slimming down for rowing

AnnofIreland

Hello there forum,

I've been doing the whole30 for 29 days and I'm loving the changes to performance, strength, speed and overall mood. One benefit I haven't really noticed is the slimming that some do. I have a strong figure with good "firm" legs. I'm by no means skinny but I've been toying with the idea of slimming down to about 125 from my current 140+.

Current Diet:

B: two or three eggs, approved bacon 1 slice (only occasionally) and avocado or grilled zuc

L: B.A.S. with clams and perhaps a chicken drumstick or thigh with skin on (baked with coconut oil)

D: Chicken thigh and drumstick with veg OR 12 oz steak OR lamb meatballs approx 4-6 oz

I do have a total addiction to coconut butter and I may have two or three tablespoons throughout the day. Has anyone had experience with too much coconut butter?

I chose not to eat fruit on most days, the sugars tend to set off a reaction and make me feel ill the next day and I often want to eat too much once I start.

I row two days a week, crossfit 1 day a week, run one day a week, and do yoga once or twice a week. I also have an active job that keeps me on my feet all day, walking.

I'd love any input from all you active, good fooders out there!

Hey Anne,

140+ to 125....that's a pretty big drop. Especially since you are in really good shape already.

I understand your desire to drop weight for competitive reasons. My only word of caution is that, IMO in order for you to drop to 125, there are some health sacrifices you will need to make. If you are doing the whole 30 and feeling great, recovery is great, sleep is solid, etc. then I would say your body is very happy and HEALTHY at 140.

Everyone is different, but there is definitely a balance between health and performance. You can't serve two masters. If performance is your ultimate goal (i.e. 125 weight class for rowing)....then understand that some of amazing health benefits you have experienced on the whole 30 at 140 may be sacrificed.

I'm not saying pursuing performance is wrong or less admirable that pursuing health, or vice versa. Just understand that there is a trade off.

I also noticed that you may not be consuming enough greens! When I competed in figure, I ate tons of greens (spinach, asparagus, celery, romaine) it really helps to cleanse that system and you can eat loads of it without feeling guilty. If you do consume fruit and you are limiting it, I suggest (just from my personal experience) to consume it directly after your workout with a good source of protein. The insulin spike allows for the protein to enter your glycogen stores that have been depleted and "feed the muscle" with the protein. Anywho, good luck!

Thanks Hcross and Megan! I think adding greens is just a great idea anyway in my diet but I after a long amount of thought and contemplation I think my body is just fine here around 140. If a drop happens naturally, that's fine, but I don't see my future on the front of a Wheaties Box **shudder** anytime soon for rowing. I am passionate about the sport but I fear that this drive could take that passion too far.

I think I'm just going to keep my focus on the art, the practice and the fun of rowing. Honestly, thanks for all the input.

• 2 weeks later...

Ann - I'm a former high level lightweight. I've done it the right way and the wrong way, and trust me... always better to do it naturally. But do know, all you need to do is to be comfortably sitting around 132... an easy water up/down will get you under 130. Was really happy to see you're committed to doing it the right way, so many rowers fall into the trap and end up unhappy! Good luck!

cheers

Jaryn

Archived