Jenny Brown PostWhole30

Jenny B

Well, here we are Day 31!  Can't believe I made it through the last 30 days, and really proud of myself for sticking to it. I don't think I have stuck to anything that long in awhile!  Had some great NSV and scale victories, so I am feeling motivated.  My brain keeps going back in forth of doing a reintroduction, or screw it for the weekend, and start a Whole30 again on Monday.  There are only a few things I want that I miss.  I want an ice cream cone (seriously hardly ever eat ice cream), pizza, and a taco from Taca Casa!  LOL! That would make me happy! 

So my reintroduction plan:

Saturday:            Dairy (going out for breakfast, so butter/cheese, then probably an ice cream cone later)

Sun/Mon:            Compliant

Tuesday:             Non-Gluten (popcorn, corn, rice)

Wed/Thurs:         Compliant

Friday:                 Legumes (peanut butter, soy - I don't eat peas or beans so I am good there)

Sat/Sun:              Compliant

Monday:              Gluten Grains (pasta, bread, etc.)

Tues/Wed:           Compliant

Well I totally blew my reintroduction plan. I can tell you I feel like complete crap - not emotionally for going off the rails, but physically.  YUCK!  So, I am back to Whole30 complaint for at least 7 days. Then I will do the re-introduction plan.  I made the decision to go off the rails, and it was a bad decision.  Although, I did learn that some of the foods I thought I missed - I really don't.  So I did learn something.

I thought, I can just try some of things I missed and then get back on track. WRONG! If anyone is thinking this don't do it. First, some of things I thought I really missed I did not.  Some tasted bad, some I though well if I eat/drink it again it will taste better. WRONG! So, I did learn that I wanted some gratification from food, and that is not healthy.

I am back to it this morning, and cannot wait till I feel better. I had so much crap this weekend, and I am paying the price.

So my plan is to stay Whole30 complaint for at least 7 days, but thinking till at least next Friday the 14th. Then I will do the introduction plan the way it was intended. I want to reintroduce before my vacation in September.  I sure don't want to eat something on vacation and feel like I do right now. Although, I am pretty sure I feel like crap because I tried to make all those bad food choices into 2 days.  Not smart. Hey - at least I can own it and move on.

So, today's meal plan:

Meal#1: Eggs, bacon, tomatoes, potatoes

Meal#2: Salad with Chicken

Meal#3: Brisket with green beans and probably some roasted potatoes

Live and learn, live and learn... Hold onto how you're feeling. that way next time you think oh hey, I'll just have some of this and that and the other, you won't be as tempted.  Isn't it funny the sway some foods have on us?  I remember thinking that with cheese after my first Whole 30. I had a piece and was like "huh, that doesn't taste as good as I remember".  and then the next day reaching for more thinking "maybe if I have some more it will taste right?"  and doing that over and over again. If you do it enough, your taste buds re-acclimate and sure enough...it'll start to taste just like you remember. It was never satisfying in the same way though.

This whole think really is a learning process though, and every choice you make, whether healthy or less healthy, will teach you something. Isn't that cool? ;)

Yep, jump right back on the wagon! Weekends like that are going to happen occasionally and I think it's what you do after that's super important. I think a week of whole30 is reasonable -- just get those cravings under control and continue on. You will be fine.

Ok, so my mindset is much better today. I got some much needed sleep, and I am prepared with my food!  YIPPEE!!!!

Meal#1: 2 scrambled eggs mixed with onions, potatoes and bacon. Tomatoes and strawberries on the side.

Meal#2: Brisket and a salad

Meal#3: Baked chicken thighs (or grilled) with green beans/garlic, and potatoes.

Well, I am happy to say that my over indulgent weekend didn't set me back too far in how I feel.  Probably 2 days of kind of yucky feeling, slight headache yesterday afternoon and I am constipated.  So, I ate 100% compliant the last two days, and feel pretty good today.  Almost Whole30 like!  Ha! So, I think my 7 days of reset will be just what is needed, and then I will start my reintroduction plan on Monday (the way it is suppose to be done). 

My Meal#3 changed some last night. I decided to bake chicken thighs with onions, carrots and potatoes.  Super easy and delicious!

Meal#1: 2 scrambled eggs, 2 pieces of compliant bacon, strawberries, and potatoes with onions. (totally forgot my tomatoes this morning)

Meal#2: Leftovers from last night, salad, and some watermelon

Meal#3: Pork Carnitas with green beans/garlic.

Last night I ended up having Pork Carnitas with potatoes/peppers. Side of cucumbers and tomatoes.

So, doing pretty good. However, I did snack on some cashews and watermelon yesterday when I got home from work. I am due to start my period, so I am usually hungrier around this time of the month.  I am just going to chalk it up to that.  I have really gotten my snacking under control since doing the Whole30. This was one of my major problems, so if that is the only thing I learn from the Whole30 it is pretty huge (although I learned so much more). 

I am really not having a hard time staying compliant.  Sometimes I want other stuff, but then I think about it and am like, nah.  LOL!  I am excited to start the reintroduction plan as it is intended. 

Monday: Reintroduce Diary: Maybe a small smoothie with my breakfast (yogurt, and some fruit), then some cheese with my salad at lunch, ice cream after work

Tuesday/Wednesday: Compliant

Thursday: Non gluten grain:  Taco salad at lunch with corn chips, rice with dinner.

Friday/Saturday: Compliant

Sunday: Legumes: Peanut butter on some celery at lunch, stir fry with some soy sauce at dinner and some edamame.

