I miss butter!

HealthyPhD

So Whole30 isn't terribly different from my "normal" lifestyle (that is, when I'm not cheating or "on vacation" or stress eating...) but the one thing that is new for me is butter elimination. I've just had some steamed broccoli with a pat of ghee and it's just NOT the same.  Any ideas of how to spruce up steamed veggies a bit for variety?  

Try clarified butter instead. Make your own. I use these directions and Kerrygold unsalted butter - works for me. 

Besides that, yummy olive oil, walnut oil or macadamia nut oil along with salt and pepper (or other seasonings of choice) would be great on broccoli. Romesco sauce, compliant pesto, chimichurri sauce or other sauces (Lots of sauce options here on theclothesmakethegirl.com).  Guacamole.  

Lots of possibilities.

I doubt there would be much difference in the homemade clarified butter and the ghee I found at the store (Organic Valley). I do prefer roasting, but steaming is faster AND I don't have to turn on my oven (hopefully in a few more weeks that won't be such a big deal but in a Georgia summer you'll do anything to avoid adding heat to the house). I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and either brave the extra heat of the oven or eat the veggies plain. Other options seem to involve additional investment and I am out of money until October. Thanks anyway.  

I sometimes use steamed frozen veg when I'm in a hurry. I dress them up by adding ghee, salt and pepper, and then a spice of my choice. Start with a pinch and work up to your taste. I usually like chili powder, smoked paprika, curry powder, or garlic and onion powders together. Or, instead of the spices, I drizzle the veg with a little compliant balsamic vinegar (YUMMY!).

• Moderators

For now, it'll take a little extra time, but you might take some of the ghee you have, throw it in a heated skillet, and throw in some spices to heat up with it. Garlic or onions are obvious options, but even something like cumin or chili powder, heated with the ghee, may change the flavor enough to be more palatable for you.

Or make a vinaigrette type dressing to drizzle over your cooked vegetables, or even just try olive oil instead of butter or ghee, maybe with some lemon juice if you have some.

Archived