Melatonin spray

AngieCO39

I am 50 and going to start WHOLE30 on Saturday.  I have had trouble sleeping and other perimenopause symptoms including inability to sleep at night.  Started using Melatonin spray about two months ago and got the best sleep.  I see it has some non-compliant ingredients.  I use two sprays under the tongue (up to 5 is recommended).  Is this something I can continue at this point as it's such a small amount?

Would recommend that you discontinue (again, consult with your primary health care provider) - you might be surprised at how much your sleep quality will improve during the Whole30 and you might never need the spray again!

Generally supplements and medications that are NOT prescription and have non-compliant ingredients are OUT for the program.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Just to make you aware that pro-longed use of melatonion actually inhibits the bodies ability to produce melatonin itself so it's probably best that you discontinue the spray for your own long term good anyways - Whole30 or not.

In it's place we would recommend a compliant magnesium supplement which will help with sleep (and also constipation if you happen to be prone to it). I'm not sure where you are but there is one called Natural Calm that is recommended in ISWF & is very popular around these parts with the US based folk. I'm in the UK so I get straight up Magnesium Citrate - it's inexpensive & very easily absorbed. Magnesium taurate is good for people with cardiovascular issues, and magnesium malate is good for people suffering from fatigue. Glycinate, chloride & carbonate are also good options  with decent rates of absorbancy. Stay away however from oxide, sulphate (unless for use in bathing), glutamate & aspartate.

The vast majority of us are magnesium deficient anyways due to modern farming techniques depleting the magnesium from our soil so it certainly won't do you any harm.

Best of luck with your Whole30  :) 

Archived