole dozen. Made it in a 5 quart slow cooker. The only thing I suggest is to make sure you grease your slow cooker really, really well. I thought I did, but it still stuck a bit at the bottom. (although I also think my slow cooker has a bit of a hot spot on one side, as it was slightly burnt on that side, not bad enough to not eat it though. :)) Also mine was done after about 5 hours. I definitely think it'll become a staple in my house.

Day 7 for me. I like many of the recipes in the book so far. The carnitas were very tasty, I did the slow cooker version, but I forgot to separate out the fat after it was done so the refrigerated leftovers looked pretty gross. I miss cheese, a lot! I also found I am not eating enough. I found I cannot go too long between meals or I get hungry to the point of being nauseous. Oh the headache was intense yesterdaytoo! This hunger is probably compounded by still nursing my daughter a couple times a day. I wish she could help with all the meal prep that is going on now :)

Day 7 for me. I like many of the recipes in the book so far. The carnitas were very tasty, I did the slow cooker version, but I forgot to separate out the fat after it was done so the refrigerated leftovers looked pretty gross. I miss cheese, a lot! I also found I am not eating enough. I found I cannot go too long between meals or I get hungry to the point of being nauseous. Oh the headache was intense yesterdaytoo! This hunger is probably compounded by still nursing my daughter a couple times a day. I wish she could help with all the meal prep that is going on now :)

If you're nursing then it's perfectly acceptable to add in a few snacks or a fourth meal to keep you going.

Be sure to drink at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily - probably more in your case - that will help with the headaches. A serving of starchy veg per day will also help as you transition from your old diet to the new.

Hope this helps!  :)

Is anyone else experiencing food apathy? I am tired of cooking and tired of eating. I don't think I've ever felt apathetic about food in my 30 years on this planet, and yet here we are. I think it's also because I'm in 90+ degree heat, but I am not wanting to eat much, and when I sit down I'm just sort of picking at what I eat. I'm finishing up day 7, so I'm hoping that as I get over the day 10/11 hump i'll start feeling more like myself again and be excited about the food I'm eating and what I'm cooking. 

i've had some great success with Whole30 recipes (the beef brisket was to die for) and some big losers (I literally could not bring myself to eat the leftovers of my Mexican tuna boats), and some stuff in between (chicken sausage was nice, but I don't love it enough to make it again). The portion sizes are huuuuuge, though. I find myself eating about half and then not wanting anymore. I'm trying to listen to my body and respect it, because i'm also not getting hungry in between meals. Except for day three, when I wanted to eat everything, but that's passed.

Anyway, just seeing if anyone else is feeling this way. It's new to me - being full, tired of eating, and tired of cooking.

Wow - day 9. Feeling pretty good actually, though like jenny84, I definitely am getting waves of just being tired of thinking about food, prepping food, cooking food!

Anyway, just seeing if anyone else is feeling this way. It's new to me - being full, tired of eating, and tired of cooking.

I think the biggest takeaways for me so far are actually more about the habits/stories/assumptions we have about food and self-care. At the heart of it, doing the Whole30 has forced me to think about my own needs everyday, throughout the day. I actually ate dinner before my husband and child one evening because they weren't ready and I was hungry. Moms and women in general get a lot of mixed messages in our culture about both taking care of ourselves and taking care of everyone else and I know I've found that hard even when I get it intellectually. So for me personally, these 30 days are an opportunity to build some self-care muscles without guilt.

I'm also a pretty adventurous eater, but I've discovered all kinds of assumptions I've had about what makes sense for breakfast(!), that sometimes food is fuel and you have to eat what's available - not what you are "in the mood for", and that I don't need to be afraid of kombucha.

I have a weekend trip coming up so I'm a little nervous about prepping for that but I think I've got a plan.

Make sure you're getting in at least a fist-sized serving of carb-dense vegetables daily.

As a nursing mom, you are also totally ok with having 4 meals a day. 

Also, stay sufficiently hydrated: aim for 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Hi everyone!  I am late to this party, but I also started on August 3 as well!   So far so good!

About me:  I decided to start the Whole30 due to the success of my sister and mom completing a full whole30 in May!  My mom lost 25 lbs (including time after the Whole30) and my sister lost 15!  In addition my mom found she can't do dairy, and white rice gives her migraines for some reason!  My sister had the same issues with rice.  

I was skeptical and did not want to do something I considered so drastic.  I have spent this entire year focused on losing the rest of my baby weight and had successfully dropped 20 lbs by working out a ton and logging all of my food.  July hits and I am soooo tired of logging and putting in 5-6 days a week at the gym, and my weightloss returns were severely diminishing.  I decide to take a month break from logging and scaled back the working out to 4 days.  I guess that break was needed because I mustered up the determination to dive in come August!

