Getting back under control - a second Whole30

stealthstitcher

So I did my first W30 back in January and it went well. I didn't get any of the super spectacular results some people get, but it went well. I decided that I would "try" to eat "mostly" W30 style afterward.

Well, that worked for a bit but those are pretty vague goals and my old eating habits crept back up on me.

A couple weeks ago I decided to go for a second round of W30 but failed once due to the temptation of cookies and once due to spectacularly poor planning. I think part of my problem this time around is that I wasn't logging my meals anywhere, so if I went off plan nobody knew but me. Hence, returning to the forum to log what I eat.

Day 1

Breakfast - Eggs, Broccoli, Walnuts

Lunch - Meatloaf, Dinosaur Kale (fun stuff, I like it better than the usual kind of kale)

Supper - Tuna salad in cabbage leaves, Apple

So I have a double challenge this time around. Last time I did Whole30, I saved up some money from a side job so that I could buy whatever ingredients I wanted - out of season fruits and vegetables, seasonings, pastured meat ... This time around I am doing it on my normal grocery budget. I want to see how possible and practical it is to do it on a small, firm budget. I already know it will be impossible to afford pasture raised meat. It would take my whole grocery budget for half a week's worth of meat. Organic produce is also somewhat unlikely. And while I know you can get good deals by buying in bulk, you have to have the money up front - you can't spend your whole grocery budget on bulk coconut oil to last you a year because then you'll have nothing to eat for the week.

This week I'm using whatever I already have in the house - chicken, some left-over compliant meatloaf, eggs, cabbage, carrots and a ton of broccoli. (Well, not literally. But one stall at the farmer's market last weekend had large heads of broccoli for a dollar each!) I will be spending not more than $50 a week on groceries. It's not the tiniest budget ever for one person, so I'm sure it's doable. But real food costs a lot more than boxes of mac and cheese and cheap cereal. Let's see if I can keep Whole30 compliant meals that taste good around $7 a day. Challenge!

Oh, also, my ultimate goal is to attempt three consecutive Whole30s - which will take me right up to the end of the year. (I'm not calling it a Whole90 because I do want to check some measurements periodically.)

I did my first and only whole 30 in January as well. I'm considering doing a second one soon, due to a return of daily headaches which had been non-existent during and for several months after my whole30. I've thought for several weeks I needed to do another, but could never muster up the motivation. Headaches 5 days straight might just be the kick in the pants I need! I'll be following your progress and cheering for you!

I did my first and only whole 30 in January as well. I'm considering doing a second one soon, due to a return of daily headaches which had been non-existent during and for several months after my whole30. I've thought for several weeks I needed to do another, but could never muster up the motivation. Headaches 5 days straight might just be the kick in the pants I need! I'll be following your progress and cheering for you!

Thanks! Headaches were one of the reasons I did my first Whole30. I'd had a nasty headache anywhere from 1 to 5 days a week for as long as I could remember, even as a little kid. Everyone seemed to think this was pretty normal; even my pediatrician was like, "Well, some people have headaches, that's life, take children's Tylenol." Whole30 - headaches gone! I can't believe I went back to eating stuff that causes them ... but I did. So I'm back to Whole30 until I really build the habits I need.

We are on a very limited budget too, and we make it work. We buy grassfed beef when we can, but don't sweat it if we can't. We buy our produce from farmer's markets, and Aldi where it's a lot cheaper! We make our own ghee (way cheaper than buying it) and we make paleo mayo! It's a little bit harder on a budget, but it can be done!

And a (sort of) whole90 is awesome! I measured after my first whole30 in my whole100 and it was awful. I didn't lose nearly what I thought and almost quit. I then threw my scale away and kept going. If you don't think the results will make you want to quit, go ahead and weigh if you really want too. For me, though, it almost made me stop.

Day 2

1st meal: Eggs and broccoli (I have this one a lot), walnuts

2nd meal: Chicken, green beans, potato with ghee

3rd meal: Beef and vegetable stew, apple ... forgot to pack a fat with my supper. I tend to forget this part - no problem if I'm at home, I usually remember at some point and grab some olives or nuts or something. But if I forget to pack it with my meal/s away from home, it's too late.

