Whole30 to Whole60, the journey continues...

Judi

My thoughts after completing the Whole30….

First let me start with a bit of my story, I never had a weight problem and considered myself healthy until several years ago I had a motorcycle accident that left me not able to exercise for quite some time.  Then I went through menopause and gained enough weight that I was not only uncomfortable with how I looked but also with how I felt.  My joints hurt, exercise seemed to increase that joint pain so I started dieting and this led to quite a rollercoaster ride of diet failures and with each failure I began to feel not only physically worse but emotionally worse.  I hated myself.

I tried so many things, low fat, no fat, low carb, no carb, HCG injections and strict low calorie diets.  All of these attempts made me feel like I was a failure and I would never be able to enjoy food.  I was tired, everything hurt, I wasn’t sleeping well, drinking too much and I was flat out hungry.  Before starting the Whole30 my diet consisted of this in general:  Breakfast – a protein shake or protein bar.  Morning snack – cottage cheese with fruit.  Lunch – a salad with chicken and low fat/no fat dressing. Afternoon snack – greek yogurt with fruit.  Dinner – a protein with steamed veggies or a salad and maybe a tiny bit of rice and a glass or three of wine.

The Whole30 is not hard.  The book is so well written, the details in regard to food preparation for the recipes are incredible.  After the first two weeks I started to feel like a chef in the kitchen and I was enjoying not only preparing my meals but eating them!  I was no longer weighing and measuring every bite I was to take and logging it into an app that would tell me whether I ate enough or needed to eat more that day.  I was now beginning to let my own body tell me if it was full or not.  I learned if I was hungry before lunch that I didn’t eat enough fat at breakfast, add a bit more fat and problem solved!

To me, this experience has been one of joy instead of deprivation.  Previously, I was only cooking with chicken broth to sauté and a quick spray of my pans with olive oil to keep my food from sticking.  The thought of cooking with olive oil, coconut oil, ghee or adding avocado to my meal would have made me feel like I was doing something wrong, that I was eating too much fat but now I have no fear, it’s these good fats that make me feel full and satisfied.  They have also contributed to my skin feeling so much softer and glowing.

My sleep has improved (although I’m still not going to bed early enough to get a full 8 hours) I do feel better than before when I wake up.  My clothes are starting to feel a bit looser, my allergies seem to have vanished and best of all, the daily headaches that were part of my life for as long as I can remember are also gone….completely gone!

I’ve completed the Whole30 and am moving on to a Whole60 as I am interested in seeing more positive results and gaining more of the confidence I need to deal with social situations regarding food choices.

I didn’t weigh or measure myself before starting the Whole30 and I haven’t done so since completing it, I don’t need to…I’m no longer the number on the scale or the size on the tag.  I’m more…more healthy, more happy, more energized, more calm, more satisfied.  The journey continues….

Day 31 - Monday 08/12/15

M1- 3 egg omlette with spinach, kale, swiss chard, a bit of shredded sweet potatoes, sauteed green, red, orange, yellow peppers, 1/2 an avacado and cantalope

M2- Seared Chicken breast with leftover Beet, Orange & Avacado salad.  Totally yummy!

M3- Seared Chicken breast, zucchini zoodles with Coconut Curry Sauce & 1/2 of a sweet potato (gotta use up those leftovers!)

Day 32 - Thursday 08/13/15

Slept really good last night, actually felt refreshed this morning!

M1-3 egg omlette with spinach, kale, swiss chard, a bit of shredded sweet potatoes, sauteed green, red, orange, yellow peppers and 10 olives

M2- Turkey burger & a mixed greens salad with tomato, cucumbers, red onions, 1/2 an avacado with Tessamaes ranch dressing

M3- Sweet potato meatloaf, sautéed potatoes and green beans with ghee

Congratulations on finding a way to properly nourish your body! :)  I'm glad to hear that it's worked for you!  I am 15 days in and I agree following this program is not difficult.  It helps because my husband is very supportive and he has even told me that when I finish my 30 days he doesn't mind if we keep eating this way (he just wants the option to eat out with me once and a while again) lol

Shawie,thank you! Yes my husband wants to continue eating this way also and yes, he does miss eating out also but it's not something I want to now or in the near future...the of eating out scares me the most since there's no control over start they're actually using as ingredients, we don't have any healthy choices around here unfortunately like some bigger cities may offer. Good luck with your remaining days, almost there!