My first motivation was obviously weightloss, then I read It Starts With Food over the weekend and my eyes were opened, especially learning about how your hormones determine pretty much everything, and how terrible inflammation is, etc.  Now I am also focused on just being healthier in general for the long term and staving off those lifestyle diseases.

Anywho, this is a bit lengthy, but I am really excited to continue this for the full 30 days and have had no issues so far, other than stomach discomfort over the first couple of days.  To make things even better, I know we are not supposed to weigh ourselves, but I had a mandatory physical and I saw that I lost 5 lbs over the first 8 days!  That doesn't hurt the motivation factor one bit.

Good luck everyone.  I hope everyone else is doing well.

Is anyone else experiencing food apathy? I am tired of cooking and tired of eating. I don't think I've ever felt apathetic about food in my 30 years on this planet, and yet here we are. I think it's also because I'm in 90+ degree heat, but I am not wanting to eat much, and when I sit down I'm just sort of picking at what I eat. I'm finishing up day 7, so I'm hoping that as I get over the day 10/11 hump i'll start feeling more like myself again and be excited about the food I'm eating and what I'm cooking. 

i've had some great success with Whole30 recipes (the beef brisket was to die for) and some big losers (I literally could not bring myself to eat the leftovers of my Mexican tuna boats), and some stuff in between (chicken sausage was nice, but I don't love it enough to make it again). The portion sizes are huuuuuge, though. I find myself eating about half and then not wanting anymore. I'm trying to listen to my body and respect it, because i'm also not getting hungry in between meals. Except for day three, when I wanted to eat everything, but that's passed.

I experienced this on my first whole 30 and I think its creeping into this one as well. It is welcomed by me.To not have cravings and be free of emotional attachment to food is a miracle for me and one of the reasons I decided to do a second whole 30. 

I am still doing well on this whole 30, I did have a couple of emotional and tired days, I only had 1 day of kill all things, otherwise things are easy going. 

Day 8 for me!

I am actually feeling very good, and like some of the bloating in my gut has gone down. I had a major win on Monday when on a day trip with friends. They stopped for lunch at a less than optimal restaurant, and I didn't even feel the least bit sad for not ordering anything from the menu. When their food did arrive I was surprised that I didn't feel tempted at all. All of the fries and pasta looked gross and "dead" to me. In all honesty when I got back to the car and ate my apple, jerky and carrot stick snack pack it was glorious and delicious. I couldn't stop thinking about how I was fueling my body with good food and how great that made me feel! They didn't even ask too many weird questions, and even commented on how committed I must be to my new "diet"! 

I'm also a pretty adventurous eater, but I've discovered all kinds of assumptions I've had about what makes sense for breakfast(!), that sometimes food is fuel and you have to eat what's available - not what you are "in the mood for", and that I don't need to be afraid of kombucha.

It hasn't happened yet, but I got wicked food boredom on my last whole 30, so I am trying to avoid this. It is also very interesting to be eating based on practicality, not based on emotion or craving. I am still working on this a lot. I literally choked down some carrot sticks last night because its the only veggie I brought to work and I know that I need to eat them! 

I am still having trouble eating a pre-workout meal at 4:45 am, but other than that all things seem to be on track. 

Stay strong everyone and have a great day!! 

Thanks you guys! It helps knowing I'm not alone. Things have actually gotten better over the last couple of days - I'd had a couple failures cooking and I was feeling pretty discouraged. However I've now made some good meals, I'm hungry (not to excess, but just normal "I want food" hungry), and my energy levels are up. I know the book says Days 10 & 11 can be the hardest, so I'm trying to take it easy on myself and not do complicated recipes that will tempt me to cheat if i mess them up. 

I'm also getting a handle on how to do this thing on a budget. I'm currently a student who is also working full time and tuition was due this month. I had a little bit of a panic, but I think I have it worked out that for the rest of the plan I'm going to be eating cheaper cuts of organic meat and buying seasonal vegetables. I feel like I need to start that blog - Whole30 on a Half Paycheck.  :D

Hi all - 

I am feeling pretty good!  But have two issues I wondered if y'all have any feedback on: 

1. Strangely, I am having a harder time getting up in the morning.  Any thoughts on this?  I seem to want to sleep in more.

