Haphazard whole30 diary...

Inna

I think I need to keep a bit of a log somewhere and here seems as good a place as any... It will be haphazard as I have a very limited ability to plan and organise and it is working overload with meal planning and preparing. 

It is day 8 for me, black coffee with no sugar is still disgusting (even the fancy ground stuff). Overall I think it is going well, quite proud of myself as have organised a whole week in advance and have more homemade stock in the fridge than I know what to do with, also resisted temptation on Saturday night and had no mulled wine (or any alcohol) that my friends were guzzling down by bucketful and still managed to have good time and stayed up past 12am!...

Issues are cravings, I am starting to dream of cheese. I seriously want to put my face in a pan full of cheesy butter potato mash and motorboat it... and then eat it... I am not hungry, but have a slightly hollow feeling of void somewhere unspecified (probably stomach)... Hopefully I will get over that soon

Hi Inna

The ONLY thing that will stamp out cravings is fat - fat is your friend here and I cannot emphasis that highly enough - ensure you are including enough fat at each meal, remembering that what you use to cook in mostly stays in the pan so feel free to add more... home made mayo works well with all meats, eggs cooked in any way shape or form, and with most veggies too. Compliant bacon is MUCH easier to find in the UK than it is in the states, and olives are another good 'go to' option.

If you use this log to list out the foods/portions you are eating each day you may start to see patterns developing as to how the foods you are eating effect your mood, satiety, and energy levels - it's also helpful if you come up against any problems so you can get better trouble shooting advice.

Good luck!

Thank you Jmcbn! Makes perfect sense! I will post my full week plan during lunch today. I am planning on making mayo tomorrow (going to my mum's as she claims to have done it successfully before!) and have used a whole pack of bacon over the weekend (it was organic!)

If your mum does the old sloooooooooooooooow drizzle method & you're looking to save yourself some time check >this link< out - it's failed me only once and I was able to 'fix' it fairly easily by drizzling the broken mayo into an extra egg yolk.

I use walnut oil from tesco & use about a bottle & a third which works out at about 170mls - the bottles are 125mls IIRC

Ok, so this week's log (I went shopping on Friday, so its Sat to Friday log really): 

Saturday: 

B: Eggs/bacon, fried using olive oil and a fresh tomato

L: Baked potato/chicken/avocado, roasted tomatos with balsamic vinegar and rocket leaves

D: ok, this was unplanned as i got invited to hang out at my friend's house and had no chance to grab anything from home, so i ordered a plain baked potato, plain salad and plain steak kebab.. it was very unsatisfying, but hey ho

Sunday: 

B: Bacon and I cannot recall what else, must have been tomatoes (eggs ran out by then)

L: made a soup from this recipe http://meljoulwan.com/2013/01/02/paleo-sweet-potato-soup/added some chicken at the end, as was making a broth, so had to butcher a chicken, leg was for dinner that day, other leg and a breast for other meals during the week and i had a leftover breast. I replaced cayenne with paprika (i don't like too much heat in my food) and i only had 2 pieces of bacon left by that point. Also, thrown remains of a butternut squash into it. Overall the soup was a success and I have 3 portions of it in the fridge. And I have over a litre of homemade chicken stock (just boiled chicken carcass with an onion, garlic, pepper, salt, carrot and celery... ran out of bay leaves... if its too plain I will add seasoning and spices when I use it)

D: roasted chicken leg in tinfoil with some coconut oil, salt, pepper, a slice of lemon and dill, roasted remains of an aubergine (eggplant else where...) and had it with some rocket and tomato (I like tomatoes... I can eat one on its own, like an apple)

Monday (i.e. Today)

B: I always have a smoothy for breakfast in the week, so this makes breakfasts easy for me as nothing had to change, I always have a banana, spinach, kale, piece of ginger, linseed, water (sometimes spirulina) and then I add in whatever ingredients are around the house, today it was an orange and some mixed frozen berries

L: I baked few potatoes on Sunday, so today I had one with a tomato (surprise!), few bits of chicken (salvaged of a carcass after the stock was made, I m not squeamish when it comes to chicken carcasses...), some dill and I was planning on getting a tuna can, but got anchovies instead as they were in olive oil and ingredients listed anchovies, olive oil and salt and that is it. 

D: going to have a portion of sweet potato soup I made earlier 

Tuesday: 

B: smoothy

L: sweet potato soup 

D: Dinner at my mum's, she is aware of my diet and is cooking these http://thedomesticman.com/2013/09/24/karniyarik-turkish-stuffed-eggplant/minus the jalapenos. She was in Waitrose hunting for organic mince at the weekend... bless! And I am bringing my mayo ingredients (light olive oil, egg, mustard powder and a lemon) and we will make mayo!

Wednesday 

B: smoothy 

L: baked potato with chicken, avocado, tomato and mayo (hopefully!)

D: steak (sirloin) and salad (rocket and another ingredient... yes... tomato) 

Thursday 

B: Smoothy 

L: Sweet potato soup

D: Beef and pumpkin stew from here http://meatified.com/beef-pumpkin-stew/

Friday

B: Smoothy 

L: baked potato with left over mince from the stew

D: home made pork kebabs, marinated with lemon and olive oil, rosemary, salt pepper roasted on skewers with onions, peppers, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms (this is what we normally have on a friday when we are eating in, except that i will not have mine in a pitta bread)

Will have to plan following week on friday, should be easier, but lets see how this week continues....

