Michele's Whole 30 Log - Round 2

Michele West

Day 1! Happy 2016!

I'm ready to get started!

I finished my first complete W30 on 11/2/15 (I made two previous attempts; one in 2013 and one in 2014; I gave up around day 20 both times). I miss the amazing benefits that I felt after finally completing the 30 days last year. My plan is to push this past 30 days as I feel I need it mentally, to kick my emotional response to food. I would like to see the scale move a bit more this go around, so I plan on being a little more carb conscious and add exercise into my daily routine.

Meals are:

M1 - sweet potato, bell pepper, onion, chicken sausage hash topped with one fried egg & a handful of blueberries 

coffee with coconut milk

Post WO - 3 slices of pork tenderloin

M2 - tuna with mayo, pickles, red onion & celery on a bed of fresh spinach, english cucumber, chopped tomato & more celery tossed with EVOO and red wine vinegar

M3 - crock pot chicken, roast brussels sprouts & green beans

Day 2! 

Yesterday went well, although I wasn't a fan of the crock pot chicken. It was dry and I felt that there was a lot of waste. I did save the bones for chicken stock which I may throw together this evening to let it simmer overnight. For some reason I don't feel as motivated this go around. I'm wondering if it's because I'm holding on to the hope of a large weight loss come day 31 and I know that I didn't lose a lot last time. I do know that I need to get over my sugar/wine cravings and by day 31 last time they were long gone. Maybe I just need to focus on that along with the other NSV's that I had?!?!

Meals are:

M1 - sweet potato, bell pepper, onion, chicken sausage hash topped with one fried egg & coffee with coconut milk

Post WO - 3 slices of pork tenderloin & brussels sprouts

M2 - chicken with mayo, celery, & red onion on a bed of fresh spinach with green apple, pecans & tossed in evoo/red wine vinegar

M3 - crock turkey chili topped with mayo/lime juice & a green salad

Hello Day 3! 

I'm feeling pretty good albeit a bit tired. That could be from several other reasons that have nothing to do with W30: I'm back to getting up at 5:30 to get my daughter out of the door for school and I've managed to get to the gym the past 3 days in a row! It feels like a small miracle. I went to Spin this morning and it felt wonderful to be back. I'm contemplating joining a weight loss challenge that my gym is starting on 1/16.....I talked with them today and just said that I don't want to know what I weigh! I think it would help motivate me to continue to workout. It's a great stress relief and once I'm back into a routine it really is my happy place.

Meals are:

M1 - sweet potato, bell pepper, onion, chicken sausage hash topped with one fried egg & coffee with coconut milk

Post WO - LaraBar (i know this is not the best choice, but I went to run errands after the gym and I was hungry!)

M2 - crock pot turkey chili over zucchini noodles topped with guacamole

M3 - i'm not sure quite yet...i have some leftovers to eat up

Looks like you're doing great so far!  I know, that dang Larabar post-workout...sometimes I do that too when I have it available after a workout and need to run some errands before I head home.  I keep telling myself planning and preparation are key!

Thank you Alison! I agree that without planning/prep it's almost impossible to complete this effectively. 

I'm going to check out your forum about kicking sugar! Is That Sugar Film on Netflix?

I'm not sure if it's on Netflix...I do know that it's available on Amazon.com as a streamed movie.  It's $0.99 for a 24-hour rental.  Can't beat that!

http://www.amazon.com/That-Sugar-Film-Damon-Gameau/dp/B0132TVFL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1452119238&sr=1-1&keywords=that+sugar+film

Get ready to be SUPER PISSED OFF at sugar, the big businesses, and advertisers!

I'm not sure if it's on Netflix...I do know that it's available on Amazon.com as a streamed movie.  It's $0.99 for a 24-hour rental.  Can't beat that!

http://www.amazon.com/That-Sugar-Film-Damon-Gameau/dp/B0132TVFL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1452119238&sr=1-1&keywords=that+sugar+film

Get ready to be SUPER PISSED OFF at sugar, the big businesses, and advertisers!

I'll check it out, thanks! I already have issues with the amount of sugar that's in our food, plus the way it's constantly pushed on my 7 year old. There isn't a day that goes by that she isn't offered some sort of sugary "treat" whether it's school, church or any other extra curricular activities that she participates in.

I know, sugar is everywhere.  It's pretty sad and scary.  It's even in products that should not contain sugar like bacon, turkey, chicken, beans.  Why?  What's the point?  If my memory serves me correctly, it says in that film that about 20% of the products in the grocery store do not contain some form of added sugar.  :blink:

Day 4!

