HELP! Whole 30 after Lap Band Surgery

Hello!

Today is Day 29 of my first Whole 30 and I am LOVING IT. My husband has enjoyed watching me on The Whole 30 so much that he wants to do one himself. One catch- two years ago he had lap band surgery. He has a terribly difficult time eating. He has to eat very small portions throughout the day, with things that won't "expand" or "overfill" his stomach. Also, he has a really hard time with chicken, greens, and potatoes.

Is there any hope? What would he eat on a Whole 30? How can I cook for him?

Jessica

He has to continue working within those limits.  That was the purpose of the surgery.  WLS (gastric bypass, lapbands, sleeves) have advantages and disadvantages.  I have several relatives who've managed to eat it back with a gastric bypass.  

Is there any hope.  Is he gaining the weight back or struggling with all food?

Okay what is usually recommended for those who have lap band surgeries is this:

Eat smaller sized template meals - so protein, fat and veg.

Make the portions enough so he is full 3 - 4 hours.  So he may have to eat 4 to 5 smaller template meals a day as opposed to 3 template meals.

Okay if he has issues with greens - how is on digesting cooked greens?   There are many other starchy veg options other than potatoes - think sweet potatoes, celery root, beets, carrots, parsnips, winter squashes, etc.

Consuming bone broth might help him heal his digestive issues a little.  Or blended soups.

Thanks Carlaccini! Bone broth is an excellent idea. He is warming up to sweet potatoes. He hates celery and beets. Definitely will try parsnips!

Meadowlily- No! He's done SO WELL. He's lost over 100 pounds and it has changed his life. He goes to the gym 3 times a week and packs his lunches now. I'm just pleased he's really starting to look at food differently, as opposed to just weight loss/gain, and really want to support THAT.

Thanks!

Jessica

Archived