If your mum does the old sloooooooooooooooow drizzle method & you're looking to save yourself some time check >this link< out - it's failed me only once and I was able to 'fix' it fairly easily by drizzling the broken mayo into an extra egg yolk.

I use walnut oil from tesco & use about a bottle & a third which works out at about 170mls - the bottles are 125mls IIRC

That method looks great! I will update on Wednesday on how it went :) Thank you xx

B: I always have a smoothy for breakfast in the week, so this makes breakfasts easy for me as nothing had to change, I always have a banana, spinach, kale, piece of ginger, linseed, water (sometimes spirulina) and then I add in whatever ingredients are around the house, today it was an orange and some mixed frozen berries

Sorry, but smothies are not a recommended food during the whole30. Here is the scoop:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.ScehA9je.dpuf

Sorry, but smothies are not a recommended food during the whole30. Here is the scoop:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.ScehA9je.dpuf

Damn... well, I cant change it for this week (I have no money left in the budget for the week, but will re-think for next week... who would have thought... What if I do not blend it for this week? That would make it a little more compliant?  

Damn... well, I cant change it for this week (I have no money left in the budget for the week, but will re-think for next week... who would have thought... What if I do not blend it for this week? That would make it a little more compliant?  

Chewing is definitely better than drinking. That said you're still getting a rather large sugar hit there with the three types of fruit thrown in - the recommendation if you choose to eat fruit at all - many don't - is for two fist sized servings per day, with or as part of a meal), and many people report a crash later in the day accompanied with lack of focus, fatigue, faux hunger etc when they start the day out with fruit.

PLUS you're completely missing out on protein & you're probably pretty low on fat - linseed, & seeds/nuts of any description are an inferior fat source and are recommended to be limited to avoid digestive distress...

Is there any way you could switch some of the fruit for a protein and/or fat source? You really will see more benefits if you try to consistently follow the recommended meal template...

Chewing is definitely better than drinking. That said you're still getting a rather large sugar hit there with the three types of fruit thrown in - the recommendation if you choose to eat fruit at all - many don't - is for two fist sized servings per day, with or as part of a meal), and many people report a crash later in the day accompanied with lack of focus, fatigue, faux hunger etc when they start the day out with fruit.

PLUS you're completely missing out on protein & you're probably pretty low on fat - linseed, & seeds/nuts of any description are an inferior fat source and are recommended to be limited to avoid digestive distress...

Is there any way you could switch some of the fruit for a protein and/or fat source? You really will see more benefits if you try to consistently follow the recommended meal template...

Makes sense... I just ate an orange and a banana this morning (about 6.30am), its 10.30 and I am hungry (says nothing, I am always hungry...), but otherwise ok. I will get a pack of eggs today and add that into the mix from tomorrow, might have a banana and an egg in a cup (hard boiled egg mashed in a cup with salt, pepper and mayo), provided my mayo experiment goes well tonight. I will plan something better for next week. Weekends I suppose are ok, since I am on bacon/egg/tomato? 

If you are eating eggs as your only protein, you need to be having as many as you can hold in your hand--like 3 or 4. Add to that 2-3 cups of veggies and some good fat. If you are still hungry after that, ok, have a piece of fruit, but several pieces of fruit, low protein and no veg does not set you up for success.

Did you look at the meal template? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

EDIT: bacon/egg/tomato is fine (as long as the bacon is compliant), but I suspect you need to add some other vegetables to that, unless you are eating several whole tomatoes...

If you are eating eggs as your only protein, you need to be having as many as you can hold in your hand--like 3 or 4. Add to that 2-3 cups of veggies and some good fat. If you are still hungry after that, ok, have a piece of fruit, but several pieces of fruit, low protein and no veg does not set you up for success.

Did you look at the meal template? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

EDIT: bacon/egg/tomato is fine (as long as the bacon is compliant), but I suspect you need to add some other vegetables to that, unless you are eating several whole tomatoes...

That seems like a lot of eggs... I think I can handle 2 early in the morning, any more and I will probably be sick... that is surely counterproductive? (I do have small hands tho :) )... I had one this morning with homemade mayo (oh yeah, I made mayo last night and it worked 1st time... my level of pride and happiness is through the roof... I need to re-evaluate my life... noone should be this happy about mayo!) and a banana. I spent all the remaining dosh on the eggs, so there is nothing I can add to that until Saturday, feel pretty good and satisfied now tho. Although my mother gave  me an avocado last night, I will add that to my breakfast tomorrow and Friday. Thank you for the meal template link!

I think I might get a broccoli to add to weekend breakfast... Not sure... I will keep updating 

I think I might get a broccoli to add to weekend breakfast... Not sure... I will keep updating 

Do THIS!! If you don't think you can stomach so many eggs, feel free to add another protein. 2 eggs + a compliant sausage patty or two would be perfect (along with lots of vegetables)

Do THIS!! If you don't think you can stomach so many eggs, feel free to add another protein. 2 eggs + a compliant sausage patty or two would be perfect (along with lots of vegetables)

I added mince this morning on top of an egg and half a large avocado and homemade mayo. Mince was from last night's stew, so had veggies in it, overall was very delicious... I could get used to this! :D

Archived