Fruit...assistance needed

ms mcfabulous

I'm on day 6 and not feeling deprived...what I need to know if where fruit falls into play?  I naturally eat about 2 pieces a day, typically an apple, peach or banana.  It's nothing I crave, it's just a good healthy snack between meals and easy to grab.  Plus. my level activity I need three meals and two snacks a day. 

Thoughts appreciated.

I'm on day 6 and not feeling deprived...what I need to know if where fruit falls into play?  I naturally eat about 2 pieces a day, typically an apple, peach or banana.  It's nothing I crave, it's just a good healthy snack between meals and easy to grab.  Plus. my level activity I need three meals and two snacks a day. 

Thoughts appreciated.

This is not strictly true if you build your meals to keep you satiated for 4-5 hours (& many find they can eventually go much longer once fat adapted) as per the recommended meal template.

It may be the case according to your schedule (eg. if your day is particularly long - in which case you could include a snack/mini meal made up of at least two of the food groups - protein, veggies & fat) or if you work out - but in that case you should be including pre & postWO meals, neither of which however include fruit. The recommendation for preWO would be a lean protein & fat (so something like  hard-boiled egg for instance), and for postWO a lean protein & starchy carb (chicken and sweet potato is the favourite here).

Our recommendation is for three meals per day (plus pre & postWO where applicable), the first eaten within an hour of wakening, and all of which keep you satiated for 4-5hrs. Snacking really is discouraged to allow the digestive system time to rest, and to let your body reach that window where it turns to fat for fuel.

Two pieces of fruit per day is fine but it should be eaten with, or as part of a meal - so think berries added to a salad, or pineapple added to a curry etc, and should not be eaten on it's own as a snack as it tends to spike blood sugar & skew hunger signals.

Hope this helps.

Archived