2. Also, yesterday I tried going out to eat - only had meat (beef & chicken), veggies, olive oil and lemon. Checked with one of the head people before hand to make sure the ingredients used for cooking would be A-Okay. But this morning my digestive system was more out of sorts than usual.  My guess is that there must have been some small thing that snuck in there... (maybe?) .... Does this mean I need to start over?  I hope not!

Thanks!

And, welcome new folks who signed on since I last wrote.

//O

Hi all - 

I am feeling pretty good!  But have two issues I wondered if y'all have any feedback on: 

1. Strangely, I am having a harder time getting up in the morning.  Any thoughts on this?  I seem to want to sleep in more.

2. Also, yesterday I tried going out to eat - only had meat (beef & chicken), veggies, olive oil and lemon. Checked with one of the head people before hand to make sure the ingredients used for cooking would be A-Okay. But this morning my digestive system was more out of sorts than usual.  My guess is that there must have been some small thing that snuck in there... (maybe?) .... Does this mean I need to start over?  I hope not!

Thanks!

And, welcome new folks who signed on since I last wrote.

//O

On point 1, you could post 2-3 days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section. Include portion sizes, daily water consumption and any exercise, we can see if there are any possible tweaks that might help. 

On point 2, did you ask what cooking oil/fat they used, or about any seasonings/marinades on the meat or vegetables?

Thanks for the tip, Chris.  

1. Will follow this for the next few days. And post in Troubleshooting if still tired.

2. I asked if it was butter and they said "no", just salt and pepper.  But I didn't ask more generally about the cooking fat/oil.  Will do in the future.

Hi everyone, I'm just back from my week away from the comfort and compliance of my own kitchen and have a bunch of strange emotions today. I felt great and empowered while traveling to friends and family. Everyone was super supportive and mostly ate whole30 with me. I did a fair amount of the meal preparation, which they enjoyed! I actually left my "It All Starts With Food" book as a gift for my brother since he was so interested and bought a new one on my way home! I ate out once for lunch and another day for breakfast. I found the staff very helpful when I explained my situation; grilled chicken on a bed of greens with a side of avocado -asked for oil and vinegar on the side, then steak and eggs, steamed veggies and a small bowl of blueberries for the breakie.

My whole mood shifted with a negative comment when I arrived home, -started doubting myself, feeling blue, got really tired and experience the food apathy everyone is talking about! I did make a hamburger, veggie sauce to put over spaghetti squash and ate it without enthusiasm last night.  Then just before bed I had a handful of blueberries and some raisins. I know I was grabbing them to cover an emotion, which was an old habit and this has made me feel very emotional today. Ugh!

Is anyone still here??

It's day 15 for me and all is not well.... having regained my running endurance (but not yet speed) I was pretty happy this weekend, no cravings to speak of yet at all and everything I am eating is delicious.... yesterday and today I have had horrendous digestive issues and I cannot identify the reason. I have not eaten anything off-plan and I have not eaten anything I've not had and enjoyed previously so what gives? I have (TMI!) terrible gas, frequent BMs and masses of mucous, this has been since mid-afternoon yesterday and all through the night. It's 2pm now and I'm no better, also started to feel slightly nauseous.... does anyone have any advice? Perhaps I am just ill? Has anyone else experienced these symptoms on their whole 30?

Is anyone still here??

It's day 15 for me and all is not well.... having regained my running endurance (but not yet speed) I was pretty happy this weekend, no cravings to speak of yet at all and everything I am eating is delicious.... yesterday and today I have had horrendous digestive issues and I cannot identify the reason. I have not eaten anything off-plan and I have not eaten anything I've not had and enjoyed previously so what gives? I have (TMI!) terrible gas, frequent BMs and masses of mucous, this has been since mid-afternoon yesterday and all through the night. It's 2pm now and I'm no better, also started to feel slightly nauseous.... does anyone have any advice? Perhaps I am just ill? Has anyone else experienced these symptoms on their whole 30?

I'm sorry you're not feeling so good...

If you could post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, indicating portion sizes we could take a look and see if there's maybe something that jumps out at us that may be causing you issues.

Shooting from the hip things that can cause bloating & gas would be too many nuts/nut butters, too many raw veg, too many cruciferous veg, too many raw cruciferous veg (double whammy!!), too much fizzy water, or very cold iced water that the body has to heat up as it digests...

I'm sorry you're not feeling so good...

If you could post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, indicating portion sizes we could take a look and see if there's maybe something that jumps out at us that may be causing you issues.

Shooting from the hip things that can cause bloating & gas would be too many nuts/nut butters, too many raw veg, too many cruciferous veg, too many raw cruciferous veg (double whammy!!), too much fizzy water, or very cold iced water that the body has to heat up as it digests...

