Egg-Free Whole 30

mochuisle

I did the better part of a Whole 30 in June (Whole 20?), read ISWF over the summer, and began gearing up for a second, easier Whole 30 in September for the start of the school year.

While training for a triathlon, I started experiencing symptoms of GERD and went to both my PCP and a holistic nurse practitioner at my women's health center. The NP basically saw exactly what Melissa & Dallas describe in the book - systemic inflammation that is likely contributing to my asthma, allergies, acne, GERD and seeming inability to lose weight. She ordered a comprehensive food panel, which showed almost 40 food sensitivities. Right now, I've had to eliminate eggs, almonds, oysters, clams, pineapple and both bakers' and brewers' yeast from my diet. So much for easier the second time around ;)

I just saw this log option on the forum for the first time, so I figured I'd give it might be just what I need to get through this month. Yesterday was Day 5 - I pulled my calf during a five-mile run in the morning, then officiated two field hockey games in the afternoon. By dinner time, I could barely walk and would normally have turned to food, but I didn't so I'm pretty psyched!

Pre-Workout: Cashew Butter

Breakfast: Spinach Salad w/ Blueberries and Pistachios, Paleo Crab Cakes (really turns into a scramble w/o eggs to bind them), Mashed Sweet Potato w/ Dried Cherries

Lunch: Green Juice (ginger, pear, arugula), Kale Chips w Cashew Butter, Cashews

Dinner: Spinach Salad w/ Figs and Prosciutto, Lobster w/ Clarified Butter

Taking it easy today, trying to get my calf back in order

Day 6 food log:

Breakfast: Cauliflower "Couscous" w/ Tomato Sauce (homemade), Bacon, Sausage

Lunch: Salad w/ Figs and Pistachios, Lobster w/ Clarified Butter

Snack: Raw pecans

Dinner: Acorn Squash Stuffed w/ Ground Pork, Spoonful of Coconut Butter

Hi Maureen, hope your doing much better. I hate it when I hurt myself, it's such a set back when you've got so much to do. I've had such a struggle with losing some body fat. The last time I had it evaluated in a BodPod I was 28%, which I know isn't terrible, but I've always been athletic and have been frustrated with my inability to drop a few fat % points. I was so jealous of people going Paleo and magically drop fat...not the case for me. I started Paleo last December and actually got bigger. When I came a cross Whole9 it made so much sence, especially the part where they recommend portions and limiting overeating calorie dense things like nuts. I went overboard I'm sure on the bacon, macadamias, and coconut oil. I think my body just can not handle all the excess fat and overall calories. I hate to mention the calorie word here because I know it's sort of unsettling in Paleo circles but if my body is only using a certain amount of calories a day and if I'm exceeding that, then it seems obvious to me that I'll get chunkier. Im very active and moderately muscular, but my body is just not metabolically active enough to burn what i was putting in it. So I've said all that to say this Whole30 has been really good for me. I'm following it, eating three meals a day, working out, and feeling pretty balanced. You will find what works for you, trust your instincts, you can do this!

My energy is dragging today!! I haven't slept well since I started my Whole 30 - may have something to do with going back to school at the same time - so I can't wait to get through this phase.

Here's today's log:

Breakfast - Acorn Squash Stuffed w/ Ground Pork

Lunch - Green Salad w/ Zucchini & Pistachios, Lemon Shrimp, Apple

Snack - Coconut Butter

Dinner - Paleo Cashew Chicken, Green Salad w/ Figs

Heated my calves before officiating this afternoon and had them taped by our athletic trainer, so it felt pretty good to get out and run around this afternoon. And I finally got a decent night's sleep - thank you fall air!

Day 8 log - pretty much the same as Day 7 log:

Lunch - Green Salad w/ Zucchini & Pistachios, Lemon Shrimp, Pear

Snack - Cashew Butter

Dinner - Paleo Cashew Chicken, Green Salad w/ Figs

I can't believe I'm through Day 10!! Life outside the Whole 30 is stressing me out this week, so I can't wait for the weekend and more rest. But I'm psyched I haven't let myself get derailed :)

Day 10 Log:

Lunch - Green Salad w/ Pistachios, Lemon Butter Shrimp, Apple

Snack - Cashew Butter

Dinner - Macadamia-Crusted Swordfish, Baby Broccoli, Green Salad w/ Figs

Major hurdle crossed tonight - Whole 30 in a social setting! I had a few people over before a football game, so wings, chips and beer were all within an arm's reach.... I was barely tempted! The two burgers with guacamole I had before they came over may have helped ;)