OK, so I woke up at 4 a.m. today. Last round the same thing started to happen and I was hoping that wouldn't be the case this time. I don't want to be up that early! Is it my body telling me that's all the sleep I need? Do I need to go to bed at 8 p.m. to get in a full 8 hours?! I still feel sleepy when I get up and I end up feeling like I need a nap around mid-day.

Meals are:

M1 - sweet potato, bell pepper, onion, chicken sausage hash topped with one fried egg, small ramekin of blueberries/blackberries & coffee with coconut milk

M3 - i'm thawing a flank steak for stir-fry and i bought some baby bok choy yesterday...not sure what i'm going to do with it yet & cauliflower rice

Day 4!

OK, so I woke up at 4 a.m. today. Last round the same thing started to happen and I was hoping that wouldn't be the case this time. I don't want to be up that early! Is it my body telling me that's all the sleep I need? Do I need to go to bed at 8 p.m. to get in a full 8 hours?! I still feel sleepy when I get up and I end up feeling like I need a nap around mid-day.

Meals are:

M1 - sweet potato, bell pepper, onion, chicken sausage hash topped with one fried egg, small ramekin of blueberries/blackberries & coffee with coconut milk

M3 - i'm thawing a flank steak for stir-fry and i bought some baby bok choy yesterday...not sure what i'm going to do with it yet & cauliflower rice

Many people report better sleep when they hold back their starchy veg until meal three. You could also try keeping fruit for meal so as not to spike blood sugar after having fasted overnight, and if you're not already doing so add in a magnesium supplement.

Do you practice good sleep hygiene? ie. no screen time for an hour or so before bed, dim lighting wherever you happen to be for that hour, bedroom kept at a cooler temp than rest of the house, black out blinds, no lights in bedroom, spending 15 mins outdoors upon wakening (or at least 15 mins - more if cloudy - at the same time every day...? All of these coupled with eating within an hour of wakening will help balance hormones, and particularly melatonin & cortisol levels and therefore will help improve sleep.

Failing that go to bed @ 8pm  :P 

Hope this helps!!

Many people report better sleep when they hold back their starchy veg until meal three. You could also try keeping fruit for meal so as not to spike blood sugar after having fasted overnight, and if you're not already doing so add in a magnesium supplement.

Do you practice good sleep hygiene? ie. no screen time for an hour or so before bed, dim lighting wherever you happen to be for that hour, bedroom kept at a cooler temp than rest of the house, black out blinds, no lights in bedroom, spending 15 mins outdoors upon wakening (or at least 15 mins - more if cloudy - at the same time every day...? All of these coupled with eating within an hour of wakening will help balance hormones, and particularly melatonin & cortisol levels and therefore will help improve sleep.

Failing that go to bed @ 8pm  :P 

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll be certain to try and implement some of your suggestions and see if that helps!

Round 2 Day 5!

I woke early again. 3 a.m. this time, but it was due to cramps! This was unexpected, as I normally have another week before dealing with that. I was able to go back to sleep after popping some Ibuprofen.

I took a great Yogalates class yesterday. It was very low impact and I was by far the youngest person in the class, but it was so relaxing! It needs to be part of my weekly routine. Today will make my 5th day back at the gym. It was the mini goal that I set for myself this week and I feel really good. I've missed exercise being a regular part of my life.

Meals are:

M1 - zucchini noodles tossed with leftover brussels sprouts, leftover sauteed onions, chorizo chicken sausage & topped with a fried egg

coffee with coconut milk

Post WO - 3 slices of pork tenderloin & sweet potato

M2 - leftover flank steak stir-fry with broccoli & bok choy (the cauliflower rice is not something I plan on making again....bleck)

Mini Meal - crock pot turkey chili with guacamole (my daughter has a birthday party from 6-8 & it's an hour away, so the mini meal it is)

M3 - chicken salad wrapped in butter lettuce

Round 2, Day 6!

I had a food dream last night! I'm thinking it might have been triggered by a near miss I had with some almond butter. I was hungry after 9 last night and I didn't want a full meal, so I was thinking almond butter and a green apple would do the trick....well, I was just about to lick the spoon and I thought let's check the ingredients, yep, SUGAR! I would have kicked myself. Moral of the story - read your labels;) Otherwise you will dream binge on hummus and pretzels - of all things! Why couldn't it have been wine and cheese?!?!

