Day 8 and not seeing any changes?

kellbell614

I am on day 8 of my very first whole 30.  It hasn't been awful.  I just haven't noticed any significant changes yet, which I was looking forward to.  I am a highly results motivated person.  

I haven't noticed my clothes fitting better or that I am fully of energy?  I feel the same for the most part (although I must admit I have noticed slightly less hunger).  

Am I doing something wrong, or do I simply need to give it more time?  I feel slightly discouraged and don't want to give up, but I also want to see results.  

First off I'd remind you that this is a 30 day program to which you are only 8days in - many people don't see the magic happen until the final week, many more give up around 10 day because they're probably feeling a little like you right now.

If you could post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, indicating portion sizes, along with sleep/stress/activity levels & any medical conditions you suffer from we can take a look and make sure you are on the right track.

Typically speaking my day goes a bit like this:

I eat breakfast around 8 am.  Usually consisting of: 1 hardboiled egg, 1-2 ounces of prosciutto, and ~1/4 cup of baby carrots.

Lunch is typically around 12 noon and is usually 2 cups of mixed greens, 2 ounces of either tuna or salmon or chicken, ~1/2 cup of baby carrots with guacamole, and 2 tbsp of a compliant tessamaes on my salad.  

Dinner is anywhere from 6 to 7 pm.  It is typically either beef or chicken, a 2 cup salad of mixed greens with tomatoes and cucumbers with 1 tbsp of tessamaes, and some olives.  Occasionally, I will cook some form of potato and eat that with dinner.  Protein at dinner is typically cooked in either olive oil or coconut oil, if it requires oil to be cooked.  

I drink green tea with lemon in the mornings with breakfast. And refill my 24 oz. water bottle between 5 and 6 times a day.  

I don't work out as vigorously as I should, but I have a Fitbit which tracks me anywhere between 10,000 and 13,000 steps a day.

I sleep between 8 and 9 hours a night and I don't feel super stressed.  I do suffer from hypothyroidism, and take medication for it daily.  

I would love to know your thoughts on changes I should potentially make! Thanks!

You're not eating enough.

Eggs when they are your only source of protein in a meal, should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand - which is 3-4 for most people. Many report that remain better satiated if they mix up their protein sources so it might be worth adding some ground beef or some fish to your eggs - your proscuitto is a fat source rather than a protein. You also need more ceg - the recommendation is for 1-3 cups per meal, with 3 being optimum, but effectively you need to be filling your plate with veg at each meal.

Your lunch is also very light on all the macronutrients - 2oz is very little, and 1/2 cup of baby carrots & 2 cups of mixed greens is no where near enough... again 1-3 cups of veg, but with mixed greens you could pretty much double that - I know I do.

Your tea is particularly light on veg - a salad needs to be HUGE to be satiating. Think how much salad leaves reduce down when chewed wilted. Maybe add some cooked veg here to bulk up the meal.

The problem with eating very little is that your body fears there is a famine of sorts & instinctively holds on to fat supplies so as to make it through the period of food shortage. Your metabolism also slows down so as not to burn just so much...

In short, eat more - your body will thank you for it, and then you'll start to see results.

Archived