mdragan W30 x1 init 8/3

mdragan42

As a Celiac with a number of other food-related inflammation issues, it's time to get a handle on what is and isn't a food issue.  This should be a good start.  Starting my plan on Monday, 8/3 so I have the weekend to plan and prep.

Day -2 - meal and snack planning done

Day -1, 0 - Begin gardening, shopping and food prep.  The garden is very prolific right now.  Prepped the following foods:

• Veggie slaw - vegetables, vinegar, pickling salt and herbs
  • Sea salt and vinegar kale chips
  • Marinated cherry tomatoes - EVOO, kosher salt, fresh basil
  • Fruit cups - fresh chopped pineapple and peaches
  • Pickled cucumbers and onions - vinegar, peppercorns, dill weed and seed
  • Homemade spaghetti sauce - ground beef, onion, garlic, tomato sauce (no sugar added), diced tomatoes, garden greens and peppers
  • Roasted chicken legs and thighs - salt and pepper
  • Hard boiled eggs

Day 1 - Success! 

Felt Physically - hungry, tired

Felt Mentally - tired

• Breakfast: 2 egg scramble - spinach, avocado, garlic, ginger
  • AM Snack: fruit cup, boiled egg
  • Lunch: chicken thigh, marinated cherry tomatoes, veggie slaw, sliced cucumber
  • PM Snack: 1/2 grapefruit, boiled egg
  • Dinner: Spaghetti sauce, 2 chicken legs, 1/2 sweet potato, pickled cucumbers and onions
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened cranberry juice, unsweetened hot herbal tea, unsweetened iced tea

Day 2 - Success!

AM Felt Physically - good

AM Felt Mentally - anxious, stressed, cravings (work related)

PM Felt Physically - tired, malaise, bloated, rash

PM Felt Mentally - exhausted, foggy

• AM Snack: kale chips, fruit cup, boiled egg
  • PM Snack: 1/2 grapefruit
  • Dinner: hamburger patty, green pepper and eggplant fried in olive oil, fresh fruit smoothie* (banana, mango, mixed berries)
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened cranberry juice, unsweetened hot herbal tea, unsweetened iced tea

*Thanks to my daughter for making me dinner while I played with my grandson.  The smoothie, while technically compliant on this plan isn't recommended for a variety of reasons (see moderator comments below).  It was still very nice of her to make it, and was a pleasant end to the day. Note: the large amounts of fruit sugar at end of day may be part of why Day 3 started off sluggish.

Day 3 - still going.  Not feeling well, but not tempted to quit or "cheat."  Haven't decided if this is a result of a virus or discontinuing coffee, goat milk, stevia, etc. The bloating is discouraging, especially since I'm drinking much more water and clear fluid.  This meal plan does have a bit more veg and vinegar than I usually eat though. I'm enjoying the variety of colorful foods.

AM Felt Physically - tired, bloated, malaise, cold, stuffy, rash

AM Felt Mentally - foggy, unmotivated

PM Felt Physically - malaise, bloated, rash

PM Felt Mentally - calm

• Breakfast: 2 egg scramble - spinach, onion, garlic, ginger
  • AM Snack: kale chips, fruit cup, boiled egg
  • Lunch: 2 chicken legs, cherry tomatoes, veggie slaw, sliced cucumber
  • Dinner: baked potato, spaghetti sauce
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened cranberry juice, unsweetened hot caffeinated and herbal teas, highly diluted unsweetened coffee (instant)

Interesting note: even though very diluted (1/4 tsp crystals to 2.5 cups water), the coffee seemed to help tremendously with the fogginess.  Caffeinated tea just didn't do the trick.

Hi there

Sorry to barge in your log, but I though I'd just give you a couple of pointers for your Whole30.

Snacking is discouraged. You should be trying to build meals that satiate you for 4-5hrs so that your digestive system gets to rest. The fact that you need to snack am & pm tells me you're not eating enough so I'd suggest upping the size of each meal - unless you have reason to be eating little and often such as a GBP surgery, or you're maybe nursing....? It's getting yourself into that 4-5 hr non eating window that helps your body go from crab burning to fat burning - and that's when the magic really happens...

Smoothies are also not recommended. they tend to be sugar laden, causing spikes in blood sugar followed by a crash, and your body deals differently with food that you drink, rather than food that you chew - the short story is it leaves you feeling less satiated.