Day 33 - Friday 08/14/15

M1- Turkey blueberry muffin

M2- Leftover Sweet Potato Meatloaf with green beans & sautéed red potatoes

M3- Chicken Chowder & watermelonot

The Chicken Chowder was fabulous! Another home run dinner. The Turkey Blueberry Muffin on the other hand was a strike, totally gross . At first I thought it was just because my eyes saw blueberry muffin but my mouth tasted something NOT blueberry muffin but as I tried to eat it I just didn't like it. Unfortunately I had to force it down just to eat as I only had 10 minutes before I had to leave for work. Needless to say they were thrown out tonight and I will make sure to prep some other quick to meals this weekend.

Day 34 - Saturday 08/15/15

M1- Leftover sweet potato meatloaf, green beans & 1/2 an avacodo

M2- Leftover Chicken Chowder

M3- Salmon Cakes with creamy coleslaw and plaintains.

Never had plantains before, pretty good but they reminded me of eating a firm french fry in the shape of a banana slice.  Very yummy!!

Day 35 - Sunday 08/16/15

M1- Perfect Scrambled Eggs, 2 slices of bacon, sauteed peppers and 1/2 an avacodo

M2-  Not good....working out in the yard all day, it was 3:00 before I realized I missed lunch.  Note to self:  Do not do this again

M3- 2 hot dogs (US Wellness), sauerkraut and a cucumber & tomato salad with Tessamaes ranch dressing.

Felt like crap for the rest of the evening, tired and cranky.

Day 36 - Monday 08/17/15

M1- Leftover Salmon Cake with a fried egg and a banana

M2- 1-1/2 hotdogs with sauerkraut and a nectarine

M3- Turkey burger with a large tossed salad (romaine, cucumber, peppers, celery, carrots), 1/2 an avacodo and Tessamaes ranch dressing

Really need to get motivated in regard to some exercise.  My hip and knee joints are feeling a bit better but I just can't pound them like I used to.  Also, I don't have a huge amount of extra time in my schedule... 2 jobs, looking after aging parents, discus tank....but I could probably swing 1/2 an hour everyday.  Just. Need. Motivation.  I'm going to add some dumbell work while I'm filling up my aging barrels after doing a water change on Mon/Wed/Fri, that would at least be a start but I need some sort of cardio that won't hurt or make me hurt more....

Day 37 - Tuesday 08/18/15

Feeling pretty good today, it's nice to be happy for no reason...well, my pants are getting looser and I'm enjoying eating instead of fearing it and my nails are growing like crazy

M1- 2 egg omlette with kale, spinach and swiss chard, 1/2 an avacado and a big handful of blackberries

M2- Leftover turkey burger and romaine lettuce with cucumbers, peppers, carrots and grape tomatoes topped with Tessamaes ranch dressing.

M3- Pork Chop with Spiced Applesauce and asparagus sautéed in ghee

Going to finally try making my own mayo this week, I've been reading rave reviews on the ranch dressing so I have to try this!

Day 37 - Wednesday 08/19/15

Okay,feeling really good again today, not tiger blood good but good, woohoo!

M1- 2 egg omlette with kale, spinach and swiss chard, 1/2 an avacado and a big handful of blackberries

M2- 2 Salmon Cakes with a large salad, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, grape tomatoes & Tessamaes ranch dressing and a banana

M3- Perfect Seared Chicken, zucchini sautéed with ghee and 1/2 of a large sweet potato

Sat in the hot tub after dinner for 20 minutes, geez that felt great. Note to self, relax in the hot tub more often!

Day 38 - Thursday 08/20/15

M1- 2 scrambled eggs with 1 tbs ghee,1/2 sweet potato with a smear of ghee, small pork sausage patty and 1/2 an avacado

M2- Leftover chicken breast,large romaine salad with grape tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers with Tessamaes ranch dressing

M3- Roasted spaghetti squash and tomato sauce with ground turkey

Day 39 - Friday 08/21/15

M1- 2 scrambled eggs with ghee, small pork sausage patty and sautéed butternut squash with ghee and 1/2 an avacado

M2- Leftover spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and ground turkey and 1/2 an avacado

M3- 2 Bratwurst links, sauteed red potatoes with ghee and sauerkraut

Wow, has it been crazy here, can't believe I didn't get a chance to log in over the weekend. Spent quite a bit of time preparing for our Fear the Dead premier party,which went pretty well. It was held outside on our patio with lots of friends, food and liquor. I remained compliant but darn it was the first time making non compliant foods that I was afraid I would accidentally taste while cooking!