Craving hot chocolate tonight but I think it's as much due to the fact that it's cold and rainy as anything else. 

We are on a very limited budget too, and we make it work. We buy grassfed beef when we can, but don't sweat it if we can't. We buy our produce from farmer's markets, and Aldi where it's a lot cheaper! We make our own ghee (way cheaper than buying it) and we make paleo mayo! It's a little bit harder on a budget, but it can be done!

And a (sort of) whole90 is awesome! I measured after my first whole30 in my whole100 and it was awful. I didn't lose nearly what I thought and almost quit. I then threw my scale away and kept going. If you don't think the results will make you want to quit, go ahead and weigh if you really want too. For me, though, it almost made me stop.

I love making ghee partly because it's delicious and partly because you can casually toss into conversations about recipes and things, "Oh, of course I make my own ghee ..." and sound really superior and fancy. Never mind that it's incredibly easy and anyone can make it. Mayo, on the other hand, I struggle with. I've never had a batch of mayo turn out the right consistency. Usually it's runny but on one occasion I ended up with mayonnaise flavored spackling. And once it simply refused to mayonnaise at all. 

The scale isn't too much of a temptation for me; I'm mostly just curious. I also took a waist measurement, before picture and before picture of my skin to see if it clears up or my dark undereye circles get any better. It can be hard to remember what before looked like without documentation. But if I get up to the point and decide I don't care that much about it, I may skip it. 

Day 3

Meal 1: Overslept spectacularly and didn't eat "breakfast" but rather waited an hour till I felt lunchish. (I know, you're supposed to eat within half an hour of waking up but I was just not hungry.)

Meal 2: Scrambled eggs and roasted broccoli, for a change from steamed. (I love steamed broccoli but seriously, so much broccoli ... I'm going to need to mix it up.)

Meal 3: Chicken, multi vegetable blended soup. Used up some vegetables that were going soft - five tomatoes, a beet, a parsnip and some onions. Made it into a blended soup. It is a gorgeous ruby red color. The taste, however, is spectacularly bland. Not sure what to do with it - I'm not sure hot and spicy would be the way to go, or maybe herbs?  

Day 4

Meal 1: Overslept ... again ... actually, probably just making up the sleep debt from the previous week of working late nights. In theory I would still have three meals, just at different times than normal, but I went to bed at my usual time so I only had two meals again. I don't think it will become a habit though. On a normal day I for sure want my breakfast.

Meal 2: Eggs, roasted cauliflower, tomato beet soup. So I overcompensated in flavoring my soup and added lemon juice, paprika, and too much crushed red pepper. Now it's too heavily seasoned to really be a soup. So I put it back on the stove and cooked it down into spicy tomato beet ketchup. I think it will work better as a dipping sauce than a soup.

Meal 3: Chicken and broccoli, frozen mixed fruit.

Hi, I stumbled on this string and found so many similarities!  Congrats on day #4!

I did a W30 a year ago.  It was a mixed experience.  I fully did it though and loved the experience.  I was so hopeful that it would help with life-long chronic migraines (it didn't. In fact a cycle of endless migraines, a coincidence that has plagued me the year since began at the same time)  I didn't have boundless energy(probably the migraines) nor did I see a miracle transformation in my body.

However, the list of smaller changes I did see was tremendous and really do add up to quite a change overall.  I slept better, my skin looked radiant, I could feel the lack of inflammation in every part of my body, I felt happier, more alive, I never felt hungry, I felt satisfied at meals, food tasted better, my weird aches/pains went away, night sweats? gone, I felt clear headed and sharp in a way I didn't know was missing.  My list could go on and on and on and is all past-tense. 

Post W30 I kept at it pretty hard-core until probably May.  Post W30 for some reason I finally started losing weight, eventually I lost 23 lbs with I swear, not really trying.  I had to buy new clothes as I was down 2 full pant sizes.  Then for some reason in August other things started to sound good (not taste good mind you, just sound good)  It's as if there is a food gremlin in me that was waiting in the shadows to pounce.  And it did.  I haven't unraveled too badly I probably am compliant 2 of 3 meals a day but the snacking is back and that 3rd meal isn't always a great choice. I've gained 5 lbs.  My clothes still fit but they don't feel good, I don't feel good.  it's time.  I miss the 'food freedom' I felt from October - May last year.  Want it back. 

