Any tips if NOT wanting to loose weight during the Whole30?

loving3boys

Hi, hope I'm in the right board... my husband and I will be starting tomorrow and even though i could use to loose a couple of pounds, he is not. My husband is tall and thin, and can loose weight overnight! Does anyone have any suggestions on what he could snack on while he's at work? What he should have more of, or less of? Anyone with similar issue?

My wife and are finishing week 1 and I have the same question, although it is reversed for us. I could stand to lose a few pounds but my wife does not need to lose any weight. In fact, she has fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and the last 2 years she slowly lost weight, too much in mine and my family's opinion. Part of it has been medicines she takes that suppress her appetite and she was told by her gastroenterologists told her that if her food had eyes, not to eat it. So she has been following a somewhat vegetarian diet for about 2 years.

I have been all the cooking as I am the one that brought up trying the whole30 diet to see if that would help with her condition. Her energy levels were already low due to the fibro and CFS but this first week has been rough for her. She us to calorie count every piece of food that she ate but I asked her not during the whole30.

I have been told that if her energy levels are low to eat more. I am going to fix her bigger portions to see if it helps with her energy. Not sure that answers your question but seems to be the consensus I read. Follow the portion sizing laid out by the whole30 Success Guide but if you feel you need more due to energy level then a little more.

So, that was a long way of saying, "I am curious as to what answers you get." Because I want to make sure that I am not adding to the pain and fatigue that my wife experiences with her fibro.

A lot of people maintain the same body weight but fat burns and gets replaced by muscle. It's amazing what your body does when all its hormones are in check. If she's leaning out too much I'd say bigger portions and more fat. Like some coconut oil or milk in coffee or by the spoonful. Or maybe some extra ghee on her veggies. Homemade mayo is another good fat which you can easily make dips and dressings with

My bf is 6'3" and fights to hold onto weight. Like Johnny said, he has to make sure he eats enough fat and protein (he likes coconut butter), but he also makes sure to eat more carbohydrate than I do—he eats at least a half sweet potato or some squash per day, whether he worked out or not. (If he worked out hard he eats more carbs). Keeping his carbs up (regularly) seems to have really helped him not lose weight.

• Moderators

Big meals of real food is the main answer to the issue of keeping or adding weight, but easy "snacks" to add calories include olives, coconut butter, coconut flakes, or even coconut oil. Back when I was experimenting with fasting, I ate a spoonful of coconut oil when I felt hungry to take the edge off and keep me going. Nutiva coconut oil wasn't half bad. Bananas would be another good snack food.

• 1 month later...

When I did my first Whole30 I was so concerned about this. I even weighed myself after 3 days and had a small little freak-out because I had lost 4 lbs. I got reprimanded for weighing myself by the Whole30 powers that be;) and vowed not to do it again. This was hard because I really worried I would keep loosing.

BUT I did not. When I weighed myself at the conclusion of my Whole30 I weighed what I did on day 3.

I did take to heart the suggestions of upping my fat and aiming for more starchy carbs - for me this was squash and turnips mostly as I cannot have sweet potatoes. It was really cool to see my weight stabilize. I just started another Whole30 today and I'm not nervous about loosing weight (just a little hopeful that I might gain a few pounds...!)

Archived