See below for the official ruling:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Your bloating could be caused by the volume of fruit & raw veg you are eating - you might want to include some more hardier, cooked veg, and be sure you are drinking at least 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight until the bloating subsides.

Hope this helps!

Day 4 - Better start.  I was up and moving much better this morning.  The bloating is starting to go down as I'm getting used to the diet changes.  I steer clear of raw vegetables, knowing they are difficult to digest.  Even my veggie slaw is salted, drained, rinsed and vinegared to "chemically" cook/break down the vegetable fibers.  I am typically very sensitive to changes in my diet and to spikes and dips in my blood sugar.  Eating every 3-4 hours and including a protein component in each "meal" keeps my blood sugar pretty stable, reducing other issues. 

I'm going through this process to reduce inflammation and identify more of my triggers, not to lose weight (though that wouldn't hurt my feelings).  The ongoing rash remains frustrating, but I'm still willing to consider it a detox byproduct of removing sugar and other inflammatories from my diet.

I'm starting planning for next week's food prep today and think I'll go a little lighter on the vinegary foods.  The garden is making a lot of tomatoes, and the peppers are coming on better now.  I expect it will be more of a homemade pesto and roasted vegetables week next week.

AM Felt Physically - bloated, stuffy, rash, more energetic

AM Felt Mentally - awake, clear, energized

PM Felt Physically - good, mild rash

PM Felt Mentally - tired, relaxed

• Breakfast: mango, 2 egg scramble - spinach, avocado, onion, garlic, ginger
  • Lunch: chicken thigh, marinated cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber
  • PM Snack: 1/2 grapefruit, 2 boiled eggs
  • Dinner: turkey wing, spaghetti sauce
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, unsweetened hot caffeinated and herbal teas, highly diluted unsweetened coffee (instant)

As of lunch time I am feeling clear and energetic.  The work day is as full and stressful as always, but I'm not feeling the anxiety today.  Wasn't hungry for the AM snack I packed and probably not hungry enough for all of the lunch items I packed.  Will definitely include less fruit and more vegetables in next week's meal plan.

The evening was relaxing, with time spent with my grandson.  Had a small-ish dinner and didn't have the cravings of previous evenings.  Looking forward to having the energy to keep moving after the work day rather than curling up with a novel or video.

Day 5 - chock full of energy.  I practically jumped out of bed this morning.  Up and ready for work with time to enjoy a hot breakfast and tea.  I'm starting to get into a groove and glad to have more energy.  The husband is helping me focus on more vegetables, and less fruit.  Since he puts together breakfasts and lunches from our prepped foods, that's a very good thing.

AM Felt Physically - energetic, very mild rash

AM Felt Mentally - impatient, clear, rarin' to go, excited about the day

PM Felt Physically - energetic

PM Felt Mentally - relaxed

• Breakfast: 2 egg scramble - spinach, zucchini, onion, garlic, ginger, cherry tomatoes
  • Lunch: 2 chicken legs, sliced cucumber, veggie slaw, fried zucchini, pineapple
  • PM Snack: 2 boiled eggs
  • Dinner: Seared tuna, 1/2 sweet potato
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, unsweetened hot caffeinated and herbal teas, highly diluted unsweetened coffee (instant)

As of lunch I'm still feeling full of energy.  Went for a 1.1 mile brisk walk around the pond at work. At 85 degrees F, I ended up a bit sweaty.  Still very excited to have this level of energy.  The rash remains very mild and the bloating is nearly gone.

I spent the evening babysitting my infant grandson while my husband worked late.  That meant a very late dinner.  No crash or issues at all with the delay in mealtime, though I was a little hungry. Ended the day later than usual and still felt good.

Day 6 - first weekend day.  Woke up with the husband as he got ready for work, and decided THIS is the day I start taking my life back.  I joined a FlyLady support group and began the process of getting my house in order.  Thank goodness for the massive increase in energy!  Worked on cleaning the house all day, with breaks for three compliant meals and one small breather. The energy is amazing!