Party was great but we had black bears try to get into our chicken coop that afternoon so every time a twig snapped in the woods people would jump a bit

Day 40 - Saturday 08/22/15

M1- 2 egg omlette with kale, spinach and swiss chard, 1/2 an avacado

M2- 2 Bratwurst links, sauteed red potatoes with ghee and sauerkraut

M3- Protein salad with chicken and an extra dollop of mayo

Day 41 - Sunday 08/23/15

M1- 2 egg omlette with coconut milk and 3 slices of bacon, 1/2 avacado

M2- Protein salad with chicken and an extra dollop of mayo

M3- Kaluha Pork, cabbage (made in the Instant Pot,ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS), tons of fresh veggies with compliant ranch dressing and probably too much fresh fruit but that doesn't happen often.

Day 42 - Monday 08/24/15

M1-2 egg omlette with kale, spinach and swiss chard, 1/2 an avacado

M2- Leftover Kaluha pork & cabbage and some left over fruit

M3- Lara Bar

My mom called me at work that my cousin was found dead on the bathroom floor of his home. He was 56 and just retired on Friday. The medical examiner said he was gone approximately 48 hours. Had rush my mom her sisters and was crazy busy there. Didn't have time to eat truthfully just wasn't hungry.

I do have to thank Whole30,if I wasn't on this program the first thing I would have reached for was a drink, then a cigarette followed by most likely fast food. The Lara bar was not the best option, I'll do better

Day 43 - Tuesday 08/25/15

M1- 3 egg omlette with kale, spinach and swiss chard, 1/2 an avacado and sauerkraut

M2- Protein Salad with chicken, grapes and almonds over romaine lettuce and a dollop of mayo

M3- Hammered Turkey with kale, yellow peppers and mushrooms. Delicious!

My thoughts after completing the Whole30….

First let me start with a bit of my story, I never had a weight problem and considered myself healthy until several years ago I had a motorcycle accident that left me not able to exercise for quite some time.  Then I went through menopause and gained enough weight that I was not only uncomfortable with how I looked but also with how I felt.  My joints hurt, exercise seemed to increase that joint pain so I started dieting and this led to quite a rollercoaster ride of diet failures and with each failure I began to feel not only physically worse but emotionally worse.  I hated myself.

I tried so many things, low fat, no fat, low carb, no carb, HCG injections and strict low calorie diets.  All of these attempts made me feel like I was a failure and I would never be able to enjoy food.  I was tired, everything hurt, I wasn’t sleeping well, drinking too much and I was flat out hungry.  Before starting the Whole30 my diet consisted of this in general:  Breakfast – a protein shake or protein bar.  Morning snack – cottage cheese with fruit.  Lunch – a salad with chicken and low fat/no fat dressing. Afternoon snack – greek yogurt with fruit.  Dinner – a protein with steamed veggies or a salad and maybe a tiny bit of rice and a glass or three of wine.

The Whole30 is not hard.  The book is so well written, the details in regard to food preparation for the recipes are incredible.  After the first two weeks I started to feel like a chef in the kitchen and I was enjoying not only preparing my meals but eating them!  I was no longer weighing and measuring every bite I was to take and logging it into an app that would tell me whether I ate enough or needed to eat more that day.  I was now beginning to let my own body tell me if it was full or not.  I learned if I was hungry before lunch that I didn’t eat enough fat at breakfast, add a bit more fat and problem solved!

To me, this experience has been one of joy instead of deprivation.  Previously, I was only cooking with chicken broth to sauté and a quick spray of my pans with olive oil to keep my food from sticking.  The thought of cooking with olive oil, coconut oil, ghee or adding avocado to my meal would have made me feel like I was doing something wrong, that I was eating too much fat but now I have no fear, it’s these good fats that make me feel full and satisfied.  They have also contributed to my skin feeling so much softer and glowing.

My sleep has improved (although I’m still not going to bed early enough to get a full 8 hours) I do feel better than before when I wake up.  My clothes are starting to feel a bit looser, my allergies seem to have vanished and best of all, the daily headaches that were part of my life for as long as I can remember are also gone….completely gone!