Yesterday: omelette made with two eggs, half a chicken breast, a bit of leftover veg (cauliflower, broccoli) some diced courgette and a bit of diced cooked beetroot, cooked in ghee ( I have been eating veg omelettes for breakfast for over a year so I don't think this is what is causing my issues); a tin of tuna with 200g salad, about eight black olives, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a portion of melon fingers; roast lamb (2 med. slices) one sweet potato with about a tsp of ghee, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, some stewed plums (on the same plate). I did have a tin of pineapple as a snack but again this is standard for me, I ran 9 fairly tough hilly miles and walked a few more.

I always eat a fair bit of cruciferous veg and am probably eating less than usual currently because I am consciously trying to add more variety. I do not eat nuts or dried fruits, I do drink sparkling water but not chilled.....

Saturday: veg omelette but with no chicken breast, just two eggs, veg and ghee; salad with 125g smoked trout (fully compliant, no sugar, no preservatives) olive oil and balsamic; beef stew made with beef skirt, tinned tomatoes, olive oil, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, dried herbs, red peppers, paprika - I eat all of these things regularly.

This morning: omelette with veg, made in coconut oil because I am trying it out, but I already had the digestive issues at this point. For. Lunch I have eaten a chicken breast one cooked beetroot, some spinach leaves a couple of tomatoes and a bit of onion, all really normal and problem free usually for me....

In conclusion, possibly a bit too much fruit on Saturday but otherwise I see nothing that should trouble me... Any advice appreciated...

Also, I do drink about 3-3.5 litres of water a day and maybe three cups of coffee total in the mornings.

Yesterday: omelette made with two eggs, half a chicken breast, a bit of leftover veg (cauliflower, broccoli) some diced courgette and a bit of diced cooked beetroot, cooked in ghee ( I have been eating veg omelettes for breakfast for over a year so I don't think this is what is causing my issues); a tin of tuna with 200g salad, about eight black olives, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a portion of melon fingers; roast lamb (2 med. slices) one sweet potato with about a tsp of ghee, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, some stewed plums (on the same plate). I did have a tin of pineapple as a snack but again this is standard for me, I ran 9 fairly tough hilly miles and walked a few more.

I always eat a fair bit of cruciferous veg and am probably eating less than usual currently because I am consciously trying to add more variety. I do not eat nuts or dried fruits, I do drink sparkling water but not chilled.....

Saturday: veg omelette but with no chicken breast, just two eggs, veg and ghee; salad with 125g smoked trout (fully compliant, no sugar, no preservatives) olive oil and balsamic; beef stew made with beef skirt, tinned tomatoes, olive oil, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, dried herbs, red peppers, paprika - I eat all of these things regularly.

This morning: omelette with veg, made in coconut oil because I am trying it out, but I already had the digestive issues at this point. For. Lunch I have eaten a chicken breast one cooked beetroot, some spinach leaves a couple of tomatoes and a bit of onion, all really normal and problem free usually for me....

In conclusion, possibly a bit too much fruit on Saturday but otherwise I see nothing that should trouble me... Any advice appreciated...

Also, I do drink about 3-3.5 litres of water a day and maybe three cups of coffee total in the mornings.

And I ran 6 miles on Friday night, 10 miles Saturday as well as the 9 on Sunday but that's pretty normal for me too.....

And I ran 6 miles on Friday night, 10 miles Saturday as well as the 9 on Sunday but that's pretty normal for me too.....

The things that jump out at me are the things you say you eat regularly (broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, peppers & onion).

The only other thing I can see is the sparkling water - are you drinking a lot of it? It doesn't have to be cold to cause gas...

You could try including some fermented foods like sauerkraut, or kombucha, or failing that a digestive enzyme - particularly if you're eating more animal proteins than you are used to.

I hope this is of some help, and that you are feeling better soon.

The things that jump out at me are the things you say you eat regularly (broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, peppers & onion).

The only other thing I can see is the sparkling water - are you drinking a lot of it? It doesn't have to be cold to cause gas...

You could try including some fermented foods like sauerkraut, or kombucha, or failing that a digestive enzyme - particularly if you're eating more animal proteins than you are used to.

I hope this is of some help, and that you are feeling better soon.

Thanks for the input. I feel somewhat better today  - I think it may have been some kind of bug rather than anything diet related...? We went to the climbing wall and I suspect it's covered in ming :)

Thanks for the input. I feel somewhat better today  - I think it may have been some kind of bug rather than anything diet related...? We went to the climbing wall and I suspect it's covered in ming :)

LOL Yes, I suspect it probably is... Good fun though!  :P

Archived