I wish I could say that my headaches were better/worse/different during this time.  No dice.  For this I rely upon Acupuncture (miracle!).  So be it.

I love making mayo - partially because I don't like mayo otherwise.  I too like making and using ghee for the culinary snobbery that comes with, "ghee, oh yes... and yes... ahem we make our own..."

I don't have a start date yet (not likely before next week tho) as there are a few events on the calendar that I know for a fact that I won't make it through without some solid time behind me.  I'll hang out, cheer on your progress and let you know when my W30 games begin.

I'll hang out, cheer on your progress and let you know when my W30 games begin.

Thanks! Let me know when you start and I'll return the favor!

Too bad about your migraines ... but I guess W30 isn't a cure-all. (Be nice if it was, though!) 

It's so easy to slip away from eating well ... which is weird since it makes you feel better; you'd think you'd totally want to stick to it and continue feeling good. 

Day 5

Meal 1: Eggs and broccoli. Still not sick of broccoli but I'm sure it'll happen some time.

Meal 2: Eggs and butternut squash omelet and ... you guessed it ... broccoli.

Meal 3: Chicken salad, potato and ... wait for it ... NOT broccoli! Decided to mix it up with some green beans.

Day 6

Meal 1: Eggs and green beans

Meal 2: Chicken, broccoli and cauliflower

Meal 3: TBD 

I am in a terrible mood today. I woke up mad and have continued to be irked. It's not so much Kill All The Things as Get All The Things Away From Me. Just ugh ... I don't want to have to deal with or mess with anything today. When I woke up I thought, "I don't wanna cook stupid breakfast. I'm just going to get donuts on the way to work." But I didn't. I was protected by a combination of common sense and the fact that my grocery budget for the week is completely gone. They frown on it when you take the donuts but don't pay for them. It's a good thing nobody brought any baked goods in to work today. I'm not sure I'd have the willpower. 

Day 7

Meal 1: Eggs, cauliflower, apple

Meal 2: Chicken, potato, cabbage and carrot slaw

Meal 3: Extra onion-and-garlicy chicken soup. (Trying to avoid a cold that's attempting to develop.)

I didn't have an homemade broth on hand and no chicken bones to make it from, so I bought some broth for my soup. Why, in the name of poultry, does most chicken broth contain sugar? I have never gone to make soup or gravy or anything like that and thought, "You know what this needs? Some sugar!" I did find some broth with only chicken, salt, onion and rosemary. But the options were limited.

Day 8

Meal 1: Butternut squash omelet, broccoli, grapes

Meal 2: Left over chicken soup, grapes

Meal 3: Chicken, potato, coleslaw

Yes, grapes twice in one day. More sugar than is perhaps wise. I have an unproven personal theory that grapes help me get over colds faster; also cold grapes feel really good on a sore throat. I hate having a sore throat. Should probably look around the forum and see if anybody has a sore throat remedy since throat lozenges are out. I don't think there are any completely unsweetened throat lozenges and if there were, they would probably taste nasty.

Okay, I am off to spend a weekend with my parents. For some reason it feels really awkward to bring food to my parents' house - like, "No thanks, Mom, your cooking isn't good enough for me." But as far as SAD eating goes, my parents are quite healthy - Whole grain pasta, low fat cheese, diet bread, they have a vegetable once a day. and they eat "vegetarian" (rice and beans with cheese and sour cream, etc.) a couple times a week. So I'll need to bring my own food in order to have something to eat. It's not like they're unsupportive. And there's no reason they have to change their eating habits just because I am. But it would help if they would stop looking so sad when I don't have dessert. Also Mom is under the impression that if you have more than one egg for breakfast, you will die of cholesterol, so I may get, "Oh, honey!"ed. (I once suggested, when she said she got so hungry between breakfast at 6 am and lunch at 12, that she have two eggs. She was horrified. "Oh, honey! The cholesterol! I'll just have an extra slice of toast." If I tried to go six hours on one egg and 70 calories of diet bread, I'd be hungry too. And probably ready to attack everyone around me.)