I’ve completed the Whole30 and am moving on to a Whole60 as I am interested in seeing more positive results and gaining more of the confidence I need to deal with social situations regarding food choices.

I didn’t weigh or measure myself before starting the Whole30 and I haven’t done so since completing it, I don’t need to…I’m no longer the number on the scale or the size on the tag.  I’m more…more healthy, more happy, more energized, more calm, more satisfied.  The journey continues….

Thank you for the "bit of a story".... Thank you.

My husband and I started August 13 and like you find it not hard to follow.  I even feel I am becoming a chef :D  Tonight I made the grilled steak w/shallot-garlic puree and avocado.  GREAT SUCCESS.

Like you, I am feeling better, my knees don't hurt, and this morning when I was putting my makeup on (I was sick for a week and really didn't look at my face), my skin had a gleam to it.  My husband is doing great.  2 of his diabetic meds were dropped and he is pulling great numbers and he will soon have to buy a new belt.  My skin was so itchy before Whole 30 and not anymore.  Go figure.

It really is a re-education how to relate to food.  And boy are we enjoying it. 

Like you and your hubby, we are going to continue after 30 days.  In fact we found a restaurant near us we frequented before starting and asked them how they prepared steak...and they just grill it and we can get grilled veggies and a plain baked potato.  THey make great grilled veggies.

But I really want to know how you made the sweet potato meatloaf -- Inquiring minds want to know!

Hi NY2LA2MONTREAL! I'miss so happy to hear both and your husband are also not only enjoying the Whole30 but reaping the benefits also! I've never once felt deprived, I do for the time miss having a glass of wine but other than that I'm full and happy.

I've tried to find the recipe for the meatloaf but wasn't having any luck due to being pressed for time but I got it from nomnompaleo.com

I will continue to look for you it's fantastic!

Day 44 - Wednesday 08/26/15

M1- 3 scrambled eggs with coconut milk, 1 sweet potato, sauerkraut and 1/2 an avacado

M2- Leftover Hammered Turkey with kale, mushrooms and yellow bell peppers and a handful of strawberries

M3- Melissa's Chicken Hash

Day 45 - Thursday 08/27/15

It's our 21st wedding anniversary but unfortunately we had to spend the evening at a wake for my cousin.  It was something seeing all his friends (around age 56), most looked very unhealthy...overweight, tired looking, those who were younger when they mentioned their ages I was surprised...they looked older.

M1- 3 scrambled eggs with coconut milk & ghee, a sweet potato with ghee, sauerkraut and 1/2 an avocado

M2- Protein salad with chicken over a bed of romaine lettuce with almonds and grapes a good dollop of mayo, organic baby carrots.

M3- Leftover Melissa's Chicken Hash

Day 46 - Friday 05/28/15

M1- 3 scrambled eggs with coconut milk & ghee, a sweet potato with ghee, sauerkraut and 1/2 an avocado

M2- Protein salad with chicken over a bed of romaine lettuce with almonds and grapes a good dollop of mayo, organic baby carrots.

M3 - Pan seared salmon, steamed broccoli and cauliflower and 1/2 a large sweet potato

Day 47 - Saturday 08/29/15

M1 - 3 egg omelet with spinach, kale & swiss chard, blackberries and 1/2 an avacado

M2 - Protein salad with chicken over a bed of romaine, grapes and macadamia nuts

M3- Pan seared steak, 1/2 a large sweet potato and sauteed brussel sprouts

Day 48 - Sunday 08/30/15

M1- Pan seared salmon and sauteed asparagus

Day 48 - Sunday 08/30/15 (I can't find the edit button)

M2- Turkey burger patty with tomatoes and cucumbers topped with Tessamae's ranch dressing

M3- Perfect Roasted Chicken, green beans and roasted potatoes

Day 40- Monday 09/01/15

M1 - Turkey burger patty, 1 fried egg, sauerkraut and 1/2 an avacado

M2 - Protein salad with romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, red grapes, cashews and a dollop of mayo

M3- Leftover roasted chicken, sweet potato with ghee and steamed broccoli with ghee

Day 41- Tuesday 09/02/15

M1- Turkey burger patty, green beans, sauerkraut and 1/2 an avacado

M2 - Protein salad with romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, red grapes, cashews and a dollop of mayo

M3- Leftover roasted chicken, sweet potato with ghee and green beans with ghee

Archived