Day 18, and I'm tired of being so tired!

I am on Day 18, and have been following the program religiously.  I check all labels, and I am careful to get the suggested amounts of protein, fat, vegies, etc.  I may be getting just a bit more fruit than I should, but not much.  And I drink lots and lots of water.  My problem is that I am so tired all the time!  Minimal physical activity just flattens me -- I want to go back to bed, though I get more than enough sleep.  I'm waiting for that tiger blood, but frankly, at this point I'd settle for kitten blood.

I realize that I have a lot to overcome, because of my decades of abusing my body.  I am 56 years old and 90 pounds overweight.  I have done many diet programs in the past, and they work well for a while, but eventually the cravings win and I return to my old unhealthy ways of eating.  This is the first program that really seems to have changed my brain when it comes to food!  I don't feel deprived and I don't think about food or my cravings all the time -- this is miraculous for me!  Also, my chronically inflamed muscles have improved dramatically and my psoriasis is gone!  Wow!  But I am Just. So. Tired.

One other factor that may be important:  I have been a caffeine junky all my adult life.  I mean hard-core.  In my twenties, I drank 15-20 cups of coffee a day, but at age 27, I went cold-turkey and was caffeine-free for a few years.  I have not had a drop of coffee since, but I did drift back to Diet Coke, and for the past ten to fifteen years, I have been drinking four to five litres of it a day.  I started weaning off of the Diet Coke a few days before starting the Whole30, to reduce the shock to my system, and since the first week or so, I don't even really crave it any more.  That's another miracle, because I do love it so.  I don't ever want to go back to it, because I can't be moderate.  I'm glad my DC withdrawal went so well, but is it possible that my years of abuse have taken their toll?  Will it get better?

If it's a matter of just staying with it and being patient, I'm okay with that.

First, good for you for trying and sticking to Whole30! You've already enjoyed some great results.

I am only on Day 3 and exhausted, and headache-y, and hoping this dissipates soon! I do have two cups of coffee every morning; I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I gave up sugar/gluten AND caffeine all at once.

I am no expert, but I'd think that if you drank 4 to 5 litres of Diet Coke a DAY, it might take longer than 19 days for your body to adjust to no caffeine AND no sugar (natural/artificial or otherwise).

The caffeine/Diet Coke withdrawal could be part of the culprit.

Are you having a fist sized serving of carb-dense vegetables at least once daily?  Are you drinking at least 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

For us to best help you, post 2-3 days worth of your typical Whole30 food log, including portion sizes, daily water consumption, nightly hours of sleep and any exercise. From there, we can give you more specific feedback on possible tweaks. 

Two more things to add:

First, I felt tired like this before I started the Whole30 too, but I chalked it up to my weight and my lousy diet.  Well, the weight is still there ( most of it anyway), but my diet is so much better, I thought I would be feeling the benefits in my energy level by now.

Also, I'm going on an Alaskan Cruise on the 27th of this month.  I had hoped to complete the gradual reintroductions by then.  Now I'm thinking I should extend my Whole30, but that would be quite a trick on a cruise ship.

GFChris --

The caffeine/Diet Coke withdrawal could be part of the culprit.

Are you having a fist sized serving of carb-dense vegetables at least once daily?  Are you drinking at least 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

For us to best help you, post 2-3 days worth of your typical Whole30 food log, including portion sizes, daily water consumption, nightly hours of sleep and any exercise. From there, we can give you more specific feedback on possible tweaks. 

I'll try to reconstruct that, but unfortunately, I'm not keeping a food log.  For starters, here's what I had yesterday:

Breakfast:  two boiled eggs, an avocado, half a banana

Lunch: a big salad with assorted veggies, chicken (3-4 oz.?), a light sprinkling of slivered almonds, and Whole30 balsamic vinaigrette.  Also an apple.

Supper:  Whole30 Chicken Primavera on a bed of spiralized sweet potato noodles -- portion size was about a third of the recipe, which the book says serves two plus leftovers.  Also, watermelon for dessert.

I am drinking water all day long (like I used to drink Diet Coke), and I'm sure I reach and exceed the recommended minimums.

That is a very typical day.

• Moderators

Extending your Whole30 on a cruise ship would be AWESOME! The whole driving force of the cruise ship chefs is to make you happy! I would be THRILLED to have a whole week where someone's sole purpose was to cater to me. Vegetables, meat and compliant fat... I think you should be able to get meals coordinated to that. For SURE cruise ships cater to people with every allergy known to man, so I'm sure if you want to do it, you would be able to.

Ok, you're not eating enough.

When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

Your breakfast is missing vegetables. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

Salad greens aren't very satiating. Try adding a cooked veggie.  Also, you may want to up the protein: the recommendation is 1-2 palm-sized servings per meal.

What did you have for your fat at dinner?

Watch out trying to have "dessert" on a Whole30.  Have your fruit as part of your meal instead.

GFChris --

I'll try to reconstruct that, but unfortunately, I'm not keeping a food log.  For starters, here's what I had yesterday:

Breakfast:  two boiled eggs, an avocado, half a banana

Lunch: a big salad with assorted veggies, chicken (3-4 oz.?), a light sprinkling of slivered almonds, and Whole30 balsamic vinaigrette.  Also an apple.