AM Felt Physically - rarin to go

AM Felt Mentally - motivated

PM Felt Physically - energetic, mild headache around 3pm

PM Felt Mentally - proud, happy

• Breakfast: 3 egg scramble - spinach, zucchini, onion, garlic, ginger, cherry tomatoes
  • Lunch: spaghetti sauce
  • Dinner: baked white potato with spaghetti sauce
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, highly diluted unsweetened coffee (brewed)

Day 7 - look at me go!  Food prep day, and I woke up bright and early and on a mission.  Considering the volume of food to prep for a week of meals in our household, it was another go, go, go day... and boy did I!  Almost no itching for 2 days now.  Food prepped for the week:

• Roast beef with red potatoes and carrots, seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper, bay and Italian seasoning
  • Fresh fruit salad with mint
  • Homemade garden tomato salsa
  • Marinated cherry tomatoes and basil
  • Single serve vegetable frittatas - chopped vegetables, eggs, garlic salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, ginger
  • Boiled eggs
  • Avocado tuna salad - avocado, tuna (in water), celery, onion, dill pickle (no sugar), spicy brown mustard, curry powder, garlic salt, black pepper

AM Felt Physically - energetic,

PM Felt Physically - energetic, sore feet

PM Felt Mentally - trouble stopping to relax

• Breakfast: 3 egg scramble - ghee, avocado, spinach, zucchini, onion, garlic, ginger, cherry tomatoes
  • Lunch: veggie slaw, 1/2 single serve veggie frittata, a taste of each prep dish for seasoning
  • Dinner: venison stew - olive oil, cubed venison, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, Brussels sprout greens, parsley, oregano, garlic salt, black pepper
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, highly diluted unsweetened coffee (instant)

The end of the day came later than usual.  Can't believe the energy.  The husband said he'd be skeptical of it until he saw how I got up in the morning. 

Day 8 - Bring on the work week!  Bounced out of bed this morning highly motivated.  The husband may be a believer now.  All of the food prep made it a snap to warm up breakfast and pack lunches, so we actually got to eat a hot breakfast together after he went for a jog!  We were able to do the dishes, make the bed, put away laundry, and still leave on time when I would normally have been still groggy, in pain, and struggling to get up.  Also, I'm in a size smaller pants!!!

AM Felt Physically - energetic

PM Felt Physically - blinding headache, itchy (insect bites), tired, crampy and inflamed

PM Felt Mentally - foggy, stressed

• Breakfast: 2 single serve veggie frittatas, scoop of homemade tomato salsa
  • Lunch: chicken thigh, spinach salad with cucumber, carrot, homemade tomato salsa, marinated tomatoes and basil, 1/2 sliced cucumber
  • Dinner: roast beef, red potatoes, and carrots
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, hot caffeinated and herbal tea, highly diluted unsweetened coffee (brewed)

As of lunch - back to work today and going strong.  No need to snack in the AM.  Lunch felt HUGE and was mostly vegetables. Starting to feel the need to work out again.

Hit hard by PMDD this evening.  Blinding headache, cramps, tired, and general inflammation.  Stuck to the diet plan and called it a very early night.  It's a really good thing food was prepped and the kitchen and bedroom were in order.

Day 9 - PMDD stinks. The headache and cramps are manageable but distracting today.  So happy I put the time into food prep over the weekend.  The food being ready to go is making it much easier to stay on track.  Still, despite the discomfort, we managed to get up, have a nice, hot breakfast, make lunches and the bed, and put away laundry before leaving for work on time.

AM Felt Physically - uncomfortable, crampy, mild headache

AM Felt Mentally - a little foggy

PM Felt Physically - low energy

PM Felt Mentally - meh

• Breakfast (7:30): 2 single serve veggie frittatas, scoop of homemade tomato salsa
  • AM Snack (11): fruit salad, 1 boiled egg
  • Lunch (4:30): chicken thigh, roasted red potatoes and carrots, marinated tomatoes and basil, 1/2 sliced cucumber, 1 boiled egg
  • Dinner (9): avocado tuna salad on medium tomato and spinach
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, hot caffeinated and herbal tea, highly diluted unsweetened coffee (brewed and instant)

Struggling this AM, not with cravings or hunger, but with energy and being up and about.  Hoping it passes soon.

The PM didn't go well either.  The messed up food schedule made the afternoon very low energy, and the cramps picked up.  Tried getting a little pool time with my grandson, but the water was too cool for him in the evening.  Will keep trying.  This too shall pass.

Day 10 - lather, rinse, repeat.  Another day of PMDD, low energy, cramps, and generally feeling cruddy.  Also thinking I need to add in some probiotics and cut some of the salt.  Thank goodness for pre-prepped food and an understanding husband.

