Eating too Much

Last time I posted a question I was not eating enough, now I think I am eating too much. I feel like I have gained weight, am a bit bloated and retaining fluid. 

My plate is piled high with vegetables, plenty of protein and enough fat. There are times I feel hungry shortly after eating and times I am too full for the next meal. I am wondering if things change day to day and therefore food intake needs are different daily????

The days I experience a lot of hunger are days I haven't included any higher CHO vegetable so the next day I add some for breakfast and lunch usually (kumara and about 1/2 a cup mashed).

I am drinking more water and that is helpful but am up several times in the night so that is unhelpful.

M1: 3 -4 eggs, green beans, yellow beans, kumara   coffee with coconut oil  OR  beef/pork with vegetables and kumara

M2: coleslaw, pear, olives, sardines/salmon/avocado and olive oil

M3: beef/pork/fish: vegetables with ghee

Water 2.5l and ususally one coffee per day, occasionally two and have coconut oil blended in.

Thanks for your help.

• Moderators

It's not unusual for people to experience bloating at some point during their Whole30. You may just be going through that stage right now.

Starchy vegetables definitely help me to feel more full, so it makes sense you felt hungrier on days you didn't include them -- for most people, a fist-sized serving each day is a good place to start, and if you find you're often tired or feel you're not recovering after workouts, or if you feel like your mood is lower than normal (you feel sad or anxious for no particular reason) you might need more than that.

Cabbage for many people causes bloating, especially if you're eating it raw, and since you don't say what other vegetables you're having at supper, keep in mind that it's in the same family as broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts, and all of those can have a similar effect, especially if you're eating a lot of them every day.

It's not unusual for people to experience bloating at some point during their Whole30. You may just be going through that stage right now.

Starchy vegetables definitely help me to feel more full, so it makes sense you felt hungrier on days you didn't include them -- for most people, a fist-sized serving each day is a good place to start, and if you find you're often tired or feel you're not recovering after workouts, or if you feel like your mood is lower than normal (you feel sad or anxious for no particular reason) you might need more than that.

Cabbage for many people causes bloating, especially if you're eating it raw, and since you don't say what other vegetables you're having at supper, keep in mind that it's in the same family as broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts, and all of those can have a similar effect, especially if you're eating a lot of them every day.

Thanks, Shannon

I generally have a mixed vegetable serving every day: carrots, celery, snow peas, capsicum(peppers).  I do have the raw at M2 generally so that may be part of it.

I find I am not constipated but certainly not going to the toilet as much as I used to, that may be contributing as well. I will just keep going and see what happens. I want to start another round of W30 as I intend to lose weight and I have had some medical issues for a few years so it may take longer in any case. I really didn't have to change much to do this programme, I was eating buckwheat for breakfast, more fruit than I have been having now and much smaller portions. It may just be taking longer.  At least I am sleeping much more restoratively and my energy is generally sustained throughout the day. Just want everything all at once I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Archived