Day 5! Cancer Survivor with PMR and Leg Cramps--Anyone else dealing with these health issues?

IowaSusan

Hi, everybody!

I'm a newbie, reading all I can and looking for others with similar health issues who either are just starting out or who have had some successes already! 

I am also (almost) a 3-year breast cancer survivor with PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) and wicked nightly/early morning leg cramps.  I've done Paleo before, but it was hard to stick with (SWYPOs got me, I think!).

Anyhow, I'm on Day 5 and my joints feel a little better, I think, but the extreme leg cramps are still going--and I'm still a little tired and headachey.  I'm having fun finding recipes and being creative in the kitchen.

If anyone else has any experience with any of the above health issues and Whole30, or if you have favorite recipes, please let me know.  I'm optimistic and looking forward to getting to know other Whole30ers!

Thanks,

Susan

Susan, hi

I am a three-timer w breast ca, now 15 years out from the last time. I did not get PMR, but did have leg cramps now and then, sometimes terrible ones. Strangely, once I started taking Natural Calm before I go to bed, something recommended by Dallas and Melissa, my leg cramps seemed to go away...could be total coincidence.

I am so glad you are following this program. Keep reaching out and jump onto a forum that has some more peeps on it so you get the support you need. You are already taking great steps toward better health.

Hi Susan, I'm so glad you started a CA survivor thread. I'm 3 1/2 years out, and have had so many aches and pains develop I thought I would never feel better. I did not get PMR, or at least I don't think I ever had that, but I will say that after 8 days, I'm seeing dramatic improvements in the way I feel. I'm not nearly as achy as I was, and one thing I've noticed is my reconstruction looks much, much better! to the point I almost look... dare I say...normal. I had a lot of pain in the tissue around my lymph nodes, and that's going away too. I'm also seeing an increase in my shoulder flexibility. I've had frozen shoulder in each shoulder, for the past three years, and now since the start of this program, my left one is thawing to the point I can almost lift my arm straight up. Yea!! They are all small victories, but huge boosts to my self confidence. I feel happier and more in control, which is something I think all of us need after our diagnosis.

Just keep plugging along. I do believe you, too, will feel better and better with each passing day. I'm actually surprised at how quickly my improvements appeared, which has definitely helped let me motivated to stick with things.

• Moderators

I'm not sure about the PMR, but leg cramps can be a sign of either magnesium or potassium deficiency, so unflavored Natural Calm or another magnesium supplement may help, or taking Epsom salt baths, or just looking up what foods are good sources of potassium or magnesium and including plenty of those. Dehydration can also cause leg cramps, so be sure you're drinking plenty of water -- aim for a half ounce per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs aim for at least 60 oz of water.

• Moderators

What is Nature Calm? The reason I ask, is I have to be careful about supplements due to the type of cancer I had. 

Natural Calm is a magnesium supplement, it's just magnesium citrate. Only the original, unflavored version is Whole30 compliant, the flavored ones have stevia. You can read more about it at the company's website

And it really helps me to sleep

Keep in mind that what we all have been though is a pretty darn big frickin trauma to our bodies...even when we seem to be all heals up on the inside, there may still be systems reengineering going on inside.

Best sure to include enough of both REST and MOVEMENTn your program, along with all th w30 guidelines. lay on self care, especially rest and keep positive...

Sleep has been my biggest issue since my BMX...I never sleep more than 4 hours at time. It used to really bug me but now I'm so used to it, I wouldn't knownwahtntondonwith myself if I actually slept thru the night. I had five hours in a row last night, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that it was 6am not 4:30am. I'll look into Nature Calm, thanks for the tip!

• 2 months later...

Is PMR related to the leg cramps?  I am going to the MD tomorrow to ask for ESR and CR-P blood tests for PMR.  I've had wicked leg cramps over past 6 months at night.  My mom had PMR in her 50s (I am 50), so I kind of thought this might be in my future.  I bought a magnesium salt spray and use that on my legs (with coconut oil as carrier) and it seems to help.

I am on Day2 of AIP.  

Thanks... and I wish you health.

Pam

Archived