Supper:  Whole30 Chicken Primavera on a bed of spiralized sweet potato noodles -- portion size was about a third of the recipe, which the book says serves two plus leftovers.  Also, watermelon for dessert.

I am drinking water all day long (like I used to drink Diet Coke), and I'm sure I reach and exceed the recommended minimums.

That is a very typical day.

I forgot about the sleep.  The night before last, I slept very badly (unusual since I started Whole30 -- but I had a lot on my mind), and only got four hours of sleep.  I had to take a long nap yesterday because of that, and I slept two and a half hours.  Last night, I still got in my usual eight hours.  Frankly, I'd like to go back to bed again now.

As for exercise, I try to walk a mile every day, but lately I have been missing days, because I am so very tired.  Even making a meal is exhausting.  I used to walk a mile or two every day, but shortly before my Whole30, I had to stop because of a hip injury that wouldn't heal.  Because of my non-inflammatory diet, my hip is now so much better, but energy is now the problem.

Ok, you're not eating enough.

When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

Your breakfast is missing vegetables. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

Salad greens aren't very satiating. Try adding a cooked veggie.  Also, you may want to up the protein: the recommendation is 1-2 palm-sized servings per meal.

What did you have for your fat at dinner?

Watch out trying to have "dessert" on a Whole30.  Have your fruit as part of your meal instead.

Well, that's illuminating!  I'm not used to anyone telling me I need to eat more!  And I feel silly to say this, but I thought an avocado WAS a vegetable!

I'll try adding more cooked veggies.  As for the fat at dinner time, I guess I thought the fat used in cooking the dinner was enough.  What should I have added?

Well, that's illuminating!  I'm not used to anyone telling me I need to eat more!  And I feel silly to say this, but I thought an avocado WAS a vegetable!

I'll try adding more cooked veggies.  As for the fat at dinner time, I guess I thought the fat used in cooking the dinner was enough.  What should I have added?

No worries: avocado is a fat.

Frequently much of the cooking fat stays behind in the pan, so you may need to add fat afterward to compensate. Besides avocado, olives/olive tapenade, drizzled olive oil, coconut flakes, nuts, and homemade mayo are among the possible options.

ETA: and get more of those 8 hours nights of sleep, and that will help too.

Extending your Whole30 on a cruise ship would be AWESOME! The whole driving force of the cruise ship chefs is to make you happy! I would be THRILLED to have a whole week where someone's sole purpose was to cater to me. Vegetables, meat and compliant fat... I think you should be able to get meals coordinated to that. For SURE cruise ships cater to people with every allergy known to man, so I'm sure if you want to do it, you would be able to.

Well, I guess I'll try!  The thought of doing this on a cruise as of a month ago would have been horrifying.  All that amazing food, and I'd have to pass up on everything?  It does look a lot different now though, after being on the plan for a few weeks.  I really don't crave all of those sweet treats like I used to, and I know that there are so many wonderful things I CAN eat.  Since I will have completed my Whole30, I think I will carefully re-introduce just a few things that make "eating out" a bit more do-able, but I'll still follow most of the plan, especially eliminating the inflammatory foods.  It will actually be good to be on a leash, because cruises are notorious for packing on the pounds -- the worst thing I want to do after a successful Whole30!  You know, you never really regret not eating something.

No worries: avocado is a fat.

Frequently much of the cooking fat stays behind in the pan, so you may need to add fat afterward to compensate. Besides avocado, olives/olive tapenade, drizzled olive oil, coconut flakes, nuts, and homemade mayo are among the possible options.

ETA: and get more of those 8 hours nights of sleep, and that will help too.

Thanks, Chris!  Any advice on the Diet Coke issue?  Is it just a matter of giving it more time?  My son is afraid I've damaged my adrenal glands and should see a doctor, but he does tend to catastrophize.

First, good for you for trying and sticking to Whole30! You've already enjoyed some great results.

I am only on Day 3 and exhausted, and headache-y, and hoping this dissipates soon! I do have two cups of coffee every morning; I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I gave up sugar/gluten AND caffeine all at once.

I am no expert, but I'd think that if you drank 4 to 5 litres of Diet Coke a DAY, it might take longer than 19 days for your body to adjust to no caffeine AND no sugar (natural/artificial or otherwise).

Thanks, Kara!  As for you, I'm no expert either, but I can tell you that my first week, especially the first few days, was the hardest.  It got so much easier the second week -- and I started noticing changes, which is really motivating!  So hang in there, the headaches and initial fatigue should pass soon.

Thanks, Chris!  Any advice on the Diet Coke issue?  Is it just a matter of giving it more time?  My son is afraid I've damaged my adrenal glands and should see a doctor, but he does tend to catastrophize.

I'm not a physician, but from your description of your past history, I wouldn't expect a complete turnaround in 19 days.  For now, I would suggest giving the program the full 30 days implementing the recommendations above, enjoy your cruise, and if you're still feeling depleted at that time, then make an appointment with a medical professional. 

Archived