Couple questions - potatoes and almond flour

beccabee

I'm only on day 3 but I've been eating quite a bit of sweet potatoes (partially because I cooked/prepped a bunch on Sunday night) and now I am worried I've been eating too many. I add other veggies so they aren't the only one on my plate, but I think i've had some form of a sweet potato for about 2/3rd of my meals. I know the diet is about feeling good but I am also someone that needs to lose weight so I'm wondering if maybe I should cut back?

Also, almond flour - I was thinking of making these salmon cakes but not sure if they are compliant because of the almond flour -- can someone advise?

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/

For the sweet potatoes - is there any way you're feeling that makes you worried about the amount? You're right that it is good to get a variety of vegetables, but I routinely prep once on the weekend and eat the same thing all week, so I view that more as an "on-average" kind of thing. If this week is heavy on the sweet potatoes, try a menu next week with some different vegetables and see what happens. No reason to stress already!

The salmon cakes are definitely Whole30 approved - Mel is really great about noting things that are and aren't Whole30-compliant on her web site and in her books (and she's a pretty trustworthy source). For future reference, there's a note there with the serving sizes and prep time. They are also delicious. :) Almond flour as a substitute in baked goods is a no-go, but as a binder in small amounts it's fine. Same with coconut flour.

Thanks! No I actually feel super full and satisfied after every meal and after I upped my protein the second day I was staying full the entire time. I guess sweet potatoes feel like a cheat food even if they aren't and don't want to rely on them too much as a crutch but I really love them in the morning with eggs.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived