day 8 no appetite

katie_g

So I went from ravenous hunger to now I am having a hard time eating. I managed three eggs. Then I had a salad eith olive oil and 6ozs of steak 6 hours ago. I just cant make myself eat. Yesterday I went 24 hours without eating. Wine sounds fantastic, but not food. Any thoughts?

• Moderators

You really do need to eat, even though you don't feel like it. Three meals based on at least the minimum outlined in the meal template would be the bare minimum a person should eat daily to continue to function, and the more active you are the more you'd need. 

If this is food boredom, you may need to seek out some new foods or recipes to try. It could be as easy as trying a new vegetable you've never had, or even fixing a vegetable you love a new way, maybe with a new seasoning mix or something. On the other hand, if you've been eating a lot of new and different things, it might be that you're craving something familiar, so think about what that might be and try to find a Whole30 way to satisfy that. For me, when nothing else sounds appealing, I'll treat myself to a steak with some roasted sweet potato chunks with mayo for dipping, and some salad. 

You really do need to eat, though. Try to eat breakfast within an hour of waking, if you're not already, and then every 4-5 hours after that (set a timer if you need to), eat something. I'd recommend actually plating up a full meal, even if you don't think you're that hungry. Eat as much as you comfortably can, and if there's some left, wrap it up and set it aside, so if you find yourself hungry a little later, you can just go back and finish it.

Unfortunately, when you think you're not hungry like this, and you don't eat, instead of getting more hungry as you'd think you would, you may find that you just continue to not be hungry, and the only way to get past this is really to eat. 

I am pretty sure the food aversion thing is a symptom of hormones readjusting and settling. It's actually pretty common.

On a separate note I am all too familiar with the not eating thing.

I have been suffering from pretty severe migraines for 10+ years.  Along with migraines is usually nausea, light and sound sensitivity, and a severe aversion to eating.  I have actually been known not to eat for 3 days because of the aversion to food. The migraines itself are menstrual related and will last between 3 and 5 days.

Since doing my first whole 30 (3 years ago) - even when I have a migraine - I force myself to eat.  There is no way for me to feel better unless I do.  Now the things I eat are super boring - but they digest well.  

Start with some bone broth - if this is not possible - drink some peppermint or ginger tea.

During this time my protein is usually scrambled eggs - scrambled eggs are more easily digestible than boiled eggs.  For some reason boiled eggs are just harder on the system.  My veg is usually sweet potato.

There will be times that I will take 2 bites of something and then I am done. Nausea overwhelms me and I just have to stop.  But I will always pack the food away to maybe take 2 more bites later.  But it is really important for you to eat.  It will help your hormones regulate. You just have to ready and willing to work through this.  I know it's crummy - but you will feel better later - maybe not now - but later you will.

Archived