Canned tuna

Boo1026

• Moderators

We avoid advising on brands because vendors do mean things like changing ingredients just after we endorse a brand. Or they sell one version in the east and another version in the west - one compliant, one not. Or a vendor sells 6 different packages and only one is compliant. 

I looked at all 30 or so different packages of tuna at my local grocery store one day and found that 2 of them were compliant. That has been my experience in a variety of stores. Keep looking. 

I would check the label to make sure, but most tuna, that I have found, that have the veggie broth use soy in the broth. I stick with either Wild Planet tuna, that I buy at costco that is just tuna and salt, or tuna that is packed in olive oil. But always, always check the label. 

I went to a local big chain grocery store and just stood there picking up each can. I started with the name brand bottom shelf, since that was what I was used to buying, but those ALL had soy in them, even the water packed ones.

But, I did find the store's "healthy" brand had one that was a-ok, and I found a few others that bill themselves as renewable, pole caught, etc, and they were all good too. I even found tuna in olive oil that was ok, which I was pretty excited about. I picked up one of everything that looked good so I can pick one I like.

Definitely just pick up each can and take a look. The ingredients list isn't a lot to go through on these so it won't take much time. The name brands had a few styles they were trying to compete with these others on and they ended up ok as well. I just had to hunt.

I'd venture to say you need a real grocery store, not a convenience store, to get the variety you need in order to find one.

The tuna I use is from Chicken of the Sea - white albacore in water --- with the silver label.  Ingredients are solid white tuna, water, and salt.  There's another white albacore in water with a white and blue label, but that is not compliant as it has vegetable broth with soy.

Here's a picture of what the can looks like (front and back) - click the thumbnail to see a larger image. The label is all silver, although it appears white in the photo as it's reflecting our counter top.  Good stuff!!!

post-70376-0-91795100-1439864661_thumb.j

Archived