A few questions about coconut oil

I haven't yet officially started my W30 but I've started trying a couple new cooking techniques in preparation (I'm hoping to officially start on Monday, August 3). Anyways, I scrambled some eggs the other day using coconut oil and the coconut taste was way too overpowering for my preference. I thought that the oil wasn't supposed to actually leave a coconut taste.Am I just wrong in that line of thinking? Is it possible I used too much? Would I be better off trying ghee? (Something I've never tried before) 

Also, my coconut oil is completely liquid right now due to the heat from the summer. Should I keep it in my fridge during these hotter months so it will solidify again? 

Thank you! 

First off -- welcome! 

Check and see if your coconut oil is refined. If it isn't you will get a coconut flavor -- adding a bit of salt to what you are cooking actually helps to mask or take away the coconut flavor. I have done that with veggies and stir fries and it does a pretty good job of neutralizing the flavor. If you have unrefined coconut oil 'virgin' oil, you can use that for stronger flavored meals and use a neutral oil or ghee for your eggs -- even bacon grease if you have compliant bacon. Or you could also pick up refined coconut oil for cooking your eggs if you would prefer!

Don't worry about your coconut oil melting -- it is still good and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Coconut can be solid at 76 degrees and melted at 78! 

• Moderators

Some people notice the coconut flavor, some don't. One thing that I've read some people say might help is adding salt as you cook. You can also find refined coconut oil, which is still the (usually) solid stuff in a jar, but because it's refined, it doesn't have the scent or taste of coconut. Or you could use a different oil. I think ghee is okay, but I don't get quite as excited about it as some people do. It's a nice thing to have for a change. You can also use avocado oil or macadamia nut oil, or if you have access to grass-fed or pastured versions, you can use lard or tallow (US Wellness Meats sells this online, if you ever want to purchase any.)

My coconut oil sometimes liquefies, I don't bother to refrigerate it, but you could if you prefer it to be solid.

• 1 month later...

Archived