Meal prep and cooking questions

Sraf05

Hi everyone! I'm starting my first Whole30 tomorrow and today has been spent shopping, prepping and cooking and planning! I'm wondering if I can eat a potato every day? I know all potatoes are okay but is it ok to eat every day? Plus I made some egg and veggie muffins for breakfasts and thought I would have avocado or chicken sausage and veggies for breakfast.. Does that seem okay? Also not sure what the "occasional" fruit is...once a day? One every two days? And any other tips would be so helpful!

A potato every day is fine - we recommend at least a fist sized serving of a starch veg like potato in the early days to help with the transition from your old diet to the new, and to help with headaches, energy, mood etc. Just don't neglect the other veg out there so as to get a good balance of nutrients.

The egg/veg muffins are fine with avocado - just be sure that you are eating enough muffins to cover your protein needs. If eggs are your only source of protein you should be eating as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most people, so have a think as to how many eggs are in each muffin. I'd probably add the avocado (for fat) and the sausage too along with the veggies - most people find they stay satiated for longer when they mix up their protein sources....

The recommendation for fruit is 1-2 servings per day, but many folk chose to leave it out completely - just make sure it is eaten with, or as part of a meal, and not on it's own as a snack as this will play havoc with your blood sugar levels.

Hope this helps & best of luck for day one & beyond!

http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

I fall into the sugar challenged group...but Melissa's comments on this thread may help you, too.

Melissa Hartwig says

17 July, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Recommended consumption depends entirely on your individual psychological and physical context. If you are active, healthy, and lean, you may include potatoes every day in some form or another, to ensure you are getting adequate carbohydrates to support your activity level. If you’re sedentary, overweight, and otherwise metabolically challenge, you’ll probably eat none during your program (or very few, in very limited amounts).

Melissa

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/#sthash.RwNzxBhZ.dpuf

Archived