Hello Whole30 family!

I'm finally going to start the Whole30 next Monday. I'm waiting mostly because I'm moving this coming weekend and don't anticipate having a ton of time to cook/prepare food over the course of this week. My live-in boyfriend and I are doing it together because we tend to enable each other's sugar monsters (do you want to go get froyo?" "I'll go if you want to.") and want to live a healthy life together.

Because I've got a whole (hah, punny) week before I officially start, I'm trying to make this my "slow start" - eating pretty healthy, but still allowing myself to indulge 1-2x/week when we say goodbye to our various friends and favorite restaurants. Plus, I'm hoping it'll be easier since we won't have to throw away any food and can start this journey in a completely new environment, one free of ghost-of-ben&jerry's past.

I would definitely classify myself as someone who wavers a lot with her diet; I have done sugar cleanses, carb-free months, etc., and always manage to fall back off the wagon pretty hard. I have a weight range of 155-170 lbs that I generally fall under, and I'm at that 170 right now, which is pretty difficult for me to see. I would love to be at 140, since I'm 5'5," but I'm really trying not to make this about weight. Luckily enough I already stay away from the scale, if not for my mental health than more so for the fact that I'm always scared to see the number. I'm someone who really values her mental health and that's why I want to do the Whole30 - I really want to learn how to actually listen to my body and have a healthy relationship with food, not the one I have now where the "I'm bored, what's in the pantry" thought comes into my head way more than it should. I also struggle with positive self image, ie moving between "I should be proud of how I look so I should be able to eat this doughnut because who cares what other people think" and "well eating that doughnut makes you feel awful but it tastes so good so what do I do." 

I'm also a mediocre runner; prior to a week or so ago I was doing 10-15 miles/week. Last week I wanted to take a break from running to try and focus on making healthy choices from a food standpoint. I want to start running again, though, so it'll be interesting to see how running fits into the whole30. 

Besides all of that, I'm starting law school in a few weeks, which is a lot of the reason I want to do the whole30: I want to make sure that through the stresses of studying and reading and exams I can keep a healthy lifestyle and not sink into old, bad habits. I probably should have started this earlier, but I honestly knew nothing about it, and I don't want to wait until further in the semester when I'm shoulders deep in textbooks. :) 

Any words of encouragement are more than welcomed, especially in regards to keeping from snacking and staying satisfied while in school! I'm excited to start this journey and am praying for success!

Hey there, I'm starting on Aug. 18th and have a lot of the same thought-processes as you with regards to waiting. I just barely finished summer semester and am on my break before next semester starts - it's the perfect time to start before I get knee-deep in homework. Waiting to start helps me empty out my cupboards in a more reasonable fashion than just waste everything I purchased.

This time will be so helpful to wrap my mind around the whole diet and get a shopping and prep list together. I definitely need to watch out for all the pesky names sugar likes to goes by. Can't wait to get this sugar-fiend under control! 

I'll be starting 8/16!

My 'WHY' is that I want to know what is causing my migraines. I also want to slay my sugar monster and break my food addiction. That sounds like a lot. I'm hoping it is enough to keep me focused on this. I've got a strong feeling that my medical issues are food related. I want to stay strong for years and years.

I'm busy collecting recipes and planning my grocery list.

I'm worried about the detox headache in the first week. If I can get through that, I can totally handle the rest of it.

Keep in touch! We are stronger together.

Sandy

• Administrators

I'm worried about the detox headache in the first week. If I can get through that, I can totally handle the rest of it.

Since you have a few days to prepare your body, I would recommend upping your water intake now, reducing as much of the non-Whole30 stuff as you can including nearly everything that contains sugar.  That "detox headache" is primarily caused form a massive reduction in carbohydrates/sugar.

Then, when you're in Whole30, keep the water up, nap/rest as you can and include at least one serving of starchy veggie per day...more if you need it....and being someone who suffers from migraines I would suspect you might need it at two meals at least.  

Also make sure you are eating enough (as per the template linked below) because eating too little is a main culprit of stretching out the duration of that headache and messing with mood, emotions and energy. 

And finally remember, the level of suck you experience in your first week is directly proportional to how crazy you go in the days before your Whole30.  :)

Hi all! I will be starting my 3rd W30 8/16. I just completed one in July and did 43 days until 8/10 which was my birthday. I ate cake. :/

I was clearly not ready to "ride my own bike" bc my plan was to eat the cake, enjoy it, move on and go back to being W30 compliant. Sadly, things did not go as planned. I felt fantastic during my W43 and now...not so much. I'm ready to get back to it!

If it's your first W30, good for you! This is the best thing you can do for yourself! You will feel so great that you may just want to eat this way for life. It might take you a few Whole30's to realize eating the way you do now makes you feel bad. I never realized how bloated and bad I felt until I did a Whole30. It makes that much of a difference! You may be thinking I'm a liar during that first 7 days, but stick it out! It's worth it!

Some of my favorite recipes come from Nom Nom Paleo. Michelle Tam is very creative in the kitchen and most everything is W30 friendly just double check your ingredients. Her blog has a recipe index with 100s of recipes. I haven't tried one I didn't like. Also, Pinterest is great but you just need to check the ingredients bc some of them will claim to be whole30 friendly, but are just a recreation of something that's just not (ex: paleo banana bread) (frowny face)! Follow the rules and meal template and you will be amazed at how great you feel!

The moderators on the forums are a great resource too. They've helped me more than a few times. Everyone is different so maybe what works for me doesn't work for you and they help with that. You'll do great!

Archived