Bloated and not losing weight, what am I doing wrong?

CRI

Hi all -

I'm on Day 22 of my first Whole30, and while I'm generally experiencing some awesome benefits (glowing skin, more energy, new love for vegetables, seasonal allergies improving), I'm still SUPER bloated. I'm not constipated, but my belly is unusually puffy (I am not pregnant or PMS-ing). I also just don't feel like I've lost any weight (though I have not weighed myself, per the rules). I don't have a ton of weight to lose, maybe 10-15 lbs. (I am 5' 10" and about 165 lbs.), and I know that's not the primary goal of the program, but at some point, I'd like to see my body composition improving. 

I've included food/exercise/water info below. Before Whole30 I ate a pretty typical SAD (immediately before my Whole30 I was in Europe, eating copious amounts of pasta, bread, cheese, wine, and gelato...).

YESTERDAY

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with sautéed bell peppers and onions (all cooked in coconut oil)

Snack: Black coffee, vegetable juice (just veggies, no fruit)

M2: Burger patty with caramelized onions, roasted sweet potato, green beans in tomato sauce (sugar-free)

Snack: Banana with coconut butter (since my lunch was fat-light), beef jerky (compliant), grapes, Kombucha

M3: Grilled chicken, green beans in tomato sauce, small cup of melon

Water: ~50 oz.

TODAY

M1: 3 eggs fried with sautéed bell peppers and onions (all cooked in coconut oil); 1/2 peach; handful of olives

Snack: Deli turkey, avocado slices, baby carrots

M2: Salad with grilled chicken, sliced peach, toasted pecans, and balsamic/EVOO vinaigrette

M3: Zoodles with sugar-free tomato sauce and homemade meatballs; roasted carrots

Water: ~60 oz.

EXERCISE: Hiking 2-3x/week for about 90 minutes (this is really just light walking); and some stretching/super light weight lifting (5 lbs or less). I haven't been eating pre/post WO meals, since I assume it's not necessary for activity levels this low.

I know you're not supposed to snack, but I cannot eat more than this in one sitting without making myself ill, so I'm trying to just eat more frequent template meals until my body adjusts.  

So what am I doing wrong? Do I need to just stick with it longer? Am I eating too much (this is definitely more than I ate pre-Whole 30)? Do I need to exercise more? I'm getting super frustrated because I am trying really, really hard here. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

For starters, drink more water: at least 82.5 oz daily (1/2 oz per pound of body weight).

Raw veggies can cause bloat, so you might try switching to all cooked veggies.

I see a lot of onions and tomato sauce. Both can cause bloat, so you could test cutting back and see what happens.

Side note: double check the deli turkey ingredients to ensure compliance.

Archived