Meals are:

M1 - two egg omelet with green bell pepper, onion, portobello mushroom, italian chicken sausage topped with tomato and guacamole; a small ramekin of blueberries/blackberries; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - crock pot turkey chili over zucchini noodles

M3- almond crusted chicken "parm" with mashed potatoes & green beans

Rough night of sleep last night.....I also have PINK EYE! WTH!

Now, I spend A LOT of time with germy little children and I went to the cesspool AKA Chuck E. Cheese for a birthday party on Friday night, so I shouldn't be too surprised. Oh, well. It shouldn't last more than a day or two -  I hope. I just don't want it to derail my gym routine....I'm actually looking forward to going tomorrow:)

Meals are:

M1 - sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, portobello mushroom & chicken sausage hash with a fried egg; ramekin of blueberries/blackberries; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - chicken "parm" & veggie loaded salad

M3 - roast chicken breast, butternut squash & brussels sprouts

I need to prep a little today and make a store run for some produce. I also need to meal plan a bit more this week than I did last week.

Round 2, Day 8! 

I feel really good today!

I slept great, rose early to start a new bible study, hit the gym and my eye seems to be back to normal! I'm feeling less bloated - thank goodness:)

I did a bit of weekly prep yesterday. I roasted up some parsnips, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, chicken breasts and made some ground chicken zucchini patties (so good!). I need to make up another batch of mayo today. Time to take the lemon and egg out of the fridge.

Meals are:

M1 - butternut squash, parsnip, onion, bell pepper, portobello mushroom & chicken sausage hash with a fried egg; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - chicken "parm" strips with marinara sauce on zucchini noodles

M3 - chicken zucchini patty topped with broccoli slaw with jalapeno mayo & brussels sprouts

Round 2, Day 9!

Another great night of sleep! I think the daily workouts are helping me STAY asleep. I've managed to workout a total of 7 days and I feel great. I told myself that after 30 gym visits I can treat myself to new workout clothes. In the past I would have celebrated with a bottle (yes I said a bottle) of wine, but that is now firmly in the past! There's a Color Vibe run coming up in March and it's my goal to run the whole thing! I've been using a C25K app on my phone. I'm finding it a great way to get back into running.

Meals are:

M1 - butternut squash, parsnip, onion, bell pepper, portobello mushroom, chicken sausage hash with a fried egg; small ramekin of blackberries/blueberries; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - mixed greens with broccoli slaw drizzled with olive oil/balsamic; chicken salad with mayo, celery & red onion; iced green tea

M3 - oven baked chicken fajitas

Round 2, Day 10!

Another good night's sleep! 

Last night is the first night that I had any real cravings for a snack around bedtime. I almost gave in to a green apple and almond butter, but I just turned out the light and went to sleep. Now Day 10, I start to get very bored with my food and I feel that the texture all becomes the same as well as everything seems too "rich" (that's the only word that comes to mind). It's time to sit down and meal plan!

Meals are:

M1 - butternut squash, parsnip, onion, bell pepper, portobello mushroom, chicken sausage hash with a fried egg; coffee with coconut milk

Post WO - chicken breast

M2 - mixed greens with broccoli slaw drizzled with olive oil/balsamic; chicken salad with mayo, celery & red onion; iced green tea

M3 - chicken zucchini patty with jalapeno mayo, broccoli slaw and brussels sprouts

Round 2, Day 11

I've been battling some cravings the past couple of days, but I've managed to get through them without filling the void with "compliant" food. That in itself is a big win for me. I need to sit down and take the time to figure out what I'm going to do when this 30 days is up. I wouldn't say I did a 100% completely proper reintro last time around, so maybe I should start there and see how it goes. I was tossing around stretching this past the 30 days, but I don't know if I have it in me....maybe Whole 30 most of the time unless it's a special occasion? But what constitutes special? A Tuesday night glass of wine with friends or a big birthday? I have to think on it.....All I know is I feel amazing when I eat this way. It's a complete 360 from how I was feeling 11 days ago. No heartburn, excellent sleep, clearer skin, more energy and it's only Day 11!