AM Felt Physically - uncomfortable, crampy, tired, general malaise

AM Felt Mentally - foggy, unmotivated, a little down

PM Felt Physically - more energy, still uncomfortable

PM Felt Mentally - anxious, overdrive

• Breakfast: 2 single serve veggie frittatas, scoop of homemade tomato salsa
  • Lunch: 2 chicken legs, roasted red potatoes and carrots, marinated tomatoes and basil, 1/2 sliced cucumber
  • PM Snack: 1/2 grapefruit, boiled eggs
  • Dinner: medium rare steak, sweet potato
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, hot caffeinated and herbal tea, highly diluted unsweetened coffee (brewed and instant)

The PMDD started to ease, and the husband was sweet enough to pick up steaks, which always seem to help (extra iron).  Anxiety kicked in as tomorrow is the first day of school and we didn't really get the teenage boys back on a school night routine beforehand this year.  The husband was certain the boys would manage and it would all be ok.  I'll be building their school day food prep into my future food prep days.  Nothing like having 4 people on three different meal plans.  I overlap as much as possible.

Day 1 - Success! 

Felt Physically - hungry, tired

Felt Mentally - tired

• AM Snack: fruit cup, boiled egg
  • Dinner: Spaghetti sauce, 2 chicken legs, 1/2 sweet potato, pickled cucumbers and onions

Great Job! I like your menu! I'm on day one, today :)

Hang tight! I know you can do this! And you will feel so much better!! I have a client that I coach that has celiac and I asked her yesterday how long it took to clear it up with a clean diet, she said a month! Eeeh seems long but a small price to pay for health right? Keep hanging on (insert cat poster ;)

Day 11 - Relief! The energy is back, the cramping gone, and I didn't let the PMDD derail me from my eating plan or our plan to get the house back in shape.  Maintaining this log is really helping me stay on track, as I would hate to have to report a lack of compliance to the whole 30 world. :) Feeling pretty proud right now. The boys did manage to get up, moving, and off to school just fine, despite their later night than I would have liked and my lack of preparation. I guess the husband was right.  I started some probiotics last night and took them again this morning for a starting boost, and I'm going to focus on less salty meals.  And Oh My Goodness, I can drink up to half strength coffee with no sweet or buffer now! Now to get my laser focus back.

AM Felt Physically - energetic, more slender

AM Felt Mentally - motivated, mind racing

PM Felt Physically - ok

PM Felt Mentally - edgy

• Breakfast: 2 single serve veggie frittatas (I'm out of salsa!!! must make more!)
  • Lunch: chicken thigh, roasted red potatoes and carrots, marinated tomatoes and basil, 1/2 sliced cucumber
  • Dinner: scrambled eggs and veggies, fried potatoes, fruit salad with unsweetened cocoa and cinnamon
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, hot caffeinated and herbal tea, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)

Day 12 - Anxiety is getting the better of me.

AM Felt Physically - ok

AM Felt Mentally - anxious

PM Felt Physically - ok

PM Felt Mentally - anxious

• Breakfast: 2 single serve veggie frittatas
  • Lunch: chicken thigh, roasted red potatoes and carrots, marinated tomatoes and basil, 1/2 sliced cucumber
  • Dinner: medium rare steak, sweet potato chips
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, hot caffeinated and herbal tea, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)

Day 13 - Still struggling with anxiety.  Did some minor house work and tried to relax for part of the day.  I also managed to water and harvest in the garden.  Fall is coming and it's time to put in the fall veggies. I'm looking forward to slightly cooler days and maybe fewer weeds.  Couldn't get focused on meal planning and shopping today, it was just too much with the anxiety.  I see a much simpler meal plan in the coming week.

AM Felt Mentally - anxious but motivated

PM Felt Physically - ok

PM Felt Mentally - anxious, overwhelmed

• Breakfast: 3 egg and vegetable scramble
  • Lunch: avocado tuna salad on 2 quartered tomatoes
  • Dinner: Chipotle salad with tomato salsa, steak, and guacamole
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)

The husband took me out for dinner and a late movie.  I managed to stay on track.  No popcorn or soda, and even dinner was on plan.  The cravings got pretty bad though.

Day 14 - birthday celebration for our 16 year old.  My daughter was nice enough to host at her house and make the cake so I wouldn't be tempted.  The gluten free chocolate cake smelled amazing, and I really could have used a glass of red wine, but I stayed on plan again. I am being rewarded with more energy and feeling and looking slimmer despite what the measuring tape says (no chg per my husband's measuring skills).  Clothes and jewelry are looser.  I swam some laps in the pool and played with the kiddos for a while.  The anxiety is still kicking my butt.  Added an herbal supplement and tried to meditate to help with it.  We'll see what happens.

