First Whole30

Sunbird33

Hi.  I'm on Day 3 of my first Whole30.  I promised myself I'd do it in November, after about 6 months of eating Paleo.  I'm retired, so right now I'm focussing on my diet, yoga, decluttering my house, and travel.  I'm hoping for support from the forum as my friends think Paleo is too much meat.  I've been vegetarian in the past but a naturopath told me at the time to avoid grains, sugar, and yeast. I was suffering from chronic fagigue at the time.  I find I feel so much better eating the Paleo way. Less pain from arthritis, clearer head, etc.  I'm doing the Whole30 as a reset to Paleo because I've let a few non-healthy things creep back into my diet. I'm also hoping to lose some weight so trying to avoid higher carb foods like bananas, carrots, and sweet potatoes.

Hi Sunbird, This is also my Day 3. I'm doing it for more or less the same reasons that you are and I'm sure it will help us, I've read some very good reviews. Hope you've bought the recipe book. I had a run up before committing just to familiarise myself and the recipes so far are fabulous. I was thinking of the bananas and sweet potatoes too and I think I need to cut back a little on my intake. 

Good luck, stick with it.

There's a recipe book?!  I've just been searching for recipes like crazy. I'm on Day 5. Never heard of Paleo before starting this. I'm learning all kinds of amazing things I can do with vegetables. I had baked turnip "french fries" last night. Blew my mind.  Always wondered about weird veggies like that and parsnips, etc.  I'm going to try them all now!

Yes, from what I gather the meat portions should be palm sizeish (4 0z) and heavy on the veggies. Can someone tell me where to find the recipe book?  Thank you kindly!

Hi, I've just found cauliflower rice in a microwaveable pouch. Tasted great and saved me a whole lot of time and went very well with the chicken curry. Not saying that I'll never make the cauliflower rice in the Whole30 book though, but for when you haven't got much time - it's great. I'm not sure if this brand distributes to other countries. Really recommend it though.

https://www.caulirice.com/en/product/original-cauli-rice/

Just had a thought - am I allowed to promote brands on here? Sorry if not.

Hi, I've just found cauliflower rice in a microwaveable pouch. Tasted great and saved me a whole lot of time and went very well with the chicken curry. Not saying that I'll never make the cauliflower rice in the Whole30 book though, but for when you haven't got much time - it's great. I'm not sure if this brand distributes to other countries. Really recommend it though.

https://www.caulirice.com/en/product/original-cauli-rice/

Just had a thought - am I allowed to promote brands on here? Sorry if not.

Wow - and available at Tesco & Asda too - result! 

Good luck Donna and Love London. I love London too. I was there in September but live in Canada.

I want to try the cauliflower rice too. I love the zucchini noodles so make them every other week. I'm really enjoying the recipes in the Whole30 book. They are delicious!

I'm on Day 13.  This week I've been eating "The Perfect Burger", chicken thighs, salads, roasted vegetables, and a pork roast with unsweetened apple sauce. I'm liking the roasted vegetables, especially beets and butternut squash.  I made another batch of bone broth.  I like to drink a nice warm cup after my daily  yoga practice.  Since we had snow it's hard to get out for a nice long walk with my dog, so I guess I'd better set up my Gazelle again.

I'm hoping to try some of the meal suggestions in the weekly menu in the Whole30 book this week.  No side effects from this way of eating, except I'm hungry at 4:00 pm.  I drink a cup of tea and wait until 5:00, but then I'm hungry at 9:30.  I think it's the time change.  I'm eating a good lunch, mostly a smaller portion of what I would eat  for a dinner.  I'm putting olive oil on my salads with lemon, so I don't thing it's the lack of fats.

Day 13 also, Sunbird. I have acid reflux and must finish eating by 7 or 7:30 PM (8 PM at the absolute maximum if my schedule has been disrupted and dinner time is delayed). Sometimes I eat as early as 5:30.

One thing I've found for me that absolutely guarantees that I have nothing even approaching hunger in the evening is to eat a portion of sweet potato at dinner. I do this two or three times per week. I just roast slices with a drizzle of olive oil. 

I make sure I have adequate protein AND fat at dinner. The amount of olive oil I might put on a salad is minimal, so added fats I especially enjoy at dinner are avocado or olives (which I adore).

Archived