Day 11 Log:

Lunch - Green Salad w/ Pistachios, Lemon Butter Shrimp, Apple

Pre-Game Meal - 2 burgers (locally sourced, grass-fed beef) w/ guacamole and ketchup (both home-made)

Post-Game Meal - Big green salad w/ summer squash, 2 hot dogs (Whole 30 approved)

I may have found a breakfast that tastes like breakfast and doesn't include eggs, dairy or grains :)

http://realsustenance.com/breakfast-porridge-gluten-freepaleo-nutsoydairysugeregg-free/

The recipes call for Stevia, which I omitted - instead, I added a half a handful of unsweetened dried cherries to two servings. Added just the right amount of sweetness without feeling like I was feeding a sugar craving. Delish!!

First time I've officiated without pain in two weeks!! Hot yoga this morning may have helped, too ;)

This is the second time I've had green juice or a green smoothie, and I feel it owes explanation. I've been officiating from 1-4pm on Saturdays and need a light lunch that I can run on. I know M & D would recommend a salad with the whole veggies instead, but there's no way I can 1) go that long without lunch or 2) run with that kind of volume in my stomach. All the ingredients are Whole 30 approved, and I'm not drinking them for their sweetness (which is practically non-existent), so I think I'm within the spirit of the Good Food Standards. And there was minimal processing, absolutely not additives/preservatives - I stood there and watched the vegetables and fruit being fed into the juicer/blender.

I'd love thoughts on this!

Day 12 Log:

Pre-Workout - Cashew Butter

Breakfast - Acorn Squash Porridge, Chicken Sausage

Lunch/Pre-Game - Green Smoothie (spinach, kale, cuke, date, mango, pineapple, orange-carrot juice), 2 hot dogs (Whole 30 approved)

Dinner - Scallops, Green Salad w/ Blueberries

Two weeks down!! I had a great 3-mile run this morning and cooked all afternoon. Breakfast and lunch are done for the week!

Day 14 Log:

Breakfast - Two hot dogs, Sweet Potato (one half), Spinach Salad w/ Blueberries

Lunch - Green Salad w/ Ham

Snack - Banana w/ Cashew Butter

Dinner - Braised Beef Short Ribs w/ Figs, Mashed Cauliflower

I can't believe I'm halfway through!!!!!

I felt great officiating today - best I've felt since before Labor Day. And I walked into a cooking store with samples everywhere and just walked on by :)

Day 15 Log:

Breakfast - Sweet Potato "Pizza" (tomato sauce, homemade pork sausage, onion, mushrooms, olives)

Lunch - Braised Beef Short Ribs w/ Figs, Apple

Snack (pre-game) - Cashews

Dinner - Ground Pork w/ tomato paste & onions, Mashed Cauliflower, Spinach Salad w/ Blueberries

I can feel a cold coming on, and my body is fighting. Seriously hope my body wins!

Day 16 Log:

Breakfast - Sweet Potato Pizza

Snack (pre-game) - Macadamia Nuts

Dinner - Ground Pork w/ Red Pepper Tapenade, Mashed Cauliflower, Cherry Tomatoes

Tackled my first night in a restaurant! I had to ask a few questions, but my meal was clean. And my girlfriends were super supportive!!

Also officiated my third day straight - fast game on turf - still no leg pain :) We'll see how I feel after game four tomorrow and after my long run Saturday morning!

Day 17 Log:

Breakfast - Sweet Potato Pizza

Pre-Game Snack - Macadamia Nuts

Dinner - Green Salad w/ Grilled Salmon

Four days straight of officiating has a few aches and pains popping up, but nothing like two weeks ago. Tomorrow I do my last long run before the Maine Marathon relay. Fingers crossed that things go well!

I also had a student show up with a box of chocolates for me today. I didn't even consider it - took off the wrapping and handed the box around to my next class.