Meals are:

M1 - butternut squash, parsnip, chicken sausage hash over zucchini noodles topped with a fried egg (breakfast didn't do it for me today; time to switch it up) coffee with coconut milk

Post WO - chicken zucchini patty with brussels sprouts

M3 - not sure....I have some leftovers to eat or I might make a BLT salad with crispy chicken thighs

Round 2, Day 12

Is it just me or is this round flying by? Can't believe I'm almost 1/2 way through. My daughter is home sick today, so that means no gym. I will NOT let this derail me from my routine. She's off Mon.-Wed. next week and I don't want to lose all the progress I've made. I have an elliptical and 21 Day Fix DVD's that I could do...although I'm not feeling very motivated. I've really gotten used to the gym and I actually like going:)

Meals are:

M1 - I had a mish mash of whatever was lurking in the fridge; zucchini noodles with some chicken, root veggies, potato cakes & a fried egg; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - crispy chicken BLTA salad

M3 - who knows? I was thinking about making coconut shrimp & mango salsa wraps......

Round 2, Day 13

Still going strong! I really missed going to the gym yesterday. I plan on doing a DVD this morning.

The only issue I seem to still have is bloat. I should probably evaluate some of my veggie choices.......see if that helps.

Meal are:

M1 - butternut squash, sweet potato, brussels sprout, chicken sausage hash with a fried egg; small ramekin of berries; coffee with coconut milk

Post WO - pork tenderloin (I made a fennel crusted pork last night and it was so good); small serving of sprouts or potatoes

M2 - tuna with homemade mayo, celery, red onion on spinach with cucumber tossed in balsamic/evoo

M3 - leftovers! either crispy chicken thigh or more pork;) with some sort of veg....

Round 2, Day 14! Two weeks in!

I think my darling daughter may have shared her cold/flu whatever she has with me....on the upside she seems to be feeling better. It's cold and rainy in Eastern NC today, so the rest of the day will be spent resting and I don't feel guilty since we can't get outside. I did get my workout in yesterday and I feel it today, but it feels great! 

Meals are:

M1 - butternut squash, sweet potato, zucchini noodle, chicken sausage hash with one fried egg; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - egg drop soup (chicken broth, two beaten eggs, couple drops of fish sauce, green onion, s&p); light on the veggies/protein, but I just don't feel well; I may add in some carrots with almond butter after I finish the soup

M3 - turkey burgers; steamed broccoli

Round 2, Day 15!

1/2 way through! I have to say that I've been a bit more tired these past two days...but it could be that my body is fighting off a cold that really wants to start. My throat is killing me. Normally I reach for throat drops, but that's out of the question right now. I've been drinking a lot of hot tea and gargling with salt water. I hope it goes away and tomorrow I can get to the gym.

Meals are:

M1 - butternut squash, sweet potato, zucchini, chicken sausage hash with a fried egg; small ramekin of berries; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - turkey burger with sauteed onions, spinach, grape tomatoes, mayo, mustard, pickles; roasted red potatoes

M3 - not sure.....I'm thinking of throwing together chicken soup to ease my throat

Round 2, Day 16

Ugh, well I'm officially sick:( It's tough not going for my normal "cure alls". Hot toddies, throat drops and toast...I've been drinking a ton of hot tea and I made a pot of chicken/veggie soup last night. Not sure that much of anything is helping. I hope to feel better tomorrow, so I can make my Wednesday Spin class.

Meals are:

M1 - butternut squash, sweet potato, zucchini noodle, chicken sausage hash with a fried egg; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - chicken/veggie soup; celery with almond butter & raisins

M3 - leftovers.....or turkey taco salad if I have the energy

Round 2, Day 17 & 18

Well, I'm still sick....it's really affected my appetite. I'm sticking with the meal template as best as possible, but I can't taste anything, so I've been eating really basic.

Day 17

Meals are:

M1 - butternut squash, sweet potato, zucchini noodle, chicken sausage hash with one fried egg; coffee with coconut milk

M2 - chicken veggie soup

M3 - zucchini ginger soup, three scrambled eggs, banana

Day 18

Meal are:

M1 - zucchini ginger soup

M2 - scrambled eggs; banana

M3 - ? ground turkey taco salad.....

Round 2, Day 19

Still under the weather....I'm starting to get really annoyed at how awful I feel! I'm so congested that I still can't taste anything which makes me want to not even eat! Thankfully the flu like symptoms of the body aches and fever are gone....sort of. My daughter is home from school for a "snow day" of which we aren't even getting any snow....so I'm going to rally and at least get some housework done. Maybe a nap later?!?

Meals are:

M1 - turkey burger topped with mayo & broccoli slaw over some random leftover veggies

M2 - zucchini ginger soup & scrambled eggs

M3 - turkey taco salad or more eggs since I can't taste what I'm even eating - yes I'm grouchy!

Archived