Pre-workout vs Meal 1

Saree_maree

This has probably been asked before but I couldn't figure out the right search terms.

A short run, less than 10 miles, I can do fasted so I don't have a problem adding an egg or whatever as a pre-workout snack and then having Meal 1 afterwards if I'm doing it first thing in the morning. But for anything 10 or longer I used to like to have a bowl of oatmeal an hour before my run. It always made me feel really good and gave me steady energy. I know carbs are not recommended as part of the pre-workout snack. But is an hour long enough in advance that I could just have a small Meal 1 and include a starchy vegetable, like a sweet potato, and then skip the pre-workout snack? Or should I wake up a little earlier to make it an hour and a half? Or is that whole idea just cheating in some way?

I was thinking a meal one of baked sweet potato, one egg, and coffee one to one and half hours before a long run might work out well for me, with no need to include a pre-workout snack. And then more protein and starchy vegetables right after per the recommendations.

The meal one that you are suggesting (baked sweet potato, egg & coffee) doesn't really match the template and would be more of a mini meal.

I'd probably suggest sticking to that kind of quantity, but switching the veg for a fat and keeping with the recommendation - the logic being that by eating starch you're pretty much signalling to your body to burn carbs because there is plenty more on their way, when really you want to be encouraging your body to burn fat. Then I'd follow your run up with the protein & starchy carbs as recommended to replace muscle glycogen.

That said if you think you can run on a full stomach then you could just get up a little earlier forgo the preWO & eat a full template breakfast & just follow up with a little postWO protein & carb.

So this morning I woke up at 4:30 for a 6:00AM 10 mile run, and ate Meal 1 right away. I had a large-ish baked sweet potato (maybe 1.5 fists), half an avocado, and one egg. And 16oz black coffee. This is a lot more food, calorie-wise, than I am used to eating before a long run, but really not that much more in terms of volume. So I didn't feely overly full although it was sitting a little heavy in my stomach at first, but by 6:00 I felt pretty much good to go. And the run went fine, just took water whereas normally I probably would have had some Gatorade (it was 85 degrees and 100% humidity this morning!). I kept an easy pace.

I realize it is not 100% a template meal, being a little light on protein, but it seemed to work out pretty well. Am I doing myself a disservice?

Honestly I think you would be better off going with the suggestions above. I used to do long Saturday runs while doing Whole30/Paleo and I would generally have a couple of eggs and coffee before my run. I was always trying to get out as soon as possible and get as much sleep as possible. You shouldn't need a whole hour to digest a couple of eggs.

My shorter runs during the week I often would have a full template meal 1 wait an hour and then run. However, I rarely include starchy vegetables as part of meal 1 as I have found my energy/hunger levels are better when I keep them to meal 2 and 3 and post workout meals. Your mileage my vary. 

Right now I teach group fitness classes and I do pretty much the same. If I have a very early class I just have a couple of eggs before. If I teach at a more reasonable time I get up early enough to digest a full meal 1. I just finished off 4 eggs with kale and some bacon. I'll teach in another hour or so and started eating about an hour ago (had to let the bacon bake). 

Hope this helps!

Clearly I am really clinging to my pre-workout carbs! I guess I'll just have to give it a shot without them and see how it goes. I don't have any events coming up for the next couple of months so I guess it's as good a time as any to try out a new strategy. Thank you.

Note that it is completely normal to experience a decrease in performance and some dead leg while you make the adjustment. The body has to learn again to pull from your stored energy when it stops having immediate access to energy in the blood stream. Once your body adjusts though you should see a bump forward. I found I had 2 weeks of not meeting my goals for pace but after that was able to catch up just fine with my plan.

Archived