On day 3 now- wedding dinner expected on day 28!

meleatsclean

Hi guys! I'm on day 3 now (so far so good, but feeling incredibly cranky today and in an irritable mood- God help the people at home!)

I just learnt that I'll be at a family event for a wedding dinner on Day 28. I'm Asian; so lots of the dishes will be protein/ veg based, but they will be drenched in sauces and some dishes may be deep fried. And there will definitely be dessert!

Any of you guys been in a similar situation? Advice on how to handle it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Mel

Can you possibly request a special meal that meets the Whole30 criteria?  (maybe steamed protein and veggies?)

FWIW, I've lived gluten-free for 9 years and requesting special meals is how I roll when I'm invited to events like these.

Thanks for your suggestion Chris! I'd love to request for another meal, but the twist is.. it's actually a 10 course food tasting session for my own wedding dinner that's happening in Nov  B) Hence I'm thinking my family might not approve entirely of me not trying the actual dishes that will be served during the wedding!

Looks like the only solution out of this is to push it back by another week!

• Moderators

Hmmm.... This is an interesting predicament... You may want to push the tasting out but perhaps for longer than a week. Did you want to complete your re-introductions before agreeing to food at your own wedding that may make you feel less than best?  It's YOUR wedding, which means you shouldn't get to November and be stressed that you can't eat XYZ...

You may need to push the envelope of the standard fare offered at an Asian wedding and get more grilled items than deep fried and more items that have sauces you can manage... I know a lot of the sauces are cornstarch based and soy based so you really should know how these affect you... it's a big day and you want to feel awesome for the whole thing!

Just my two cents...

As someone who has attended numerous Chinese weddings I wouldn't even want to try eating whole30 at one or even try one with my recently worsened food allergies. They are so foodcentric with so many back to back dishes I'm really not sure how I'd cope with one now...

I've no real idea what to suggest but I hope you find a way through it x

Thank you girls for all your suggestions! I spoke to my fiance, and although he was highly bemused (and a little annoyed) at having to change the date, he agreed to do it (: 

I have postponed it to early September (am on the August Whole30 currently) so that'll be just in time for reintroductions.

Chinese weddings traditionally have pre-set menus, so we don't have much leeway to change the dishes around. And @Britishgal, you're right- the dishes have lots of cornstarch/ soy sauce to get the thick Asian sauces that are served with everything. 

Such a challenge sticking to eating clean in Singapore- but I'm glad I started the Whole 30  :D  

Sounds like you have a good plan and a wonderful fiance!  I had to eat out at a pre-prepared menu dinner last night (Day 8) and it wasn't great.  I ended up telling the waiters that I was allergic to dairy which helped a lot.  I also kept kindly saying that I would just have the salad and nothing else.  They did their best to help me out, but I was a bit embarrassed by everything.  That said, my friends who hosted the anniversary party were already raving at all the changes I've experienced so far on my Whole30 (including decreased hot flashes, no night sweats and sleeping through the night - plus my hair is silky smooth and it's August in Houston!!!!), so they were nice about keeping me on track and not making me feel bad.  I knew at a restaurant I could order what I wanted, but at a formal dinner with a set menu it was different.

The benefits of Whole30 are profound, but marrying a man willing to change your wedding date in order to keep you healthy and on track is monumental and just about the best wedding gift a girl could ever ask for.  Remember that gesture if the stress of the wedding starts to take its toll on you, and I hope you have both a great Whole30 and a fabulous wedding celebration!  Good Luck!

Archived