Whole30 log. I can do this!

Heatherina

I posted the first two days in my intro thread in the "Joining" forum, but realized I should keep my log here. So, here we go! This is my Day 3 of my first Whole30; I'll update with my food choices tomorrow. I feel motivated and am still excited for the rest of the journey. I cannot BELIEVE how much water my body is craving - that's the main new thing I'm noticing. Also, I'm so glad I subscribed to the Whole30 Daily emails - reading them first thing as I wake up has so far put me in a good mindset to handle the rest of the day.

Day 1: my appetite was way off because I was getting over a bad cold and didn't eat much all day. These food amounts will not be typical but I had scrambled eggs and spinach for breakfast. For lunch I mashed up a sweet potato - again, low appetite. For dinner I was finally feeling hungry again so I had some ground chicken that I made into patties seasoned with salt and pepper and a little chile powder. On the side I roasted some sweet potatoes and broccoli.

Day 2: I was feeling better, yay! For breakfast I had two hard-boiled eggs and some local turkey sausage. For lunch, I fried a chopped sweet potato in coconut oil, topped it with some homemade salsa and a sunny-side up egg, and half an avocado. I had some almonds for a snack and for dinner I made chicken (seasoned with garlic and red chile) with sauteed spinach and caramelized onions.

Thanks so much, Carie, Quinn, S-Bunny, and Derval! :D Still feeling good today after breakfast and lunch, but OMG SO MUCH WATER!! I usually drink a lot of water but right now I'm craving even more. I'm also craving a Coke Zero. Giving into the water cravings but not the Coke. ;)

Thanks so much for your encouragement, MichB and Quinn!

So today went pretty well - I definitely felt tired and foggy-headed in the afternoon (which is normally when I'd be looking for a Coke Zero) but focusing on keeping hydrated really helped.

Day 3 meals:

Breakfast: two hard-boiled eggs, a banana, and a small handful of almonds.

Lunch: Chicken breast, chopped sweet potatoes roasted with a bit of coconut oil, and baby carrots (the chicken breasts and sweet potatoes were leftovers from yesterday's meals), followed by some strawberries.

My lunch leftover portions were not really big enough to keep me going till dinner and I had an afternoon snack of a slice of roast turkey breast (no sugar, additives, etc. - I buy that even when not following a plan), a couple more baby carrots, and a few more almonds.

About to fix for dinner: Grass-fed beef sliders: sautéing 1/2 an onion and garlic in a little olive oil, then adding to the beef with salt, pepper, cumin, red chile, and paprika, making into mini-burgers, and frying. Will serve with a salad of baby spinach, red bell pepper, and cucumber, and top with my homemade guacamole, which is excellent if I do say so myself. ;) On that note, I'm getting hungry - time to cook!

Beginning of Day 4. I went to bed last night thinking Oh, I've read about the emotional toughness on Day 4! But that won't happen to me, ooooh no, I'm a positive, upbeat person!

Um, ha. Woke up this morning to the smell of cigarette smoke coming in through my bedroom window - evidently my neighbor smokes out side in his yard every morning but I've never smelled it before? wtf. The smell is still in my nose and I started off the day irritated. Now evidently everything I am saying sounds cranky. Blech.

Hang in there Heatherina. I found day 4-6 a bit tough. Make sure you are actually getting enough food. I know that may sound strange. And, reward yourslf for the small things. Look at the benefits you are already getting. If your clothes are looser, or you just feel more healthy, those are things to make you realize that these tough days are worth going through. I had a bad day 5 over last weekend, and when my son asked his Mom for organic milk and organic meats, I thought to myself that this is worth it :-)

Thanks Quinn! The thing I am totally looking forward to today is the great food I have planned. It really helps to have this forum and the Whole30 Daily emails so I have a guideline for knowing what to expect emotionally; so interesting how much emotion is connected to food. I've had cravings for things (Coke Zero, a gin and tonic, chocolate) but they are pretty fleeting so far! And yes I know it will be worth it! My skin had a breakout today (annoying, and unusual for me) but I'm confident that it will be better at the end of the month. That's really cute about your son asking for organics. :) Setting a great example!

Most welcome Heatherina. You have a great attitude, and that will see you through this. I had bizarre and funny cravings myself. Last weekend I was dying for a taco (I love mex food) and a protein shake (I used to live on those). I made a blended berry and coconut milk drink with some applesauce, and it helped. Sorry about your skin. I am sure that will clear up. I think you will be amazed at what the next 5 days hold....I saw big changes by day 7. And, you have a hand up over me with the emails. I did not subscribe...LOL I put my money to a challenge I just entered though, should be good. I am on day 11 of this challenge, and day 4 of this one: www.wholelifechallenge.com :) Have a most excellent day!

Day 4

Note - I'm definitely checking ingredients and sourcing meats and other foods well so for the sake of brevity from here on out I won't put in the local/compliant/no sugar, etc. notes with my foods here with my log. I'm paying attention, though, and taking this seriously, so just know that when I post about sausages, they're well-sourced and compliant, eggs are local, etc.

Today's mood:

TIRED. Definitely feeling some unusual fatigue, but in the grand scheme, it's no big deal. Focusing on hydrating and eating delicious things. Kinda irritated about my breakout since those are really rare for me but I have faith that it'll pass.

Today's meals:

Breakfast: Small amount of turkey & green chile sausage & an egg scramble (two eggs, baby spinach, and tomatoes) topped with guacamole (I made enough last night to have extra). Black coffee.

Lunch: Roast turkey breast with guacamole, carrots, strawberries, and almonds. That was probably more fat than I needed, what with the guacamole and almonds, but it was delicious and kept me satisfied till dinnertime!

