Husband and Wife starting today ~ 2nd Whole30 : )

Lorrie555

Greetings!

My Husband and I are starting our 2 Whole30 today. Our first one was close to a year and a half ago.

We both certainly slid farther and farther away from clean eating!

I have been looking forward to this for a while.

Here are my main concerns. (To bad I didn't journal last time so I could see what I did or didn't do)

Coconut - cauliflower - portion size

My husband does not like coconut in any form. I love it but I want to cook for both of us.

So many of the recipes that I want to make call for some form of coconut . 

Any suggestions on a good replacement? 

He loves meat and potatoes but doesn't like cauliflower. He will eat squash but it gets old for him quickly

I know I need to get our portion sizes back to normal for the proteins.  

Side note:

Sugar is my biggest issue. I am planning on not adding it back in. I just don't seem to be able to moderate with sugar. :(

Sugar is not an issue with my Husband. 

I am open for suggestion and comments. 

Thank you,

Lorrie

HELLO LORRIE555

My husband and I started our first WHOLE 30 5 days ago.  He is TYPE 2 diabetic and me....I am like you a sugar addict....but I have to tell you.  I have not craved anything "yet" and that is the operative word "yet".    Neither has my husband.   He used to snack at night and that isn't happening anymore and his meter readings have all been in he normal range.  HOORAY.

As for coconut -  I love coconut but NOT COCONUT OIL.  I will cook with any other fat but NOT that one.  If a recipe calls for coconut like chicken just leave it off of his.

As for Cauliflower:  I chop up into florets and then spritz with olive oil and some seasoning -- bake in the oven at 425 for 15 minute checking after 8 minutes and stirring it around.  It's delish.

The rules say protein portions should be the size of your palm and 3 cups of veggies at each meal.  Fruit should never be eaten along and 2 oz of water for every pound you weigh.   I am still working on the water because I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo full from the food.

I read someone in the forum had a meal...and said she had her sweet potato as dessert (just ate it last off the plate)

I suggest definitely posting a log - it keeps us honest and tracks each success which supports the next and the next....

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND....Let's keep each other posted for support.

As for coconut -  I love coconut but NOT COCONUT OIL.  I will cook with any other fat but NOT that one.  If a recipe calls for coconut like chicken just leave it off of his.

and 2 oz of water for every pound you weigh.   I am still working on the water because I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo full from the food.

Water is 1/2 oz water for every pound of body weight. If you try to drink 2oz/lb you're going to float away!

Try refined coconut oil - it has absolutely no coconut flavor. I swear it. I hate coconut so if I could taste it at all I wouldn't use it.

Lorrie - for your hubs, try a 50/50 mash of potato and cauliflower. Put equal amounts cut up in the same pot with some water and cook until very soft, drain off the water, then mash with some clarified butter and a little stock. Or sometimes I use a little coconut milk for creaminess. Tastes just like mashed potatoes and if you don't' tell him he'll never know it has cauliflower in it.

Archived