AM Felt Mentally - anxious and overwhelmed

PM Felt Physically - really good

PM Felt Mentally - more calm (thanks to herbal supplement)

• Lunch: steak, vegetable chips
  • Dinner: grilled country pork rib, fruit salad with unsweetened cocoa
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)

The only food really prepped for the week is meat cooked for lunches.  I guess everything else will be made on the spot, or eaten in its original form.

Day 15 - Half way there!!! Still supplementing for anxiety.  I'm sure there's a good biochemical reason for this reaction, but it's annoying nonetheless.  The husband has been supportive, and wants me to finish this 30 days strong.  I woke up a little groggy, but that passed quickly with a hot meal and some tea.  I could really use sharper mental focus and "tiger blood" today.

AM Felt Physically - groggy then energetic

AM Felt Mentally - anxious

PM Felt Physically - ok

• Breakfast: 3 egg and vegetable scramble with avocado
  • Lunch: grilled country pork rib, broccoli florets, white potato with ghee and black pepper, cherry tomatoes
  • PM Snack: 2 boiled eggs, 1/2 grapefruit
  • Dinner: lamb meatballs (filler is potato and onion), gala apple
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, unsweetened caffeinated and herbal tea, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)

Day 16 - The constant anxiety is discouraging.  My clothes are quite a bit looser now, but the cravings are still hitting hard. I like how my body feels overall, but not liking the mental issues.  I'm taking the daughter and grandson to a big consignment sale later, and considering taking them for coffee or a meal too.  The trick will be keeping it compliant. I'm relying heavily on the anti-anxiety herbs, and they're just taking the edge off.

AM Felt Physically - ok
AM Felt Mentally - anxious, overwhelmed
PM Felt Physically - ok
PM Felt Mentally - over stimulated

• Lunch: grilled country pork rib, broccoli florets, roasted potatoes and carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes
  • Dinner: pulled pork, figs fried in ghee with cinnamon and chopped walnuts
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, unsweetened caffeinated and herbal tea, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed), Americano (black)

As a note, I itched afterward... most likely the walnuts.

Day 17 - So. Much. Anxiety.

AM Felt Physically - ok

PM Felt Physically - tired

•Breakfast: 3 egg and vegetable scramble

•Lunch: grilled country pork rib, French style green beans, baked white potato with ghee, cucumber, cherry tomatoes

•Dinner: pulled pork, spinach, cherry tomatoes, blackberries

•Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, unsweetened caffeinated and herbal tea, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)

Day 18 - Still going. Still fighting the anxiety.

AM Felt Physically - tired, trouble waking up
PM Felt Physically - tired, fighting dozing

• Lunch: grilled country pork rib, spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, 2 rambutans
  • Dinner: pulled pork, lamb meatballs, pickled onion and cucumber, avocado, cherry tomatoes, blackberries
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, unsweetened caffeinated and herbal tea, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)

Day 19 - Anxious but slimmer.  I'm still relying heavily on the anti-anxiety herbs.  It's a struggle to do much before they kick in.  Maybe hormone release from fat going away? Today I'm wearing smaller jeans, had to adjust my watch band to a tighter setting, and co-workers are starting to notice that I'm slimmer.  No sign of food boredom yet, though I do still have cravings.  They vary, but I'm most looking forward to red wine and dark chocolate.

AM Felt Physically - trouble getting up
AM Felt Mentally - anxious, less foggy

• Lunch: grilled country pork rib, French style green beans, white potato with ghee, cucumber, cherry tomatoes
  • PM Snack: 2 boiled eggs, 1/2 grapefruit, 2 rambutans
  • Dinner: hamburger with pickled onions and cucumbers, spicy mustard, vegetable chips
  • Beverages: water, water w/ unsweetened lemon and cranberry juice, unsweetened caffeinated and herbal tea, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)           

Day 20 - Even more intense anxiety.  I didn't accomplish much today.  Even the anti-anxiety herbs barely touched the anxiety.  Still looking for better options.  Meditated for an hour, which seemed to temporarily help.  Spent quite a bit of time cuddling my grandson in the evening which is usually pretty relaxing.

AM Felt Physically - tired

• Lunch:
  • Dinner: Chipotle salad with steak, tomato salsa, and guacamole, pineapple
  • Beverages: water, 1/2 strength unsweetened coffee (brewed)           

Archived