Day 18 Log:

Breakfast - Butternut Squash Porridge w/ Coconut Flakes, Dried Cherries & Pistachios, 2 hot dogs

Lunch - Green Salad w/ Grilled Chicken, Apple, Date & Almond Roll

Pre-Game Snack - Macadamia Nuts, Cashew Butter

Dinner - Pan-Roasted Tuna, Spinach Salad w/ Blueberries, Coconut Butter

I got in another 5 mile run this morning - woohoo!! My calf tightened up, but I didn't pull it, and I exercised some good judgment for once and passed on officiating this afternoon. A little hot yoga in the morning and the calf should be back in good form. Maine Marathon relay is a week away :)

Now that I'm getting a better handle on my life with the Whole 30 and without eggs, I'm trying to mix things up a little bit this week for meals. I did some grocery shopping today - a quick trip to Whole Foods tomorrow should round everything out - and hopefully I'll have some variety back in my life.

Day 19 Log:

Breakfast - Butternut Squash Porridge w/ Coconut Flakes, Dried Cherries & Pistachios, 2 hot dogs

Lunch - Sweet Potato Pizza

Snack - Green Juice, Kale Chips w/ Almond Butter

Dinner - Shrimp over Zucchini "Pasta" w/ Red Pepper Pesto, Green Salad w/ Pecans

Toughest day so far, at least in terms of getting in meals. I went shopping with my sister this afternoon, and we went to Chipotle to get a late lunch - we actually turned around and walked out when they told us they use honey in their marinades. So, I had late breakfast, really late lunch and late dinner. But I kept to the plan!

I also took the day off from running/yoga/officiating and did nothing more rigorous than walking around the mall.

Day 20 Log:

Breakfast - Butternut Squash Porridge w/ Coconut Flakes, Dried Cherries & Pistachios, Bacon (W30 approved)

Lunch - Spinach & Arugula Salad w/ Green Figs, Shrimp

Dinner - Lobster w/ Clarified Butter, Tomato Salad, Carrot, Apple & Parsnip Puree

A little variety today :) I found a butcher who makes sugar-free sausage and bacon. When he said his Italian sausage was hot, he wasn't kidding. Oooh baby! I also tried a steak recipe that I found on Nom Nom Paleo. It called for rib eye, but I did a flat iron, too. Delish!!

Day 21 Log:

Breakfast - Buttercup Squash & Italian Sausage Saute

Lunch - Green Salad, 3 hot dogs (W30 approved)

Pre-Game Snack - Cashew Butter, Dried Cherries

Dinner - Mexican Spice-Rubbed Flat Iron w/ Lime Butter, Cauliflower & Celery Root Puree, Spinach

Long busy day.... Reminded that this is why I cook ahead of time during FH season

Day 22 Log:

Breakfast - Butternut Squash Porridge, 2 hot dogs

Lunch - Spinach Salad w/ Chicken, Mango & Almonds, Apple

Dinner - Mexican Spice-Rubbed Rib Eye, Cauliflower & Celery Root Purée, Swiss Chard

Thanks for the Eggs-Free food log Maureen. This is my first Whole30 and I started having some digestive issues so I'm experimenting going egg-free and am loving the different breakfasts you're logging. I just followed your link to Breakfast Porridge and am springing it to my recipe database. :) I have a butternut squash sitting in my pantry . . . .

Thanks for the Eggs-Free food log Maureen. This is my first Whole30 and I started having some digestive issues so I'm experimenting going egg-free and am loving the different breakfasts you're logging. I just followed your link to Breakfast Porridge and am springing it to my recipe database. :) I have a butternut squash sitting in my pantry . . . .

Thanks! I had a check up with my doctor today, and she made a few more breakfast recommendations. As soon as I find some recipes for them, I'll post them here.

My Whole 30 experience is about to get really interesting. . . .

I saw my doctor today to go over the results of my comprehensive food panel. When I started this W30, I eliminated any foods that had level 2 or 3 sensitivities - only eggs had a real impact on my diet. Today, I found out that the 20 some odd items that were level 1 sensitivities should only be part of my diet once a week, if not less. So. . . . now I need to eliminate all nuts (except pecans and macadamia), black pepper, tomatoes, coconut and chicken :( I'm not a huge chicken eater, but no coconut milk is going to really hamper my cooking. My doctor suggested hemp milk, but it's not W30 friendly. Any experts have suggestions??

On a different note, my doctor said she could see evidence of my W30 just looking at me - less puffiness, more definition in my face. I didn't step on the scale for my appointment, but am excited to see some numbers at the end of next week.

Day 23 Log:

Breakfast - Buttercup Squash & Italian Sausage Saute

Lunch - Spinach Salad w/ Chicken, Mango & Almonds, Pear

Snack - Cashew Butter, Dried Cherries

Dinner - Steak, Cauliflower & Celery Root Puree, Carrots

Archived