Okay, back from the parents' house. Meals were:

Salmon, broccoli and baked potatoes (So impressed! Mom is really making an effort, that is so nice of her!)

Waffles and syrup (or ... maybe not, but that's okay). On the plus side, as I was making a broccoli omelet, my teenage brother wandered in, watched for a while, and said, "Can I have one?" "You ... you want a broccoli omelet?!?" "Yeah." Okay, made little bro a broccoli omelet, which he covered in ketchup and ate with his waffle. Still a win.

Fast food burgers and fries.(Leftover chicken and kale for me.) 

Pizza (Another broccoli omelet. Really should have brought some tuna with me.)

Eggs and toast. (I had a kale omelet this time. Bro was not interested in trying kale.)

So, I'm a little omeleted out (but not much, I really do like omelets, just not three in two days) but I made it through. I think the kale may have been cooked in canola oil, but I think I can treat that much the same as a restaurant meal. 

I realized that when I want to cave in an eat what everyone else is eating, a lot of the time it's not because I want what they're having. Cheap frozen pizza? Not really worth it. And it's not that anyone is pressuring me. It's that if I eat something different, people may notice and make comments - possibly even positive comments - but I hate being noticed and singled out for any reason, good or bad. And if you just have what everyone else is having, no one will pay any attention to you. So it's not so much external pressure that weakens me, but my own internal pressure that I put on myself to go unnoticed. 

The most difficult part of the weekend was probably my parents' post-breakfast habit of sitting around the table with coffee or tea and a bag of chocolates or plate of cookies. We've always done that - once breakfast is over and the table cleared, on weekends, everyone sits around and chats for a bit and eats as many cookies or chocolates as they please. The leisurely chatting over tea and coffee is nice. The temptation to put out your hand and take a few chocolates that are sitting there in front of you, not so much. And since it's a habit, it's easy to do it almost without noticing.

On another topic, I went grocery shopping for the next week. For the last weekish, I've been using up things I already had in the house. I still had oils, olives, apples and onions and garlic. I managed to get almost exactly one week's worth of meats, eggs and vegetables for $51 - one dollar over budget. However, if I'd had to buy oils - or paper products, cleaning supplies, or toiletries (all of which come out of my grocery budget), I would have been way over. I'm not sure how to spend less on food. I didn't get any luxury items - just basic meats and mostly frozen vegetables. So, a list of assorted ideas, good and bad, for ways to cut down on overall expenses. I don't have things like cable, manicures and Starbucks to cut out, so these will mostly be really small shaving off a few cents ideas.

1. Buy even cheaper meats. I'm hesitant to do this one, because it would mean dropping down to the pale, mutant meats from the walmart freezer section. And seriously, when did shank bones with no meat on them get to be $2.50 a pound?

2. Buy cheaper eggs. I could do this one. Eggs are an area where I am picky - don't know why. I can handle the conventional chicken but for some reason the factory farmed eggs bother me. And with the current egg prices, the free range local eggs from the farmer's market are not that expensive.

3. Garden. A little late in the year to start now, but I can plan for next year.

4. Wash clothes less frequently. If I changed the shirt as soon as I got home from work and it didn't have any food on it and I didn't do anything sweaty during the day, it probably doesn't really need washed.

5. Line dry clothes. Problematic with chainsmoking neighbors. I do not want the clean clothes smelling like cigarettes. Also difficult in the winter. But not impossible. Bonus of making clothes last longer.

6. Do housecleaning with cheaper products like vinegar and baking soda.

7. Wash hair with things like baking soda and vinegar. Use less soap when showering - enough soap but not too much.

8. Brush teeth with salt or baking soda. Use salt water instead of mouthwash.

9. Use plastic bags from the groceries instead of buying trash bags. Recycle or compost most of the trash. Compost will also be good for future garden.

10. Bike to work when the weather is acceptable, Problem - no bike. No money to buy bike.

11. Get rid of dogs. (Sorry, not happening.)

12. Find winning lottery ticket on the ground. 

13. Get much better about eating leftovers, or planning to not have too many leftovers. 

Archived