Dinner: Sausage, served with with beets and parsnips roasted in coconut oil, and beet greens sautéed with garlic and olive oil. YUM.

Starting Day 5! My Whole30 Daily today said to jump onto the forums here and share one thing that is significantly better now than it was just 5 short days ago. I'm going to be shallow and focus on a physical thing - my face is visibly less puffy. I honestly didn't think of myself as even having a puffy face, but there is a difference already that I can only assume correlates with my Whole30 participation. :) I'll take it!

Feeling GREAT this morning and ready for the day ahead! Have a wonderful day on your Whole30, everyone!

Day 5 Meals!

Breakfast: two eggs with garlic and chives all scrambled in ghee, leftover beets and parsnips from last night (they were roasted with a little coconut oil, really tasty), a few almonds. Beets and parsnips are not normally a morning food for me, or something I'd think of to eat with eggs, but it worked!

Lunch: Repeat of yesterday because it was tasty, satisfying, and fast: roast turkey breast with guacamole, carrots, strawberries, and almonds. Once again, nicely filling. Didn't have any snacks.

Dinner: normally Friday night would be take-out night, pizza or enchiladas or something. Mostly this is for the convenience factor. (I mean, the deliciousness factor too, but by Friday night I'm ready to take it easy in the kitchen!) Tonight we're having chicken thighs sautéed with olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and mustard. A great big portion of brussels sprouts roasted with olive oil on the side, topped with slivered almonds.

Busy day today, and I feel good! Ready for the weekend. Happy Friday night everyone!

Nice job Heatherina! Your dinner sounds amazing! I am glad to see you are in a good grove. I am on day 12...seems easy now. You too will say that soon I bet :) Have a great Friday night! BTW, my wife is asking the same thing...why no normal go out for Friday dinner? LOL

Cheers,

-Quinn

Thanks Quinn!

I did need to switch my dinner up a bit last night (I cooked it right after I posted my meals). When I went to make the olive oil/balsamic/mustard glaze I looked at the ingredients on everything, and wheat flour was ingredient #2 in the mustard. What the eff? Never in a million years would I have guessed that. It's my favorite mustard from a small local company but I guess it's out of the picture this month!

Instead, with the chicken, I cooked it in olive oil and lemon juice and then tossed some fresh dill at the end. Also, I ended up roasting sweet potato in addition to the Brussels sprouts because once I got the sprouts on the pan I realized the portion wasn't big enough for both me and my husband.

Ok, happy weekend everyone! Woke up before 7 am feeling good. Busy day ahead. Hope it's good for all of you!

Morning of Day 7!

First things first: I FEEL SO GREAT! I haven't had a hard time sticking with the plan so far, even with my cravings for a Coke Zero on the first couple days. It has just felt right. This morning my husband told me my face was looking thinner, which felt nice! I mentioned on Day 5 that I thought my face was less puffy (even though I didn't really think I had a puffy face!) so it was nice to get confirmation. My breakouts from earlier this week cleared up quickly and my skin is looking good. I fit into a pair of jeans I haven't been able to button in a long time. It seems crazy to me to see all these changes in just a week! But I'm very grateful.

My Day 6 meals (yesterday) were:

Breakfast: frittata/breakfast bake with eggs, onions, garlic, asparagus, red bell pepper, spinach, tomatoes (grape & sun-dried), olives, fresh basil, prosciutto. black coffee.

Lunch: another portion of the breakfast bake, strawberries

Dinner: chicken thighs (coated w/ coconut oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, chile powder, then roasted), salad w/ spinach, bell pepper, cucumber, olives, tomatoes, avocados, almonds

Water all day.

Another very busy day ahead! I stocked up on yummy meats and vegetables yesterday and planned my meals for the week. I'm going to want an avocado tree before the 30 days are up.

Have a GREAT day everyone!

Day 7 (Sunday) meals:

Breakfast: Eggs scrambled with spinach, tomatoes, and olive oil, pork & turkey green chile sausage, black coffee

Lunch: roasted turkey breast, avocado, carrots, almonds, banana

Dinner: andouille sausage roasted with onions and apples tossed in coconut oil, served over a wam slaw - purple cabbage sautéed with coconut oil, salt, pepper, and cider vinegar

Water all day.

Aaaaaaand that's it! My first week on the Whole30, finished! I'm so, so happy I took the plunge. Hope everyone is doing well, and ready for a wonderful week ahead!

Awesome Heatherina! I love your attitude, and so glad that the energy is kicking in. Your food is amazing. Lots of variety. Very good! So glad you are feeling better and that things are rolling ahead.

Where are you getting all of your recipees?

Thanks Quinn! I'm not really using recipes - I just love to cook and the meal building template is making my choices kind of easy. A lot of the things I've cooked are things I cook when I'm not on the Whole30. Sometimes I have to mod them a little (no butter, no cheese, obviously no glass of wine or tortilla chips alongside it while I'm eating it) but that has been easy.

Day 8 was good! So, I haven't slept through the night in a couple of weeks because my dog (who I adore) has been up. I feel remarkably good considering, but this morning was the first morning it caught up with me. I'll be fine - glad I'm not dealing with sugar crashes and stuff in addition to the lack of sleep. On a positive note, my skin is looking great now.

Day 8 (yesterday) meals:

Breakfast: carne adovada, eggs & spinach scrambled in olive oil

Lunch: leftover chicken thighs from the other night (cooked with coconut oil, cumin, paprika, chile powder), spinach/bell pepper/cucumber salad, macadamia nuts, banana

Dinner: turkey sliders, asparagus, roast sweet potatoes

Archived