Monday/Tuesday: Compliant

Wednesday: Gluten Grains: Sandwich for lunch, pasta for dinner.

Thursday/Friday: Compliant

So, I think that looks pretty good. 

Don't forget to get the gluten free soy sauce. I had to go buy some and then I didn't end up using it because I felt to horrible after the edamame, but I totally forgot soy sauce had wheat in it! If I could gift mine to you I would lol. Plan looks great! You can do it.

Don't forget to get the gluten free soy sauce. I had to go buy some and then I didn't end up using it because I felt to horrible after the edamame, but I totally forgot soy sauce had wheat in it! If I could gift mine to you I would lol. Plan looks great! You can do it.

Hmm, i didn't even think of that.  Maybe the Edamame will do the trick by itself.  Probably don't need both anyway.  I don't really eat a lot of soy, so really I am not that concerned about it. Maybe I will just do the peanuts and peanut butter and just do the soy at some other time when I decide to have it.

Well the weekend is upon me.  I am kind of glad I am waiting until Monday to reintroduce, even though I am not having any lingering effects from my binge last weekend.  At least I will stay compliant so I don't even have to think about it. 

I have to admit I am kind of bored with food right now. I do need to switch it up.  I am going to pull out some recipes this weekend and make some different foods.  Although, I am thinking steak on the grill tonight with some veggies.  Sounds amazing! 

Meal#1: Scrambled eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, and some strawberries.  Yep no veggies this morning.  I am out, and need to go the store.

Meal#2: Leftover pork carnitas, potatoes, watermelon and a salad

Meal#3: Maybe steak/veggies

We went to the movies yesterday, so I ended up having a junior size popcorn and a coke!  I am not going to lie, it was delicious.  No lingering effects, and didn't notice anything at the time either.  So, I guess I tried non gluten grains. LOL!  I will eat compliant today.  I am okay with eating compliant for awhile, so maybe I will just wait. Do kind of a slow roll. Just introduce things as they come up? Or maybe reintroduce tomorrow since all i really had was popcorn.  Who knows!

Meal#1: 2 scrambled eggs, 2 link sausages, strawberries

Meal#2: Leftover steak and a salad.

Meal#3: Chicken and something.

Oh, I also went to the gym on Saturday and Sunday!  WOO HOO!

I have decided I don't do well with decisions concerning my food choices. I have easily fallen back into, "oh I can have that".  So back to Whole30 for awhile.  Need to get some of this under control.

Good for you for recognizing it!

Same thing happened to me after my first Whole 30.   I have to say after a 2nd round I find I'm much better on the decision-making front. I'm not saying it'll continue this way, but for now all signs are good.  Hopefully you will find the same to be true.

Thanks, Jen!  I go on vacation on September 11th, so I am trying to get some good food choices down before we leave.  I know I will not eat 100% compliant while on vacation, but I would like to make better choices for myself.

Thanks, Jen!  I go on vacation on September 11th, so I am trying to get some good food choices down before we leave.  I know I will not eat 100% compliant while on vacation, but I would like to make better choices for myself.

I just wanted to check in to see how you are doing.  Did you get back on Whole 30 successfully?

I just wanted to check in to see how you are doing.  Did you get back on Whole 30 successfully?

Well, I did. Then last Wednesday one of my dogs had a neurological stroke. So, Thursday morning we had to put him down.  Very difficult.  We are total dog people, and he as part of our family for 8 years.  So, the last 4 days or so have not been Whole30.  Just didn't have it in me to cook etc. So, yesterday went to the store and did some prepping.  One day at a time at this point.  Just trying to get my head back in it. 

Oh I'm so sorry!  I am much more bonded to my pets than to most of the people I know so I totally understand where you're coming from  That grief is just as hard as losing a member of your family.  Be kind to yourself. take care.

Oh I'm so sorry!  I am much more bonded to my pets than to most of the people I know so I totally understand where you're coming from  That grief is just as hard as losing a member of your family.  Be kind to yourself. take care.

Thank you Jen!  They are our furbabies!  I will get back on track, it just hasn't been a priority!  Although, now I know I revert right back to what is quick and I can pick up easily.  I think for sure after my vacation I will be doing another full Whole30.  I think I need it to really make it stick.

Well, I did. Then last Wednesday one of my dogs had a neurological stroke. So, Thursday morning we had to put him down. Very difficult. We are total dog people, and he as part of our family for 8 years. So, the last 4 days or so have not been Whole30. Just didn't have it in me to cook etc. So, yesterday went to the store and did some prepping. One day at a time at this point. Just trying to get my head back in it.

Oh my gosh this made me tear up! I lost my 7 yr old lab earlier this year and it was been terrible. I totally understand your pain. Darn fur babies, they're just so lovable. I found the first week or so the worst. Well maybe 2 weeks. It was when I got up in the morning or got home from anywhere, he wouldn't be at the door or waiting for breakfast....or following me everywhere or licking me or annoying me. :( but it does get better I promise.

Oh my gosh this made me tear up! I lost my 7 yr old lab earlier this year and it was been terrible. I totally understand your pain. Darn fur babies, they're just so lovable. I found the first week or so the worst. Well maybe 2 weeks. It was when I got up in the morning or got home from anywhere, he wouldn't be at the door or waiting for breakfast....or following me everywhere or licking me or annoying me. :( but it does get better I promise.

Thank you J9er!  I know eventually it will get better, but right now it does suck!  :(  Thank you all for your support!

Archived